“Good Location”

Windward Passage Hotel
Dallas, Texas
“Good Location”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I admit I was hesitant to stay at this hotel because of the reviews, however we took a chance. We arrived to St Thomas without hotel reservations so decided to go with this hotel because of the price. The front desk clerk Marlene, who checked us both in & out, was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are okay, but the carpets can use a good cleaning. The pool is small but clean and refreshing. They have a pretty spiral staircase from the pool/courtyard to the first floor near the bar, but they lock it at 7pm. We did see the security guard James locking it & were disappointed because we wanted to order from the bar while at the pool. We mentioned to him that they needed a cocktail server for the pool area. Next thing we knew he was up there with the bartender Rosanne taking our drink orders. Wow! We were very impressed with the customer service. Both James and Rosanne kept coming to check on us! And she was the only one working the bar and did have a few customers there yet still took time to take care of us at the pool. Later we went and sat at the bar. Not very busy but good atmosphere. We ordered food which was pretty good. Rosanne gave us local tips on the area & suggested great places to go to. I do have to say that I was VERY impressed with the customer service here & will return. The hotel is within walking distance of some shops & restaurants as well as a flea market. By the way, there is a good Dominican place behind the hotel called Chicken Fry. VERY good, but don't walk back there after dark.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank FlyGirl129
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Flygirl129:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were pleased with our customer service. I have shared your comments with Marlene, James and Rosanne, who were all thrilled for the "shout out"! We are very fortunate to have such a great location, within walking distance of so may fine attractions.

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to serving you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Hungarian first
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed only one night in this hotel. The lobby was very nicely decorated and they offered iced lemon water for the guests. I can't say that I was fully impressed with the hotel room though. The shower in the bathroom did not work properly and the carpet was soiled in several areas so I wore shoes. The hotel has a restaurant that you can either eat inside or outside in the courtyard it also has a bar in the courtyard. The food is quite pricey; but seems to be the same all over the island of St Thomas.

Room Tip: Have only stayed here once and probably would not stay there again.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank dkwnz
Dear dkwnz:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our lobby area and courtyard bar & restaurant. I'm sorry you had trouble with your shower, I don't know the nature of the issue you experienced; we rely on the municipal water system and sometimes we have low water pressure as a result.

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to the opportunity of serving you again.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2014

On Behalf of Ms. Octavia Nurse... (My grandmother)...
On June 6, 2014, I booked my stay for myself and my disabled brother at the Windward Passage Hotel. They had a great price for a weekly stay which cost $911.40/per room with tax. I'm a native of St.Thomas the USVI. I thought this was be a great vacation get away and a chance for myself to rekindle with my family. I specifically advised that I would need the two rooms that I booked next door or adjacent to each other so that I would be able to keep an eye on my brother. When we got there at check-in, not only was the staff rude and argumentative, they were also unwilling to help. My vacation soon turned into a job when I had to constantly complain about things that were not right. The rooms that you are seeing in the pictures are not the rooms when you get there. We checked in on 7/10/2014. We were told that there would be microwaves and refrigerators in each room. When we got there there a refrigerators, but no microwave. When I asked about this, they told me they do not use microwaves at this location. We waited 4 1/2 hours for one room (332). When we finally got in room 332 the A/C was not working and the TV was not working. The room also needed major renovations. I asked if we were able to switch rooms due to discomfort and was advised that they could not accommodate us with another room. Instead they came and fixed the A/C and TV 2 hours later. Room 325, Oh GOD where's my list? 7/11/2014 there was a large bubble of water this carried out through the 13th. They were able to fix this. 7/14 the toilet wasn't working, took 4 days to fix that. On the 12th there was a bad day because my credit card company called me and told me that someone from the Windward was using my card and charging miscellaneous items. I went down and confronted the hostess. She advised that they were trying to obtain the balance of $411.40 which would have been the "balance" of my stay. Mind you, I used 2 separate credit cards to book each room for myself and brother. When I check out on 7/17 they didn't give me my receipt the lady advised that the computer was down. I asked her to mail me a copy she advised that she would. 2 weeks later I noticed that I never received a copy of the bill so I contacted my credit card institution who advised me that there was not only the charged of $911.40 (which I advised was correct) but they also charged $500 more. Why? I'm not sure - there were no damages left to the room at check out. The staff between 7/10-7/14 was rude and unfriendly. I was stressed out and came back to Orlando sick. Trust me when I say save your money.

Room Tip: 325/332 are out of the question.
8 Thank RJFam5346
Dear RJFam5346:

Thank your for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, favorable and unfavorable provide us with valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I am so sorry you had an unpleasant stay with us, it seems that everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. I can't image why you were not given rooms together, if that was requested at the time of booking. I'm further surprised you were not offered a room change after all the issues in your second room. Microwaves are not placed in each room however, they are available upon request; I am bewildered as to my you were not given one as requested.

There is absolutely no excuse for rude or unfriendly service by any member of our staff. I have shared your candid remarks with our GM and all department heads so that we may work towards drastic improvements in all areas.

I hope you will visit us again some day so that we may restore your faith in our establishment.

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in a harbor view room on the fourth floor. The room was comfortable with great beds and clean. We treated the staff friendly and received the same back from them. This hotel is located downtown so it is very convenient to shopping, but expect the same downtown conditions you would in any city.

We loved our stay and will definitely be back to this hotel, it is comfortable and we were able to spend a fantastic week relaxing on a great island.

PS. Take the shuttle to Magens Bay it is a great deal and you can relax at one of the ten best beaches in the world.

Room Tip: If you stay on the harbor side you are near a main thoroughfare so you will hear some noise. It quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C2CTravels
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear C2C Travels:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are quite fortunate to have such a great location, within walking distance of so many fine attractions. I'm glad you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle to and from Magens Bay Beach; we are happy to offer that service.

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to serving you again!
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visited the Windward Passage with my family for a week, and it was not a good experience!! A sign in the reception said that maintenance work was being done from 10am to 4pm, but in reality they started the very loud work at 7am, and finished at 5pm. Not cool when you are on holiday and would like the opportunity to sleep in. On top of that, two of our rooms were located next to a generator room, that contributed to the noise throughout the night.
The staff was exceptionally unfriendly. We paid for breakfast from home, but the menu had prices on it, and unless we could each eat two full courses, they made a lot of money on us! Nobody knew what to do about it, and didn't care. The daily waitress rolled her eyes and shook her head at everything like a simple request for a refill of coffee, or cream cheese for our bagels. All in all a very bad experience!

The "gym" was a small room with two treadmills and no air-condition...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
2 Thank Frederik N
Dear Frederik N:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I regret that you were disturbed by our renovation efforts. We usually don't begin the "heavy" work until much later in the morning however, being in the direct path of an approaching tropical storm, we had to do all we could in securing the property; which involved either securing or removing the loose tile on the 2nd floor pool deck, and quickly. We were very fortunate that the storm passed to our south, but we had to be prepared for the worst; as these storm tracks can change course in an instant. There is nothing more important than the safety of our guests. We did have to utilize our emergency generators as a result of rolling power-outages after the storm, in order to sufficiently power the property for our guests' comfort.

Although we do not have a high demand for a large fitness facility, we try to provide the basics for our valued guests. In addition to the 2 treadmills in our small gym, we also provide 2 stationary bikes, sit-up chair. TV and shower. The lights and AC are motion activated, and turn on when someone enters the room.

I'm sorry you were displeased with the service in our dining room. There is certainly no reason your server should have rolled her eyes, or displayed anything but grace and courtesy. I will share your candid remarks with our Head of Food & Beverage so that we may work towards improvement in that area.

Thank you for being our guest, we hope you will visit us again one day.
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel needs a major renovation, and not the small changes they are slowly making. Checking in well after the appropriate time - we waited for a half hour in the lobby until we were allowed keys because house keeping wasn't answering their radio to tell the front desk if they were done in the room. Really, it was almost dinner time? We got to the room and found a sign outside saying they were in the midst of construction and there would be noise from 10am-7pm, this wasn't ideal but those seemed like ok hours. Let me say the construction started at 8am, but if you slept that late you're lucky. If you're given a room on the water-facing side of the hotel you won't be sleeping in because you'll be awoken by the sea planes. So up bright and early we took cold showers - cold because there was no hot water - and left. (oh and be warned - you won't be able to use the "gym" because it has 2 machines and no AC, unless you're a glutton for punishment).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 27coolbeans
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear 27CoolBeans: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable provide us with valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I regret that you were unable to sleep-in late during your stay with us. Being centrally located in downtown Charlotte Amalie does put us right in the middle of all the activity of our bustling little port. We find most of our guests enjoy taking in the cruise ships, inter-island ferries and seaplanes which connect us to our neighboring islands, I'm so sorry you were disturbed.

While we have very little demand for a big sprawling fitness center, we try to provide at least the basics for the comfort of our guests. Our small gym is equipped with 2 stationary bikes, 2 treadmills, roman chair, step blocks, TV and shower. The lights and AC are motion activated and turn on when someone enters the facility.

Thank you for being our guest; I hope you will visit us again someday.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Windward Passage Hotel is a decently-sized hotel located in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. Our rooms had a great view of the water where planes took off and cruises docked. The hotel also has a restaurant (overpiced), a pool, and a gift shop where you can get snorkel gear, surf shirts, and other beach-related items. Due to it's close proximity to shops and restaurants, you can easily walk, take a safari bus ($1 per person), or take a taxi ($6 - $10 per person) to whatever part of St. Thomas you want to explore. Each day the hotel offers a complimentary service to take you from the hotel to Magens Bay Beach. A bus comes to the hotel at 10:30 AM (Mon - Sat) or 11:00 AM (Sun) and takes you to the beach for an admittance fee of $4 per person. At 3:30 PM (Mon - Sat) or at 4:00 PM (Sun) the bus takes you back to the hotel. The maid-service is good, the bathrooms are clean (I still don't understand the point of the "peeping" window that allows you to see inside the bathroom), and the front-desk is very helpful and friendly. The A/C Unit did have a couple issues, but this is very typical in St. Thomas so don't expect to find better. Overall, I enjoyed staying at the Windward Passage, and want come again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, as it reduces the noise level
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kathryn M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear ChristianSamuel:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of several of our amenities. We are very fortunate to have such a great location within walking distance of so many fine attractions. Our complimentary shuttle to Magens Bay provides our valued guests reliable transportation to and from our island's most popular beach.

The purpose of the bathroom window is to create airflow throughout the room, thus reducing the steam in the bathroom. It also makes the entire room feel bigger. The window does close however, offering complete privacy. We find that most of our guests enjoy this feature, I hope it wasn't a hindrance for you.

Most importantly, I happy you found our staff friendly and helpful.. Our people are our most valuable asset. Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to your next visit with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,703 reviews

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!