“Acceptable accomodations”

Windward Passage Hotel
Jenks, OK
“Acceptable accomodations”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nothing fancy.... check in was slow, but concierge service was great. Close to the bay and decent access to the airport shuttles. Acceptable hop off point for BVI or St. John. Taxi driver access was quite good to Red Hook.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Kathryn M, Guest Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Joe H: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am pleased you found our accommodations acceptable, and you were pleased with the concierge service; I will pass on your compliments to the staff, I'm sure they will be trilled!

We are very fortunate to have such a great location; within close proximity to so many fine restaurants and attractions. Being directly across from the BVI ferry terminal and the St Croix seaplane shuttle certainly makes for an ideal stopover when visiting our neighboring islands.

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to serving you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Hungarian first
Montesano, Washington
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our large family had the misfortune of staying here overnight after our United flight to home was cancelled. Our family ended up getting 3 different rooms. Rooms are small to decent in size. Bathrooms were ok. Everything looked ok, but you just get a feeling that it's not very clean. AC on the wall was very noisy all night and little smelly - hint of sewage?!
Pool was rather small - nothing great. Free WiFi was certainly a plus!
Using our airline issued food vouchers, we checked out the restaurant. Inside the restaurant was little pathetic, however the outside courtside dining ( by the bar) was very nice. For dinner we had conch fritters, wings, shrimp cocktails, greek salads and chicken ceasar salads. Salads were huge and very yummy! Other appetizers were also pleasantly well prepared and great.
For breakfast, we had spanich omelet with breakfast potatoes ($12). They were one of the best omelets I've had. Prices were very reasonable given that we were in St. Thomas.
Location is great, depending on what you are looking for - close to the airport and duty free shopping with near by straw market for your cheap knockoffs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kayak40: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I'm sorry to hear your flight was cancelled; that would most certainly put a damper on anyone's vacation, especially when traveling with a large group. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you. I am so pleased you enjoyed your dinner, and breakfast the following morning, I will relay your compliments to the staff; I'm sure they will be thrilled! We are very fortunate to have such talent in our kitchen. Many of our guests enjoy dining al fresco, while others prefer the comfort of our air-conditioned dining room; we are pleased to offer both. I'm happy you enjoyed being within walking distance of the many fine attractions Charlotte Amalie has to offer. We agree that Vendor's Plaza is a great outdoor market where you can find nice inexpensive souvenirs.

Thank you for being our guest, we hope to serve you again someday!

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is near Downtown shopping and restaurants. Property needs updating and maintenance. Bathroom fixtures leak, water temperature control unreliable. TV cable reception poor.
Rooms functional, but, very outdated. Only venue plus is downtown location.

Stayed July 2014
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Pete F:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, favorable and unfavorable provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and service. Renovating our guestrooms, as well as public areas of the hotel, has been an ongoing project. I'm sorry to hear you were inconvenienced with leaky bathroom fixtures and poor cable TV reception. These are all areas we are working to improve. Our goal is to provide clean comfortable rooms, modernly appointed and with state-of-the-art amenities. I'm pleased you enjoyed our location; we are very fortunate to be within walking distance of so many fine attractions.

Thank you for being our guest, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again!
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

The front desk was awful and it took 25 minutes to check in. I was completely ignored until I said something. The lady apologized but she did not even acknowledge me until I said something even helping someone I line before me. This is extremely rude customer service and as such I will not stay here again. This is not the first time this has happened. The rooms are not all that great either and the restaurant and gift shop are never open so don't plan on getting any water.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FlutterBye999
Kathryn M, Guest Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Sunni B: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable, provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I'm sorry you were displeased with the service at our Front Desk; there is nothing worse than feeling ignored, and it certainly does not portray the level of service we strive to achieve.

Unlike many destinations around the world, summertime in the Caribbean is our slow season when there is very little traffic in and around the hotel. As a result, our dining room is not open for lunch during the summer months. Fortunately, we are within walking distance of many fine restaurants and cafes. Our dining room is open every day for breakfast and dinner. Guests who wish to visit our gift shop are directed to the Front Desk where they are then personally escorted by one of our hospitality specialists. We find that most of our clients enjoy this personalized service.

We hope you will visit us again one day.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Windward Passage is a great hotel for a night or two. The rooms are clean, linens are fresh, flat screens, wifi, working desk, carpet is clean, bathrooms clean and well appointed for the price.

Only challenge was I paid through Expedia for an upgraded room with a sea view. Upon checkin the hotel did not put us in a sea view room, instead we woke up the next morning to a view of the baseball field next door. When I inquired at the front desk the next morning the attendant stated that our reservation clearly says "upgraded room, sea view", but she had no idea why the desk attendant did not put us in a sea view the night before. She further stated that since we paid through Expedia we must go back to Expedia for a refund in the rate difference.

I'm currently working with Expedia to correct this situation.

A clear oversight by the hotel that now is back on me to correct.

This situation is my only challenge with the hotel. Otherwise I would stay there again, especially while passing through to other islands. It would not be my preference to stay there for a long term visit to St. Thomas.

Room Tip: Make sure if you paid for upgraded room that front desk knows and places you in appropriate room cat...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kathryn M, Guest Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Good Day, Goislands: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. We are so pleased you found your room comfortable and accommodating. We have recently made improvements to our guestrooms in terms of upgraded amenities, it is rewarding to receive such a favorable review! I am bewildered though, why you were not given the room you reserved. Furthermore, you should not be saddled with the task of seeking a refund from Expedia, since it was clearly our oversight. I urge you to contact the hotel directly; our toll free number is (800) 524-7389, I will personally address the matter. I look forward to speaking with you soon!- Kathryn McAllister, ext 256
Hubbard, Oregon
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The desk clerk and the location was the only plus to the Windward Passage. I could not even stay here for 24 hours due to ants all over the bathroom counter, roach running around in my closet, and jackhammers right by the pool. I did walk down about 6 or so blocks to a great place to eat and relax with a couple of margaritas. But, I was told to not be out past 5pm because this is and looks like a "shady" area. There was absolutely NO way that this could be a relaxing week away from my stressful life at work and home.

Room Tip: Do not stay here........
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Kathryn M, Public Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Wendy C:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am glad you found our location convenient, and received pleasant customer service at our Front Desk. I apologize for the little invaders in your room, unfortunately a disadvantage of being on a tropical island. We exterminate on a regular basis, but sometimes they continue to thrive. I regret that you were disturbed by our renovations. We have been making improvements to our 2nd floor pool deck and surrounding areas; the active construction is scheduled between the hours of 10am and 4pm, when the majority of our guests are of property- either on business appointments, or enjoying St Thomas. I am pleased you took advantage of being within walking distance of the many fine attractions Charlotte Amalie has to offer. As in any new city, it's important to be aware of your surroundings, and travel in a group when possible.

I hope you will visit us again someday, so that we may restore your faith in our establishment.
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were a bit apprehensive after seeing some other reviews, but we found that accommodations at the Windward Passage better than expected.
Upon arrival the desk clerk was friendly and ‘island’ fast (which is slightly less than normal speed on the mainland).
The room was modern and everything work and was clean. There were a couple of dead bugs by the door, but this is a tropical environment and the door didn’t have an air tight seal. The room was not musty and had plenty of towels.
We ate that night in the restaurant and found the food more than acceptable
The only issue we had that when we asked for a taxi the attendant shuffled us off to an unlicensed taxi outside the fence. Wasn’t an issue, just have to make sure you get a price before you leave.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hasher67
Kathryn M, Public Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Hasher67:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. We are delighted you found our accommodations enjoyable and comfortable. We are very fortunate to have such a great location, within close proximity to so many fine attractions.

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to serving you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,703 reviews

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!