“Highly recommend”

Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Charlotte
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Just returned from staying here before and after a BVI cruise. What a great find! Chris and Gail went out of their way to help us enjoy St. Thomas- recommending restaurants, lending an umbrella, setting up a taxi tour, cooking a great breakfast, making rum punch, loaning people books. What a great place. I would highly recommend, except when we want to go back. Don't take our room!

Room Tip: An inside room is an inside room! A shared bathroom is a shared bathroom! Read the fine print when...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We only stayed a day and night but had a great time! There is a bunch of stairs but it is well worth the walk up. The hotel has a beautiful view of the city. Shops and places to eat are within walking distance. I loved the atmosphere of the hotel and the people working there were awesome! I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nightsail
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed one night after a week sailing in the BVI. I had read the reviews, and knew what to expect. Yes there are a lot of stairs, but it's not Mt. Everest. Our room was on the veranda level, was clean, the AC worked great, our only complaint was a lack of hot water in the shower, but having just spent a week on a sailboat with the same problem, we were used to it.
Now let's talk about Gale, what a gem she is! Great help on a resturant for dinner, transportation to the airport, and everything else. Her Rum Punch is wonderful! Breakfast was great!
Don't let the steps keep you from this neat B&B!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jake_159
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Funky and Fun with Fabulous service! Ms. Gayle is a delight and made our stay at Galleon House delightful! From delivery of her famous rum punch pool side, her beautiful smile and helpful tips, to the perfect morning breakfast, we enjoyed our stay and her commitment to the guests!
We liked that the Galleon had an awesome view but was still close enough to talk in to town.
Clean room too!

Room Tip: The bay view room was worth the extra expense
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Albertslund, Denmark
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at the galleon house for 3 nights With My 11 year old son and we liked the place. When you are at those beautiful Islands you Arent Much at home But when we where we couldn complain and the lady even gave us some beachtowels when we checked out. Great service.

• Stayed April 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the Galleon House Bed and Breakfast in Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas in late March 2014. I found it to be the single most disappointing lodging experience I have ever had. The staff was rude and unaccommodating. There were three flights of outside stairs to get to the lobby and another three flights of stairs to get to the room. There was no staff to help with the luggage, nor was there a secure place to store that which one might not wish to carry up five or six flights of stairs. There was no parking for our car. We had to park on the street. The staff told us that walking to restaurants or off the property after dark might be dangerous.

One of the rooms that we were assigned to had no windows, the other had no working air conditioning. After complaining that the air conditioning didn't work I was moved to another room that was dirty and had no functioning lock. The room came with neither soap or shampoo. My traveling companions were finally moved to a room with a window, but were assessed an up charge for that room.

When we told the owner that we would like to cancel our reservation for the one night stay in 10 days from that date he simply refused. He told us that he had already charged our credit card and would not reverse the charge.

In a response to a previously written criticism of his property by someone else he responded that they had threatened him with a bad review. I, in fact told him that I would be writing a bad review depicting his property as the huge disappointment and terrible property that it is. I would further comment that it is clear that his only interest is in charging as much as possible for a substandard property, knowing that his guests have no recourse.

I own a hotel in California and am the past Chair of the California Lodging Industry Association. I know a little about hotel operations and am embarrassed to have the owner of the Galleon House as an industry associate, no matter how remotely.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank joraddon
GalleonHouse, Owner at Galleon House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
This review is from the same group that wrote under the name andrew n. I have already addressed the issue of extortion in my response to that review. I would like to address the other inaccuracies in this response.

We do, in fact, have many stairs. We do not hide that fact. It is all over our reviews and website. We are proud of the historical aspect of our property and understand that it can be a limitation for some guests. We do, however, provide secure luggage storage that is only five stairs off the street level.

We do have only street parking. Again this is on our website and all booking engines and TripAdvisor.

We do have some interior rooms. Interior means there may be no window. This is what the guest booked and paid for. They wanted to upgrade to a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor.

We do not provide soap or shampoo in the rooms, or have bell service in order to keep costs down so that we may continue to be the best hotel on St Thomas in the budget price category.

Walking after dark in any big city in the world may be dangerous. We advise all our guests to use common sense when traveling anywhere after dark.

We have a 14 day cancellation policy, as do most hotels on St Thomas. This is clearly marked on all booking engines and our website. He told me he was fully aware of the cancellation policy, but didn't care. He wanted his money back.

I was never rude or unaccommodating, even when threatened by this guest. He did not tell me that my hotel was "a huge disappointment and terrible property," in fact, he complimented me on the hotel while enjoying rum punch on the verandah and said the delicious breakfast was fantastic.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had booked two rooms for a before and after stay for a sailing adventure. We based the reservation on Trip Advisor recommendations. Do not stay at this hotel. First, it is on a hill above the town and there is no parking at all for the hotel...only on the street if you get lucky to find something within a few blocks. The surrounding area is quite dangerous and in fact the hotel warned us not to go even one block away at night. They have cut a back way into their "recommended" restaurant so guests "will be safe". It is at least three flights of stone stairs just to get to the "lobby" and there was no bell service or help from the hotel staff. The rooms are another three or four flights of outdoor stairs more. No elevator. We were initially shown to an "interior" room with no windows measuring about 10 feet in diameter that smelled strongly of disinfectant. After requesting a room change, we got another room but had to pay an additional charge. The air conditioner was feeble and barely worked. The AC in the other room was broken and the room was very hot. After negotiation, and after attempts at repair, we got yet another room. They had to know it was broken when we were given the room initially. The rooms were small and threadbare. Towels quite small and thin, no soap or shampoo, and no deadbolt on the doors. One of the rooms could not be locked at all. No safe in room. We were quite uncomfortable and decided not to stay there the following week. The manager was adamant that he would do nothing to help with the cancellation charge and we were at a negotiation disadvantage since we had prepaid using Priceline (no help by the way). We offered to split the difference but he refused. Clearly, he knew we had no recourse. Priceline called him but he still refused. We disliked the place so much we gave up the last night payment and stayed elsewhere. Do not ever stay here. I do not understand the positive reviews I have seen on this site. Manager was rude. Breakfast was decent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank andrew n
GalleonHouse, Owner at Galleon House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
This guest threatened me with the following "yes, I am aware of the cancellation policy, but you will refund all my money or I will CRUSH you on Tripadvisor! I will write the worst review you have ever had."
I did not give in to his extortion and this inaccurate review is the result. I'm sure savvy travelers will see the overwhelming number of excellent reviews we have and realize that some people are trying to get something for free or just can't be pleased.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Galleon House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!