I held a three day meeting in January for 15 clients. I have been moderating meetings for 25 years, so I have a lot of experience at running meetings and dealing with hotels. So I speak from experience.
Every aspect of the meeting service was truly awful. I got to the meeting room, which was not set up, there was no breakfast or coffee; as a matter of fact the room hadn't been cleaned from a prior event about a week before. There was a lot of old food and drinks, which the fruit flies really appreciated. I went to the front desk to have them send someone to help me fix the room. They said they would be their shortly. Five months later they still have not arrived. So I had to clean the room and set up the room myself.
The clients started to arrive as I was finishing up the set up, but still no coffee. I took my meeting folder with the contract to the restaurant. I was told they had changed the arrangements (but failed to mention it to me; after they had billed me in advance). The breakfast would not be brought to the meeting room, rather they had to go to the restaurant. Breakfast should have taken 10 to 15 minutes; instead it took 60 minutes. The restaurant had a nice coffee machine with many options (regular, espresso, etc.). However it didn't work and only spit out hot milk - Nice!
We got back to the meeting room, but still no coffee. The meeting went on. I was using a projector, but this minimal power requirement continually knocked out the circuit breakers. The internet was so painfully slow, that it rendered in useless. The coffee came in at 11:00 a.m., but the server dropped it on the floor. The meetings were only half days, so we adjourned at 12:30 p.m.
I must also mention that the hotel is in ratty shape with lots of shady looking characters walking around. They deemed that this was the week that they would work on the roof directly across from the meeting room. So we had to work through the constant din of power tools and cursing workers. Many times dirty, stinky strangers randomly walked into the meeting room.
Day Two - I was expecting the meeting room to look pretty much like we left it. WRONG! Someone else held a meeting the prior night. They rearranged the room and again left food and drinks. It looked like some people had slept in the room. These people are animals. Again I had to rearrange the room and clean it. Again we had to battle the construction, no internet, lack of power, fruit flies and virtually no service.
Day Three - Remarkably after complaining two days in a row, the same thing happened. No one cared.
Typically when I run my meetings, I am greeted by the Meeting Coordinator and we walk through the arrangements on each day. At no point was I ever able to find someone to talk to about the meeting arrangements.
Somehow we survived this assault on our good senses and we were able to get out alive.
When I got back I wrote a letter to the hotel and to the National Corporate Offices of Best Western. The National Offices said they were sorry, but couldn't do anything about it. When the hotel was confronted with this littany of gross errors, they accused me of lying.
Not only will I never use this hotel, but I will never use Best Western or go to St. Thomas.
There are just too many places that know what they are doing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 100% beachfront resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands! Tucked into sun-splashed Lindbergh Bay on the Island of St. Thomas, the beautifully appointed Emerald Beach Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of the Virgin Islands' rich heritage. BIG King Size Beds and Spectacular Views from EVERY ROOM! FREE High Speed Internet Access. Flat Screen TVs with Cable TV, 100% Beachfront Views with Balcony and Adjustable air-conditioning. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, cascading waterfalls and lush tropical settings, the Emerald Beach Resort offers a central, convenient location close to the airport, shopping, championship golf and all of St. Thomas's great activities and adventures. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable wedding, meeting or corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Emerald Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Best Western St Thomas
- Best Western Emerald Beach Resort
- St. Thomas Best Western
- Emerald Beach Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie