“Worst Business Meeting Ever”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I held a three day meeting in January for 15 clients. I have been moderating meetings for 25 years, so I have a lot of experience at running meetings and dealing with hotels. So I speak from experience.

Every aspect of the meeting service was truly awful. I got to the meeting room, which was not set up, there was no breakfast or coffee; as a matter of fact the room hadn't been cleaned from a prior event about a week before. There was a lot of old food and drinks, which the fruit flies really appreciated. I went to the front desk to have them send someone to help me fix the room. They said they would be their shortly. Five months later they still have not arrived. So I had to clean the room and set up the room myself.

The clients started to arrive as I was finishing up the set up, but still no coffee. I took my meeting folder with the contract to the restaurant. I was told they had changed the arrangements (but failed to mention it to me; after they had billed me in advance). The breakfast would not be brought to the meeting room, rather they had to go to the restaurant. Breakfast should have taken 10 to 15 minutes; instead it took 60 minutes. The restaurant had a nice coffee machine with many options (regular, espresso, etc.). However it didn't work and only spit out hot milk - Nice!

We got back to the meeting room, but still no coffee. The meeting went on. I was using a projector, but this minimal power requirement continually knocked out the circuit breakers. The internet was so painfully slow, that it rendered in useless. The coffee came in at 11:00 a.m., but the server dropped it on the floor. The meetings were only half days, so we adjourned at 12:30 p.m.

I must also mention that the hotel is in ratty shape with lots of shady looking characters walking around. They deemed that this was the week that they would work on the roof directly across from the meeting room. So we had to work through the constant din of power tools and cursing workers. Many times dirty, stinky strangers randomly walked into the meeting room.

Day Two - I was expecting the meeting room to look pretty much like we left it. WRONG! Someone else held a meeting the prior night. They rearranged the room and again left food and drinks. It looked like some people had slept in the room. These people are animals. Again I had to rearrange the room and clean it. Again we had to battle the construction, no internet, lack of power, fruit flies and virtually no service.

Day Three - Remarkably after complaining two days in a row, the same thing happened. No one cared.

Typically when I run my meetings, I am greeted by the Meeting Coordinator and we walk through the arrangements on each day. At no point was I ever able to find someone to talk to about the meeting arrangements.

Somehow we survived this assault on our good senses and we were able to get out alive.

When I got back I wrote a letter to the hotel and to the National Corporate Offices of Best Western. The National Offices said they were sorry, but couldn't do anything about it. When the hotel was confronted with this littany of gross errors, they accused me of lying.

Not only will I never use this hotel, but I will never use Best Western or go to St. Thomas.

There are just too many places that know what they are doing.

Room Tip: The rooms are dirty with lots of things broken.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Bluedevil1982

Reviewed 25 June 2011

This is a reasonably good hotel on a nice beach. However they insist on making everyone wait to check in until a whole block of rooms has been cleaned. Most hotels here will give you a room at checkin if one has been cleaned, but this one makes everyone wait until almost 4:00 no matter what time they arrive. While all hotels have a check-in time, most have enough sense to check people in as individual rooms come available. Consequently, my husband and I are looking for a different hotel near the airport in St. Thomas.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2Honolulu
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Aside from the mosquito and ant problem the room was perfect. The hotel is located right on the beach which made it easy to just relax and enjoy the day without having to leave. The front desk staff was always helpful and pleasant. The restaurant food was decent yet pricey. My only gripe with the hotel was that the restaurant wait staff tended to ignore us for at least the first 15 minutes of our arrival. My preference would have been to eat elsewhere however due to the location a taxi will cost you $11 each way per person so it was more cost effective although irritating eat at the hotel restaurant. My only recommendation would be to pack snacks so that you can minimize the need to eat at the restaurant and puchase citronella candles prior to arriving on the island, it was impossible to find any once we arrived thus requiring us to bathe in bug spay each evening before bed.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray, and snacks!
2  Thank Cee2323
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed here two nights. I was impressed. The hotel has four buildings, each with three floors and 6 rooms on each floor. It is a small place. Every room has a door on the front with a balcony or patio fronting the beach. The beach is VERY nice for swimming, calm waters in a bay and was very clean. At night we sat out on the beach and relaxed. The hotel does not charge fees for using the beach furniture or umbrellas. We swam in the ppol which was very nice, but small.
Overall it feels like a 1970's motor lodge on the beach; and I say that in a "quaint" way. Tile floors in the room, a VERY comfortable bed. Room was clean and attractive, a small 32" flat screen TV.
Restaurant was VERY expensive ($30 per entree) but was very good. The bar was awesome, an outside drinking hole like you would hope to find at a place like this.
Overall, it was not "resort" like, but was an outstanding hotel.
This is an airport hotel, at the airport. Expect planes overhead.
I would stay here again for a short stay.
Internet was reliable and free but wired. Wired means, only one laptop at a time, so my wife and I had to share internet time...
Very limited food choices without a car. The other best western carribean resort is next door. I did not go over but a staff member told us they have a mexican restaurant that is good.

Room Tip: Just book at this hotel. ALL ROOMS have beachfront
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hypnoticrichard
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed June 6-June 14 and LOVED it. The beach is the nicest that we saw on St. Thomas for swimming, with a lovely sand bottom. Snorkeling not great here, but we found many beautiful shells. Our room was clean upon arrival and daily maid service kept it clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Bar was excellent and staff knowledgeable of the area. The hotel felt like an tropical oasis and definatly our home after driving around St. Thomas. The hotel felt safe and secure. There is a safe in the closet where we kept many items, but our lap tops were not touched by staff. There was no internet in our rooms that we could pick up, but the bar had tolerable internet service. Bar food was great and eat there almost everyday. There is a dorm size fridge in the room, which helped for breakfast and lunch items to be stored. Plenty of towels for beach and pool. Plenty of shade on the beach and pool with lounge chairs just for hotel guests. I did see some locals and cruise ship goers get ejected from the beach chairs. Very close to the airport and did hear noise, but did not mind the airplanes at all. Could not ever hear in the room any noise. Our AC worked very well, it was HOT there and our room was always kept cool.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room in building 3!
3  Thank 4smiths4pets
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This is our 6th trip to St. Thomas and we have stayed here every year at least for a day or two. This year, we stayed an entire week. I am convinced this hotel is the best kept secret on the island. The beach is just perfect - in spite of the storm that came through while we were there. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful and every year we have noticed improvements on the building and the facility. If you are looking for someplace to go snorkeling, find a different beach. But for sand and swim and fun and great food - this is the place!

1  Thank cindy38134
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I didn't stay here. I was on more of a budget and stayed at the sister resort, Best Western Caribe Beach just a few minutes away. We spent the majority of our time here, however, for swimming, eating and drinking. Lovely pool, beach and beach bar!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!