“Nice Beach” 3 of 5 bubbles

Emerald Beach Resort
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

The beach here is very nice. Rather small but there aren't as many beaches as you would think on an island.... Be prepared to be over run by the day trippers from the cruise ships. This beach is one of the locations they bring them in for the day and gets very crowded, especially on Wednesdays. The restaurant is mediocre...breakfast and the beach bar grille are your best bets. Dinner is limited and very over priced. I would probably not recommend the hotel for the length of stay we were there...6 nights. I chose it based on the ratings here. Would not have rated it as highly as it's average here shows. One plus, all rooms do face the beach and oceanfront.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RytNow1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

We just returned from this pleasant suprise of a vacation. The Best Western on the Emerald beach must be a best kept secret, as we were shocked to find out how many empty rooms were available and how many people wer wanting a piece of the beach. There was practicaly no one on the beach other than the few crise ships that people taxied over for. They most likely only taxied over because they had been there before and saw how calm and serene the entire location was. I would recomend this palce to everyone. I don't want too, I want to keep it our secet. But I have to share my good experience with anyone who either asks me or read this.
We enjoyed the king size bed, the house cleaning daily,the real ambiance of a tropical place with hibiscus blooming everywhere as well as all types of tropical-like plants and flowers.
My Housekeeper saw that I liked flowers as I has a few in a glass in water; she made a point of making vases of freshly picked flowers everywhere in the suite. I had them in the bathroom, the balcony, the living room. Not only did it look pretty but the smell of fresh tropical flowers was just the best!
I would rate this as WONDERFUL! I have been traveling since I was 15,and am now 52. This was for sure, one of the finer times I have been away, very carefree, no rush here and there,eat when you wanted and get up when you wanted. I love the ocean and every room is on the beach whether your on the 3rd floor or the 2nd. All look out the gorgeous aqua blue/green waters of St.Thomas.
I plan on returning next year, but for 2 weeks, not 1. We did try to entend our time, but they were booked solid and were not able to accomadate us.
If you decide , like we did and gamble on this hotel, you will not be sorry, we weren't.
Tricia S. and Vic O.

Room Tip: They are all beachside,but Blding 1+2 are the best
1 Thank stricia58
Barbados
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

While it must have been outstanding in it's time ......and the stay was pleasant ........I think it's overpriced.......and would probably spend a little more and stay somewhere else as the difference in price with the other hotels was not that great.....

• Stayed April 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

We stayed at Best Western Emerald Beach on our way back to Boston from Jost Van Dyke. After the limited facilities on JVD the hotel seemed more like the Ritz then a Best Western. (We'd been staying in a cabin with no running water or AC on JVD, so were easily impressed).
The rooms are very good . . . large, updated,and with great views of Emerald Bay, The pool and bar area were inviting. Dining quality was about average, but not disappointing.
The beach was a pleasant surprise. Being so close to downtown and the airport we weren't expecting much (at least to what we are used to on St. John and JVD). Emerald Bay is probably one of the better beaches on St Thomas.
There were a few negatives, but nothing serious.
1. Check in time is 4PM. No big deal as you can hang by pool or beach, but when we were here the women's bathroom was being repaired and unavailable, making changing into a swimsuit difficult.
2.Cruise ships drop off passengers at the hotel to use the beach. It gets crowded, and you have to compete for chairs.
3.We were there on a weekend. Very load music came from the public area at the far right of the beach until around 11P. You couldn't hear it in your room, but it did spoil the ambiance .
For a couple of days before or after your flight, (or for a business trip) this could be one of STTs best values.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BostonTropix
Iron Mountain, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed here for one night in our travels from St John.
Pros
Clean
right on the beach
walking distance to airport.
Cons
Ants
must have been biting ants or there were other bugs cause when we woke up we had little red welts, not tons of red welts but enough to notice. No they weren't bed bugs.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jande43
Long Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

American Airlines held us hostage on St. Thomas for two days by cancelling our flights unceremoniously. The good side of our expensive misfortune? Emerald Beach was a nice surprise. The view from the patio was great, the bathroom nicely updated. The beds were double-sheeted, a favorite luxury not often found. The hotel holds a Manager's Cocktail Party on Monday evenings, which was another pleasant surprise. We heard the planes when outside, but never proved a problems indoors.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LADB
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

First, there is a law in St. Thomas regarding taxi fares now. There is no negotiating a taxi fare, as prices are set. To go from the airport to the Best Western Caribe, or the B.W. Emerald Beach it will cost you $4.00 USD/person, plus $4.00 USD/suitcase over 30" X 20", and $2.00 USD per bag that is smaller than those dimensions. So don't let them touch your backpack!

If you are staying at either of these hotels DO NOT TAKE A TAXI!!! IT WILL COST YOU $18 - $20 FOR A 30 SECOND TO 2 MINUTE DRIVE, DEPENDING ON WHICH B.W. HOTEL YOU ARE STAYING AT.

There are 2 Best Western hotels, which are both close to the airport. The B.W. Caribe Resort is directly across from the airport entrance doors. You can see it when you walk out of the airport...so definitely DO NOT GET INTO A TAXI..walk the 2 minutes to your hotel. Or you will pay an exhorbitant taxi fare and be angry!

A little further down the road from the airport, an 8 minute walk down a nice sidewalk, is the Emerald Beach Resort. If you take a taxi, you will blink your eyes twice and be there...you'll be surprised, and even more surprised when the taxi driver asks for $18 USD, and tells you he's not charging you for the backpack you carried on your lap!

It costs $6/person to take a taxi from the Emerald Beach Resort to downtown Charlotte Amalie where all the shopping stores are located. Or you can walk out of the front entrance of the hotel, past all the lazy taxi drivers, to the main road. Cross the road to the sidewalk, turn right, and walk 2 blocks to the intersection. Cross the road, turn right, and walk one block to the "Safari stand". You'll recognize it by the indentation in the main road to allow a vehicle to pull off and pick up people without disrupting traffic. The Safari is an open air transportation vehicle, that the locals and smart tourists takes to get too and from the downtown Charlotte Amalie, or other places around the island. It costs only $1 USD/person, no matter where you are going. Unfortunately, it doesn't run after dark, so you are forced to take a taxi if you want to go somewhere away from the hotel for dinner.

Now from Emerald Beach itself... Remember, you are on "Island Time". Nothing happens quickly. Beach towels are rare…when you are lucky to get one, hang onto it! They are picked up at the front desk. If they don't have any, request the gal at front desk to set a couple aside for you when some come in. I swear they trickle in from laundry. It took us until late afternoon on our 2nd day to get beach towels. We stayed 3 days. :-(

This is a 3 star hotel. There are 4 star hotels, but on St. Thomas, I wouldn't stay anywhere else (I have in past) except the B.W. Emerald Beach Resort. Why? The rooms are worn, but the rooms & linens are always clean, and well kept up. You'll find the odd insect, or almost microscopic bugs in the bathroom on the counter, and sometimes wall...not millions, but if you kill 5, later, you'll probably see 5 more. They're nothing. They don't bite...they're the size of dust, and they are only in the bathroom. Also they will be in every hotel throughout St. Thomas, no matter how high a star rating the hotel has. It's the Caribbean...the tropics...one should expect it. We stayed in two rooms this trip...3 nights each at the beginning and end. We sailed for a week between our stays. We did not encounter any major bugs that would bother me in either room.

A/C worked well.

Rooms are comfortable, clean, lots of soft pillows, duvet cover, beautiful view from our balcony of the sun setting, and the bay and beach. Nice large flat screen TV.

Beach Bar - The bartenders are efficient, and if they have time to talk they are friendly. A fun place to have a few drinks and meet other visitors.

Food: Breakfast was fine. The Buffet Dinner did not entice us. We ate from the Beach Bar menu and ordered the Linguini Primavera. It was considerably cheaper to order this from the Beach Bar menu, than the same item from the Restaurant menu. Once we deviated and had a hamburger. It was good. It was huge! I'm not really a hamburger person. If you don't mind paying the taxi fares, it is better to eat off the resort. There are lots of amazing restuarants: Hook Line & Sinker, Amalia Cafe, Greenhouse, Oceana. We heard Mimi's Seaside Bistro was excellent, but it was really far away, so probably $76 USD for taxi fare both ways. We didn't do it.

BEACH: This is the BEST BEACH on the entire island. It is sheltered, therefore, calm waters. It is a nice long beach to walk, with white sand. It is not over crowded, even though on weekends, some of the locals come to enjoy it further down, away from the resort.
There is one other very small resort next door...no big deal. Beautiful white sandy beach. When you wade in to your waist, the fish like to take refuge around your legs. Sometimes they nibble (don't bite) on your toes...it tickles. They are hiding around your legs from the pelicans and other birds that would like to eat them. lol They are harmless.

AIRPORT is very close. Last flight at night is around 8:30 pm, first flight in morning is around 9 a.m. You never hear the flights in your room if the balcony doors are closed. You will occasionally hear a plane when you are on the beach. If you are talking, sometimes you would have to stop and continue after the plane past. It doesn't happen often. It won't disturb your sleep, and that is the important factor.

INTERNET: One laptop in the front lobby, which is free for everyone to use for as long as you want. Only once in 6 days did I have to wait 10 minutes to use it. Otherwise, it was always vacant. They have wifi, so if you have your own laptop, you can sit in the lobby and use it.

STAFF: All are really friendly and helpful...except ONE! I've never had such a bad experience. Tamara, a caucasion (I'm caucasion), with a South African accent??? If you are male...you won't have a problem. But as a female...she is extremely rude! My boyfriend asked me to check if we had been credited our points for our previous stay a week earlier. Stay 3 nights, earn a free nights stay in the future. So I asked Tamara if she would check. Her very words to me, "I'll check into it." she didn't say when. She looked at the computer a moment, then went to say something to a man next to me, and said something to the man next to him...a minute later, she turns to me and in a very demeaning, rude, belligerent tone of voice said to me, "Lady, go away so I can get my work done. I'll look into it later and let you know." I was shocked. I should have reacted right then, but I walked away, and 10 seconds later felt extremely furious. I had done nothing to warrant her behaviour toward myself. My boyfriend said he had not heard her say this to me, but while I was standing at the front desk, he heard her flirting with the man on the end. I wasn't paying attention to what she was saying. As I'm writing this...my ire is growing again! Tamara never did get back to me regarding the information I requested. The next day I went back and spoke to Tiffany, who was very friendly, and in 30 seconds or less pulled up the information on the computer and printed it off for me.

Overall...I would recommend this hotel to everyone...even if you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel. The beach here is truly the best! And that's what people come for.

BUGS: Friends of ours stayed at a nice B&B a few blocks from downtown. When the sun was setting, the mosquitos and no-seeums come out in droves...I was bitten horribly. I didn't have my spray with me. It was back at the room.
I am allergic to sulpha drugs. I learned that noseeums deposit sulpheric acid ???...so if you are allergic to sulpha drugs, you will react to these bug bites...like me. BUT there is help... Banophen!!! WOW!!! This MIRACLE CREAM stopped the itching instantly, and lasted for hours and hours. My boyfriend had alot of bites too, and he said the same thing...when he applied a small amount to his bites, the itch went away instantly. No scratching...no scars! You can buy BANOPHEN at the little beach store at Emerald Beach Resort. I bought 2 extra tubes to bring home for future tropical trips.

DIAMONDS ... This is the place to buy! Although I knew this, I wasn't sure where. My boyfriend met an elderly couple from Philadelphia, who highly endorsed Ajanta Jewelers. They had been buying from Ajanta Jewelers for 22 yrs. On the main street across from the water, look for the sign that says DRAKE. Go down this sidewalk, and about half way down you will see Ajanta on the right hand side. Mark & Jackie are great guys! I bought diamond earrings from them. Recently (Mar. 30) I lost the back to one of my gold/diamond earrings. I contacted them, and they are mailing to backings, no charge. In addition, I had a gold ring that needed to be enlarged, they had it done in front of myself within 15 minutes at no charge. This would have cost me $400 in Canada.
I expect after having my new earrings appraised at home they will be worth alot more than what I paid. I will use AJANTA JEWELLERS in the future when I return.

Room Tip: Use Safari transportation to town $1/person
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#3 of 22 in St. Thomas

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!