“absolutely fine”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We just returned from 5 nights at Emerald Beach, my two adult children and I. The beach is wonderful, the rooms were immaculately clean, the view from the room was stunning, the staff was great, the entire experience was terrific. There is a mini-fridge and coffee maker in the room. My kids had breakfast several mornings at the restaurant and thought the food was good, drinks at the beach bar were just fine, the price was ok and the view was amazing. We could always get towels.The beach was usually not crowded, even though one day there was a wedding there and another day a bus full of cruise-shippers arrived. I have no idea what they did with them but truly, an additional 35 people does not crowd the beach. The staff was very helpful making suggestions. We booked a snorkeling tour through the lady at the boutique at the hotel and that went off without a hitch and was a highlight. It is close to Frenchtown where there is just a lot of great eating. The beach chairs are free for hotel guests, visitors are charged. There was never an issue in getting 3 chairs. There were kayaks, paddle boats and snorkle gear available for rent; we didn't do that and so I have no idea what their rates are but it is all there. No, it absolutely isn't the Westin nor is it priced as the Westin is. But I did feel that it was a really great value for the money and if I were to return to STT it would certainly be on the short list of places to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank saipanlady

Reviewed 21 April 2011

The room had a wonderful view and was literally right on the beach which was great. Our room was on the second floor right next to the outdoor seating for the restuarant. Even with a wedding party dining there on a Monday night it was not too noisy when the patio door was closed. We were able to get wifi in our room since my husband brought his lap top. The flat screen TV had cable but not many channels to choose from and no local stations at all.

The bed was comfortable and housekeeping did a great job of tidying the room while we were out. The tile floor felt slightly slimy except for immediately after it was mopped and I always had to wipe my feet off before I put on my shoes or sandles but that was no big deal. We saw the little tiny ant like bugs but they were only in the bathroom and around the refrigerator area. A few mosiqitoes in the room but we had the patio door open alot to enjoy the tropical air. When we slept we used the AC which worked perfectly.

The plane noise was not an issue, we noticed the noise when we were on the beach but not so much in the room. It is great that they stop flying after 8pm and not before 9 am. We had drinks and sandwiches in the cabana on our first day there and the service was good. My husband went back there for a sandwhich another day and couldn't get waited on. The bartender was a different person and she said the computer was down and was looking rather frazzled.

We had good snorkeling and no problem getting a couple of chairs but the beach towels were another story entirely. We stayed there 6 nights and 6 days. It took us 4 days in a row of constantly going down to the front desk in the morning before we finally got a couple of beach towels. We were always told they would be ready in about an hour to 1 1/2 hours and were given extra bath towels. On the morning of day four the front desk staff offered to have someone put them in our room when they were ready which was great. That would have been a nice offer on day one.

The fitness room is tiny, it has a flat screen TV and about four pieces of equipment. Not bad if you are in there alone but feels cramped when anyone joins you.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone but I would not want to walk with my luggage from the airport. It is close and there is a nice sidewalk so if you don't have a car that would be an option if you were trying to save money.

Reviewed 16 April 2011

The beach here is very nice. Rather small but there aren't as many beaches as you would think on an island.... Be prepared to be over run by the day trippers from the cruise ships. This beach is one of the locations they bring them in for the day and gets very crowded, especially on Wednesdays. The restaurant is mediocre...breakfast and the beach bar grille are your best bets. Dinner is limited and very over priced. I would probably not recommend the hotel for the length of stay we were there...6 nights. I chose it based on the ratings here. Would not have rated it as highly as it's average here shows. One plus, all rooms do face the beach and oceanfront.

1  Thank RytNow1
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We just returned from this pleasant suprise of a vacation. The Best Western on the Emerald beach must be a best kept secret, as we were shocked to find out how many empty rooms were available and how many people wer wanting a piece of the beach. There was practicaly no one on the beach other than the few crise ships that people taxied over for. They most likely only taxied over because they had been there before and saw how calm and serene the entire location was. I would recomend this palce to everyone. I don't want too, I want to keep it our secet. But I have to share my good experience with anyone who either asks me or read this.
We enjoyed the king size bed, the house cleaning daily,the real ambiance of a tropical place with hibiscus blooming everywhere as well as all types of tropical-like plants and flowers.
My Housekeeper saw that I liked flowers as I has a few in a glass in water; she made a point of making vases of freshly picked flowers everywhere in the suite. I had them in the bathroom, the balcony, the living room. Not only did it look pretty but the smell of fresh tropical flowers was just the best!
I would rate this as WONDERFUL! I have been traveling since I was 15,and am now 52. This was for sure, one of the finer times I have been away, very carefree, no rush here and there,eat when you wanted and get up when you wanted. I love the ocean and every room is on the beach whether your on the 3rd floor or the 2nd. All look out the gorgeous aqua blue/green waters of St.Thomas.
I plan on returning next year, but for 2 weeks, not 1. We did try to entend our time, but they were booked solid and were not able to accomadate us.
If you decide , like we did and gamble on this hotel, you will not be sorry, we weren't.
Tricia S. and Vic O.

Room Tip: They are all beachside,but Blding 1+2 are the best
1  Thank stricia58
Reviewed 14 April 2011

While it must have been outstanding in it's time ......and the stay was pleasant ........I think it's overpriced.......and would probably spend a little more and stay somewhere else as the difference in price with the other hotels was not that great.....

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 8 April 2011

We stayed at Best Western Emerald Beach on our way back to Boston from Jost Van Dyke. After the limited facilities on JVD the hotel seemed more like the Ritz then a Best Western. (We'd been staying in a cabin with no running water or AC on JVD, so were easily impressed).
The rooms are very good . . . large, updated,and with great views of Emerald Bay, The pool and bar area were inviting. Dining quality was about average, but not disappointing.
The beach was a pleasant surprise. Being so close to downtown and the airport we weren't expecting much (at least to what we are used to on St. John and JVD). Emerald Bay is probably one of the better beaches on St Thomas.
There were a few negatives, but nothing serious.
1. Check in time is 4PM. No big deal as you can hang by pool or beach, but when we were here the women's bathroom was being repaired and unavailable, making changing into a swimsuit difficult.
2.Cruise ships drop off passengers at the hotel to use the beach. It gets crowded, and you have to compete for chairs.
3.We were there on a weekend. Very load music came from the public area at the far right of the beach until around 11P. You couldn't hear it in your room, but it did spoil the ambiance .
For a couple of days before or after your flight, (or for a business trip) this could be one of STTs best values.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BostonTropix
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed here for one night in our travels from St John.
Pros
Clean
right on the beach
walking distance to airport.
Cons
Ants
must have been biting ants or there were other bugs cause when we woke up we had little red welts, not tons of red welts but enough to notice. No they weren't bed bugs.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jande43
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!