“Not That Great”

Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas
Vancouver, Canada
“Not That Great”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had an early morning flight so I had to stay here 1 night. This is an airport hotel. They put some fake sand down with many of the lounge chairs broken and there is a small pool. They make their guests take a shuttle to the sister hotel to eat. I saw many guests quite annoyed at this. And they do not tell you that they do not have food. I went to the restaurant and they told me I had to call a shuttle or walk to another property to eat. The rooms are average at best, the phone doesn't work, the tv had issues, and the balcony door had a pin lock and not very good. There are guests in the halls trying to get Wifi, and the walls are very thin so I could hear other tv, etc. And for the price it really is over priced. I didn't feel like going to the other property so I waited until 3pm when the beach bar opens and they have small snacks and the waitress told me to come back as she was doing inventory and the front desk said since it is snack food I should go to the other property. I could hear loud music from the other place and I think they want people to go and eat and drink there and spend money. Also, check in is 4pm if you are lucky and they don't care if you are tired or have travel plans. I really didn't like their business decisions as they care about their bottom line and not the guests comfort or experience so I would never stay here again and this also is a bad mark for all Best Westerns as I will stay where the guest is cared about. Also when I checked out in the early am, did not receive wake up call, and had to wait at reception. And rude staff. So I cannot recommend unless you absolutely have to stay due to early 5 or 6 am flight.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
BWCaribBeach, Manager at Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
First of all, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. No matter good or bad, reviews help us better ourselves so we know what we have to work on for future guests.

We believe our location is ideal for not only the early morning traveling, but anyone looking to spend some time in the beautiful Virgin Islands. It is true we are very close to the airport, which makes early morning flights convenient! On property, we have a manmade beach and pool for all the guests to use, but we also offer a bigger pool and large beautiful beach over at our sister hotel, Emerald Beach Resort, which has a shuttle running on the hour every hour to and from both resorts.

We offer both breakfast and dinner at our resort, but we do have a lunch option over at Emerald Beach Resort. We try our best to make the shuttle service as easy for the guest as possible to get between the resorts. We sincerely apologize for the waitresses remarks and we will get to the bottom of who and why they handled the situation in that manner so next time they can make a more appropriate approach.

It is unfortunate to hear about the difficulties you experienced with the phones, and wifi. We are always trying to find the latest wifi to make our resort user friendly as possible.

The loud music was due to the live music performances down at Emerald Beach and both Carib and Emerald beach guests are invited to join. We try to give the guests some fun and unique options while staying here with us.

I am really sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and that you didn’t receive a wake up call. We truly are striving to make improvements with not only technically difficulties, but customer service.

Our goal is for all of our guests to have a pleasant experience when staying at Carib Beach Resort and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations when you were staying with us and I would be happy to discuss your recent stay and how we can do better next time!

Social Media Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here for one night after returning from a BVI cruise and catching a flight out of St. Thomas the next day. The front desk staff was less than helpful when I checked in about noon. The restaurant there is only open for breakfast and dinner. She recommended that I catch the free shuttle to the Emerald beach sister hotel, as their restaurant was open. The shuttle only leaves once an hour so I had to wait for the 1pm. I also asked for a beach towel which I took with me, and I had to take my own luggage to the luggage hold room. I was told my room would be ready by 4pm. I had a nice time over at the Emerald's restaurant and beach. I caught the shuttle back at 4pm (with several other people), and the room was ready. I was quite pleased with the room (especially after spending 6 nights on a small yacht). It was clean, bright, the a/c worked well, bathroom was clean, rainfall showerhead, and there was a huge balcony overlooking the ocean and the Emerald beach. Note there is no elevator, so I had to walk up one flight of stairs (my room was on the second floor). There is also only one location to get ice. Agree with others who state the airport is a 5 minute walk. This was one reason I chose this hotel. Easy walk to the airport. Also, there really is no beach at this "resort." You would have to walk out into the street or go over to the Emerald. The pool is small and there weren't many chairs. I had the breakfast buffet in the morning and it was OK. The scrambled eggs weren't very hot, there was cereal, muffins, bacon and oatmeal. The free wifi didn't work in the rooms, only in the lobby. It was quite a bit cheaper than the Emerald, so I might stay here again and use the sister property amenities for free.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
BWCaribBeach, Manager at Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review and staying here with us at Carib Beach Resort. We use each review as a way to enhance the guests experience for the future.

I’m sorry to hear that the front desk wasn’t very helpful. We are always looking at ways to improve ourselves and our company, and will look into better ways of handling similar situations.

Our shuttle runs every hour until 5:30 and every half hour until 9:30 and it’s free for all Carib Beach and Emerald Beach guests to use. Emerald is a beautiful property and it’s great that you were able to enjoy both the restaurant and beach!

We recently renovated our rooms and we appreciate all of your wonderful comments about them! Also, we pride ourselves in our convenient location from the airport and we always like to make our guests’ stays as easy and comfortable as possible. In addition, we are currently working on making our free wifi more accessible.

We recently decided to no longer serve the breakfast buffet and now serve a traditional sit-down style breakfast.

Thank you so much again for your review and we hope you choose to stay with us again at Carib Beach Resort.

Traverse City
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We used this hotel as a go-between on a recent trip to the BVI. The rooms are nice. Try to request one of the new rooms (600's). They are located about 200 yards from the front desk but they are worth the walk. Brand new with a private pool area.
This "resort" is a bit worn out around the edges. The front desk have had very little professional hospitality training (if any). One of the female staff actually dropped the F-bomb when she was talking to a maintenance guy when I was standing at the desk
If you stay here, do not take a taxi from the airport if you are able bodied. it is a 5 minute walk. We paid $65 for a 1 minute taxi ride when we arrived (7 people and 10 bags).
My advice would be to NOT stay here if you want a resort experience. it's okay for an overnight.
One good thing I can mention is that the female bartender at the pool bar was very nice (can't remember her name but she was from Wisconsin.

Room Tip: Request a new villa room 9600's).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
BWCaribBeach, Manager at Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you John for taking the time to review Carib Beach Villas. The Villas are actually a separate company than Best Western, but thankfully I am an official representative for them. Since we are a new company, we take every review very seriously and always want to improve ourselves.We just created a TripAdvisor account for the villas at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147404-d6548516-Reviews-Carib_Beach_Villas-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html so if you would like to review us on there, that would be wonderful.

My sincerest apologies for the front desk staff's language. Since we currently use the front desk at Carib Beach Resort, we will address this issue to make sure it will never happen again. We truly believe in customer service and want to provide the best experience for all of our guests, and are working diligently on improving.

We are lucky enough to be close to the airport where all of our able-body guests can easily walk to and fro. Thank you for leaving all of your helpful advice to all future guests. Also, its great that you met Oceanside Bistro's friendly bartender!

Again John, thank you for reviewing Carib Beach Villas!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We typically stay at the Best Western Emerald beach during our stay (which we love). This time all the rooms were booked so we had to look elsewhere. We discovered this place (its close to the Best Western) and decided to give it a try.

They just finished their private villas which included a small living room, AC, Frig, Microwave and balcony. The villas share a private pool that overlooks the ocean.

We were pleasantly surprised at the accommodations for the price. Wow! we just loved it and wanted to share our hidden gem with all of you. Cheers!

Room Tip: All of the villas are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BWCaribBeach, Manager at Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Carib Beach Villas! We appreciate every review, not only because we are a new company, but because it is important to us to know how to better serve all of our guests.

The Villas are actually a separate company, but fortunately, I am a representative for Carib Beach Villas! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed not only your stay, but the private pool, balcony, and room! We just created a TripAdvisor account for the villas at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147404-d6548516-Reviews-Carib_Beach_Villas-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html so if you would like to review us on there, that would be wonderful.

Thank you again for your kind review and we are so glad you had a wonderful time with us!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We are not picky when it comes to hotels, so it means something when I write a review like this... when you hear the word 'resort' you probably think pristine and luxurious. This hotel is not quite that. A few good things were that the a/c worked, the sister resort had a great restaurant, and that we got 2 free rum drinks at the hotel bar. The rest was not good.
They took an old, existing hotel and remodeled it, but not very well. The room just did not feel clean. The room furniture was dated, the bed was slightly comfortable, and a chair had a stain on it. There were holes in the wall where artwork used to be. The new paint job in the room was bad in places, probably because of too much humidity or a water leak. The toilet did not work; nothing went down, and it did overflow a bit; the maintenance person never came to fix it although we were told he was on his way. There was some mildew in the shower tile. The free wifi did not work; we could not connect. The room's door stuck and you had to slam it to close it. The room's patio view was out to a parking lot. In summary, we feel let down and duped. The room is not worth the price we paid, at all. :(

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the water and not of the parking lot.
1 Thank Anjiggy
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Carib Beach Resort. We take all reviews very seriously and we hope they will help us better ourselves and the guests experience.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed Emerald Beach Resort’s restaurant “Caribbean Fusion” and were able to enjoy two free rum drinks!

We did do some recent remodeling, but we are always trying to improve our rooms for the guests experience. I’m sorry it didn’t feel clean, but we do have daily house keeping to ensure our rooms are clean.

It is unfortunate that the maintenance person never showed up to your room and we believe that mistakes like that shouldn’t happen. We sincerely apologize for this mistake and we will take extra measures so mistakes like this wont happen.

We also provide free wireless internet throughout the Resort and do provide the best internet service that is currently available on St. Thomas. Unfortunately, the internet service that is available on the Island is not at the Standards that most of our Guests are accustomed to in the States. We will continue to upgrade our Internet Service as improvements become available to us!

The resort offers two different types of views, a partial ocean view, and a full ocean view.

Thank you again for your review!

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here overnight after our sailing trip, hotel has one of the best views, very nice to wake up to in the morning. Its located a 5 min walk to the airport and a 5 min walk to the beautiful emerald beach. For the price you cant beat it.

Some of the negatives, they would not let us check-in early, shuttle bus takes forever and there is nothing to eat/drink at the hotel premises, you either have to shuttle to the Beach resort or walk downstairs to the bar. (located outside of the hotel)

Room Tip: choose ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us at Carib Beach Resort. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and its convenient location to both the air port and our sister resort, Emerald Beach Resort! Also, we pride ourselves for our fantastic views of the Caribbean Sea and are glad to hear you enjoyed the beauty as well!

If you come early, we do allow you to drop your bags off and enjoy either the amenities at our resort and our sister resort, Emerald Beach. We try our best to make the shuttle service as easy for the guest as possible to get between the resorts and enjoy a variety of restaurants, pools and the beach. We do have Oceanside Bistro, on property, just steps outside the front entrance of Carib Beach Resort that is open for both breakfast and lunch.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and we hope you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The hot water pressure was close to none, had to take cold showers. Woke up with bug bites every morning. Toilets stopped working at random times. Rooms smelled of moldy clothes. No phones, no room service, staff doesnt like to give out complimentary items such as coffee and sugar, printer didn't print, sinks clog up, lots of people who are not staying at the hotel use the parking lot making it difficult for customers to park (cars should require passes), environment does not feel safe. Never again will I stay at a best western.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AdrienneSelarep
Thank you Adrienne for taking the time to review your stay at Carib Beach Resort. We do take our reviews, both good and bad, seriously and hope to use them to improve our resort.

We must apologize for all the inconveniences you were faced with during your stay. We are diligently working on improving our resort on obstacles such as our phones, and plumbing problems. It is also important to us to offer a surplus of hot water and proper water pressure to every room and every guest that stays at Carib Beach Resort, and we are working hard on meeting those demands. Also, our parking lot is used by both guests and employees and we do our best to manage who is using it.

Thank you again for reviewing Carib Beach Resort, and we do hope you reconsider about staying at Best Westerns in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas? Share your experiences!