“Its in town”

Windward Passage Hotel
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel is located right in Charlotte Amalie, so you can walk the down town shops, eat at the local restaurants and keep away from the cruise ship area, this is the hotel's most important feature. Only the front facing rooms have a view the side and back rooms don't have much to look at. Rooms seem to have been recently rennovated. Live music usually stops at around 10 PM. You can hear it from any room in the hotel so keep this in mind when you book your room. Breakfast starts at 7 AM-ish so no need to get up early. This is an older hotel, its been around forever, so don't expect an ultra modern setting, parking is also limited, keep this in mind if you have a rental car.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms that have a view of the bay are more expensive, back facing rooms look over a gar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I met a couple from Texas when I was in St. John (Trunk Bay is beautiful) last year, and this is where they stayed. They assured me it's decent, and it is. Pool is never crowded. It's a shame there is only one restaurant on site, and it's expensive. Luckily, this location is walking distance to many other restaurants and plenty of shopping. Also across the street from Charlotte Amalie ferry dock, although half the time the ferry you need is not running, so you have to go to Red Hook, anyway.

Most ladies at front desk are nice. It helps to be super nice to them first. Bribing works, especially if you need to check in a few hours early.

Complaints: Thermostat won't go below 73 degrees F. This is SET that way per the hotel. Nothing is malfunctioning, it's just that electricity is so expensive here, and they don't want guests having the ability to change it to, say, 66 degrees. So that's a bummer. Toilet slow to flush. Brown-yellow colored water comes out of bathroom sink and bathtub. I've learned to brush my teeth with bottled water. Walls, floors and ceilings are thin. I hear a lot of bumping around and noise. It's hard to fall asleep when to my left I hear people screaming and laughing out at the pool (thankfully it closes at 10pm), and to my right is the commentator at a baseball game, yelling every play over the loud speaker). I heard 4th floor has been renovated, but I'm on 2nd floor. My bathroom has been updated, but I still have an old television (1980s called and wants their television back)! I spoke to a guest on 4th floor who has a flat screen tv.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. I think it's $20 extra to face the water, and may be worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived on a week night to a very happening front desk and were greeted by Carla who was very kind. We asked to see our room prior to checking in because of all the negative reviews. We were given a room on the 4th floor that was updated and renovated.

After checking into our room, we noticed that the remote control didn't work. They sent someone fix it however once the problem couldn't be resolved they changed our room. The room was two doors down and was also renovated. The AC remote didn't work but the room stayed at a nice temperature the entire visit.

Overall both rooms had clean sheets, towels. We knew that the hotel wasn't the
Ritz or Marriott.

We liked the hotel for its clean pool, nice mini golf! They have a very basic fitness centre, bar and resturant as well. If you want to have access to the ferry to St John or BVI's you can walk across the street.

If you want to do the downtown sites you don't need a car. The hotel also offers complimentary round trip bus to Megans Bay every morning.

Right outside the hotel is Laine's Food Truck(Blue and White) The food is awesome! She features Breakfast and Lunch. It's very affordable. White fish cakes to die for! She makes pancakes for the kiddos too! Walk down the street right past The Greenhouse make a left and you'll find Glady's!!! The best Curried Chicken on the island! $3.00 Rum and Pepsi's too!

Overall, I'd recommand the Windward Passage to anyone that knows when booking that you get what you pay for...It's a place we'll stay again!!@

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before commiting to it!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ogb
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel was an unexpected destination for us...after booking into somewhere awful we were desperate for somewhere clean and comfy to stay and found this by chance. More of a business hotel it was a little impersonal, but clean and spacious. The room was fine, nice bathroom, big comfortable bed. The bar was limited...for example no white wine on the 2 occasions we tried it, and the restaurant was expensive...no bar snacks available...but all in all, not too bad.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel has a sea view, the rear has a view of the seedy side of the town.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were here for just a quick overnight stop, we came in from the BVI at the ferry terminal and it is literally across the road which is why we booked it really!! The room was very comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and it is within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. It is about a 10min cab ride to the airport. No complaints, would and will use it again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is literally across the road from the ferry terminal which takes you to the BVI and other Virgin Islands. It is also about a 10 minute taxi ride from the St Thomas airport. (about $10 per person!) Great position!
It looks quite grand and large from the outside. I feel it has lost its "hey day" but the staff are really helpful and trying to do their best.

There were a few hiccups during my stay which were frustrating.........for example, the light in my bathroom went out 4-5 times and I was left in the dark. Then went to ring reception but they never pick up the phone. Each time I had to dress and go downstairs to tell them my lights kept tripping out...........they kept fixing it (a half hour exercise) and eventually it stayed on.

The room was light and breezy and pretty clean.........sort of, if you looked in the "corners" it needed a good scrub......but passable. Bed extremely comfortable...........clean sheets!
Good working wifi in room!
Clean modern bathroom (if your light is working and you can see!!)
Nice pool.
Breakfasts available, OK, downstairs. When I was there, a bus load of tourists were there and the staff were concentrating on them........so service was a bit slow.

Nice and close to French Town where there are a couple of fabulous seafood restaurants.
Most importantly nice, friendly and helpful staff which makes ALL the difference!

I have to stay there again this December on the way home - so will try to remember to let you know if it has improved.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank IslandloverMelbourne
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was allowed to check in early which was very convenient. The view from my room was a hillside of houses which wasn't too bad except for the debris filled bin a floor down. Unfortunately, when I went to take my shower at the end of a long day, halfway through my shower, the water started to come out looking like rust. I had to stop showering and call the front desk who told me that it would clear up. It didn't, and management could not get me into any other room with clear water so after an hour of waiting for it to clear up to no avail and no offers of any kind to reconcile the situation. I chose to leave the hotel and ask for a refund which they gave me. I understand that sometimes these inconveniences do happen but some reasonable attempt to reconcile the situation should have been made, so for that reason I was very dissatisfied with my stay there. That said, I must mention however that the Virgin Islands has got to be one of the most beautiful groups of islands in the world but next time I will choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!