“Avoid in your travels”

Windward Passage Hotel
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Avoid in your travels”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel needs a major renovation, and not the small changes they are slowly making. Checking in well after the appropriate time - we waited for a half hour in the lobby until we were allowed keys because house keeping wasn't answering their radio to tell the front desk if they were done in the room. Really, it was almost dinner time? We got to the room and found a sign outside saying they were in the midst of construction and there would be noise from 10am-7pm, this wasn't ideal but those seemed like ok hours. Let me say the construction started at 8am, but if you slept that late you're lucky. If you're given a room on the water-facing side of the hotel you won't be sleeping in because you'll be awoken by the sea planes. So up bright and early we took cold showers - cold because there was no hot water - and left. (oh and be warned - you won't be able to use the "gym" because it has 2 machines and no AC, unless you're a glutton for punishment).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 27coolbeans
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear 27CoolBeans: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable provide us with valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I regret that you were unable to sleep-in late during your stay with us. Being centrally located in downtown Charlotte Amalie does put us right in the middle of all the activity of our bustling little port. We find most of our guests enjoy taking in the cruise ships, inter-island ferries and seaplanes which connect us to our neighboring islands, I'm so sorry you were disturbed.

While we have very little demand for a big sprawling fitness center, we try to provide at least the basics for the comfort of our guests. Our small gym is equipped with 2 stationary bikes, 2 treadmills, roman chair, step blocks, TV and shower. The lights and AC are motion activated and turn on when someone enters the facility.

Thank you for being our guest; I hope you will visit us again someday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Hungarian first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Windward Passage Hotel is a decently-sized hotel located in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. Our rooms had a great view of the water where planes took off and cruises docked. The hotel also has a restaurant (overpiced), a pool, and a gift shop where you can get snorkel gear, surf shirts, and other beach-related items. Due to it's close proximity to shops and restaurants, you can easily walk, take a safari bus ($1 per person), or take a taxi ($6 - $10 per person) to whatever part of St. Thomas you want to explore. Each day the hotel offers a complimentary service to take you from the hotel to Magens Bay Beach. A bus comes to the hotel at 10:30 AM (Mon - Sat) or 11:00 AM (Sun) and takes you to the beach for an admittance fee of $4 per person. At 3:30 PM (Mon - Sat) or at 4:00 PM (Sun) the bus takes you back to the hotel. The maid-service is good, the bathrooms are clean (I still don't understand the point of the "peeping" window that allows you to see inside the bathroom), and the front-desk is very helpful and friendly. The A/C Unit did have a couple issues, but this is very typical in St. Thomas so don't expect to find better. Overall, I enjoyed staying at the Windward Passage, and want come again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, as it reduces the noise level
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear ChristianSamuel:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of several of our amenities. We are very fortunate to have such a great location within walking distance of so many fine attractions. Our complimentary shuttle to Magens Bay provides our valued guests reliable transportation to and from our island's most popular beach.

The purpose of the bathroom window is to create airflow throughout the room, thus reducing the steam in the bathroom. It also makes the entire room feel bigger. The window does close however, offering complete privacy. We find that most of our guests enjoy this feature, I hope it wasn't a hindrance for you.

Most importantly, I happy you found our staff friendly and helpful.. Our people are our most valuable asset. Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to your next visit with us!
Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a good stay at the Windward Passage Hotel. The staff were friendly and the room was clean. We had a nice view of the bay from our room - definitely worth the upgraded price. Shower was pretty outdated and the water pressure was less than ideal. Never could get the safe to work. Well located if you need to be downtown. Good value for your money.

Room Tip: Be sure to pay for an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BudDiver:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I'm so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and you found our accommodations clean and comfortable. We are very fortunate to have such a great location, within walking distance of so many fine attractions. Our harbor view is certainly the preferred choice, our charming little port bustles with much activity. I regret the issue with your water pressure. Unfortunately that is not within our immediate control. Our property relies on Charlotte Amalie's municipal water system. When the main water system is not performing 100%, it results in weaker water pressure at the hotel.

Thank you for being our guest; we look forward to serving you again someday!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

For this being one of the longest standing hotel, I expected more. The housekeeping was slow on requests. Some of the employees were very inattentive, uncooperative & rude. Low water pressure, also when someone else turns on the water it either gets too hot or too cold. There's a peek-a-boo window leading from the bathroom to the bedroom & a crack to see that other person getting undressed. Bathroom door was unable to be locked. For the price that u pay nightly I expected better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear LCR1973:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable provide us with valuable feedback so the we may continue to improve our quality and service. I'm sorry to hear you found some of our employees inattentive and slow to respond to your needs. That certainly does not portray the level of customer service we strive to achieve. There appears to be additional coaching and training in that regard; I am grateful to you for bring this to our attention. I will share your candid remarks with our various department heads so that we may work towards improvements in those areas.

There is a window in the bathroom that opens into the rest of the guestroom; the purpose of that window is to create airflow throughout the room, thus reducing the steam in the bathroom. It also opens up the entire room, making it feel bigger. The window does close however, offering complete privacy.

Thank you for being our guest; I hope you will visit us again someday.

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel serves its purpose...it was a stop over for us on our way to St. John. The linens are very worn and thin, mildew in bathroom, dirty/stained carpet. The hotel really needs some TLC. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear traceynt:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I'm glad your found our property satisfactory for your stopover to St John. We are very fortunate to be conveniently located within close proximity to the ferry terminal and the seaplane shuttle; it makes for an ideal stopover when visiting our neighboring islands. I regret the state of your linens, the mildew and the stained carpet in your room. I will share your candid remarks with our head of Housekeeping so we may move forward with improvements in those areas. I am grateful to you for bringing that to our attention. I'm happy you enjoyed your breakfast, I will relay your compliments to our kitchen crew- I'm sure they will be delighted!

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to the opportunity of serving you again.
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Winward Passage is a very good hotel in St. Thomas it has a a lot amenities. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is great although our air condition had a issue it was fixed right away. So I highly suggest you stay wind ward passage in St. Thomas , Virgin Islands

Stayed July 2014
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear David A:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I am glad you found our rooms clean and comfortable, you were pleased with our amenities, and you enjoyed your breakfast; I will relay your compliments to the staff. I'm sure they will be thrilled!

Thank you for being our guest; we look forward to serving you again!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

AC blowing air, but not cold. Staff sent maintenance man whom told me that ac would blow cooler air when the sun went down. Basically, the room was a sweat box. Asked for a different room, but was told there was no other room available.

Went to bar for a drink...trying to cool off. Rude and inattentive, and I don't think she missed a moment of her TV show.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl K
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Carl K:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I'm sorry to hear the AC unit in your room did not cool to your satisfaction, and that we did not have another available room for you to move to. I am further appalled at the inattentiveness you received at the bar. There is certainly no excuse, and does not portray the level of service we strive to achieve. There is clearly a need for additional coaching and training in that regard. I am grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

I will share your candid remarks with our various department heads so we may work towards improvements in these areas. I hope you will visit us again one day so that we may restore your faith in our establishment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,703 reviews

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!