“Nice Hotel”

Emerald Beach Resort
Bradenton, FL
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

start off saying we walked to BW Caribe fr airport and took their shuttle to Emerald Beach. Best front desk people-super friendly and helpful. Stored our luggage til room was ready. We were only staying one night before going over to St. John. Food and drinks were good at the bar on the water. Very good pina coladas and desserts! The beach is one of the best ones I've seen and I've traveled the world and live in FL. The room was standard hotel and decent size. Most important , it was clean and not beat up. also bought a beach hat there and same thing was 3 X's the price on St. John. very happy with hotel

1 Thank JJJTC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This Hotel was booked by my cousin who had business there and I tagged along. I have to say that it is a very quiet hotel, some people get scared off because it is across from the airport, but we are in St. Thomas not some major hub. There may be about 7 planes leaving a day, so it does not disrupt your sleep or relaxation. The food here is ok. If you stay and they offer the Lobster 3 course meal, jump on it! It was great. The buffet on Friday night was pretty good too. DO NOT expect quick service! The one night my waiter took my order and then about 20 min later came back and said they were out of what i ordered, mind you, there were only about 15 people in there at the time, and he was in never never land. The views from your room are great, every room is a ocean front. When checking in, double check with the desk that you are getting what you booked. I had a king size and after reading reviews on here about them changing that I asked as I was being checked in "you have me for a king size bed right?" and they said no, we have you for 2 double beds, I showed them my reservations and said that I wanted my king room. and they gave it to me. I think they try the ole switcharoo on you when you check in hoping that you just take it and go. Food is VERY expensive there, even in the supermarkets a box of cereal will run you about 12.00! I would bring some with you if you are a breakfast eater because unless you eat there or take a cab into town there is nothing nearby. I suggest reading the page for St. Thomas they list the cab fares because there are some drivers that will try to rip you off. One tried to get 9.00 for a 3.00 ride! After I told him that I was not stupid, he charged the right price. There is a small shop on site that rents snorkel gear, good to take with you if you leave the hotel, but a waste if you are staying there because there really are no fish around there. Kayak rentals are there, when the guy shows up, and that was a lot of fun! I went to Coki Beach which is GREAT to snorkel, a 9.00 per person cab ride away, and you feed the fish dog biscuits and they swarm you! A cab ride into town is about 6.00 per person and is abundant with Jewelers, my advice is to shop around you will get some great deals. I offer one more suggestion, when you walk out of the hotel there is a cab stand, if you like the driver, get his number, tip him good and he will be at your call whenever needed. We had a terrific driver, who was readily available, and gave you the history of the island and some discount cards for various things. Now about the rooms. Very clean, bathrooms were clean, you can get adjoining rooms, you have a nice balcony that overlooks the sea, linens are clean, and the room is spacious. I have no complaints at all. they even have a surge protector that you can charge your phones, laptops etc.. and there is free wifi. If you want Mexican food you can take their free shuttle to their sister hotel about 2 blocks away and enjoy some Mexican food, while sitting waterfront. If you have any disability that limits your walking, I would suggest booking a room on a lower floor. There are 3 floors, and no elevator, and the steps can be a killer, same goes with their sister hotel, to eat there you have to walk down about 4 dozen step, that are VERY steep. The bar at the hotel is busy, and according to which bartender is there is what depends on your service, one just ignored you, and the other was very friendly. Same goes for the waiters, the one who gave me horrible service, I later found out was a plumber by trade, I told him he should stick to plumbing because he is a terrible waiter, no flatware, napkins etc.. The staff at the desk is very helpful, and if you want a late checkout, you call early the day your leaving, it's a first come, first serve basis. I called at 7am and they extended it to 1pm, being my flight was not until almost 5pm, I wanted to check out at 3pm, so for an extra 25.00 I was able to check out 2 hours after their extension, which i thought was great. But if they don't have anything available, you can store your luggage and go do what you want. They keep laptops in the office so that they don't "walk away". If you are looking for non stop action, this is not the place to stay, but if you want an affordable vacation, without all the bells and whistles(which you really don't notice are not there because it's peaceful) this is the place to stay! Forgot to touch on the swimming pool, it is very nice and clean, and has a waterfall and a resident iguana that hangs around! Beach chairs are abundant on the sand too!

Room Tip: Make sure you double check BEFORE going to your room that it's what you booked they try to switc...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sgtevil
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We booked a 5 night stay at this hotel and were very satisfied. Rooms are nothing exceptional even though all of them have an amazing view.

The beach is awesome and the staff always friendly and helpful. The hotel is far from everything so you would probably need a car to go around (but you would need a car anywhere you stay!) since taxis are quite expensive. Staying at the hotel beach is perfectly fine as well.

I d recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tom3333
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Reservations Department at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Good Day Tom 3333:

Our entire team at the Emerald Beach Resort would like to thank you for sharing the experience you enjoyed at our Friendly Resort. It certainly encourages others to visit us, and it certainly helps the moral of our Employees. We hope to Serve you in the very near future.

Kind Regards from all of us here at the Best Western Plus Emerald Beach Resort
located on fabulous Lindbergh Bay.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Everything was excellent. The beds were what you paid for (not incredibly comfortable compared to Westin, but still good). Super pool, bar, Sunday brunch (complete with local island flavors that attract the locals coming back from church). Visit the local artist in the gift shop and the stray cat she feeds. Every once in awhile during the day you hear/see a plane flying overhead, otherwise you feel like you are in a grand resort miles away from everything else. A super deal!

Room Tip: Use Kayak.com & your AAA membership
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank markrobcollins25
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Guest Services at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Good Day markrobcollins25:

Our entire Team would like to thank you for your kind words.
We are looking to Serve you in the near future.
From all of us have a Happy Summer ! See you soon.
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We booked this hotel because it was on the beach and reasonably priced. We were not disappointed in the least. The beach is wonderful, smooth sand and calm clear water. Great pool overlooking the beach too. All rooms feature beach front balconies. It is next to the airport, so there is some noise, but it didnt really bother us much.

The bar and restaraunt were pricey, but no more so than most places on the island. The hotel next door, Island Beachcomber, has a bar and restaraunt that have much better prices and food.

Overall, great value for the price. We would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank jessabel
Good Day jessabel:

Thank you so much for visiting our Friendly Resort,
We are all very proud to Serve You.
Our Team would like to see you very soon.
From our sunny and breezy paradise.
Have a wonderful Summer!
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I held a three day meeting in January for 15 clients. I have been moderating meetings for 25 years, so I have a lot of experience at running meetings and dealing with hotels. So I speak from experience.

Every aspect of the meeting service was truly awful. I got to the meeting room, which was not set up, there was no breakfast or coffee; as a matter of fact the room hadn't been cleaned from a prior event about a week before. There was a lot of old food and drinks, which the fruit flies really appreciated. I went to the front desk to have them send someone to help me fix the room. They said they would be their shortly. Five months later they still have not arrived. So I had to clean the room and set up the room myself.

The clients started to arrive as I was finishing up the set up, but still no coffee. I took my meeting folder with the contract to the restaurant. I was told they had changed the arrangements (but failed to mention it to me; after they had billed me in advance). The breakfast would not be brought to the meeting room, rather they had to go to the restaurant. Breakfast should have taken 10 to 15 minutes; instead it took 60 minutes. The restaurant had a nice coffee machine with many options (regular, espresso, etc.). However it didn't work and only spit out hot milk - Nice!

We got back to the meeting room, but still no coffee. The meeting went on. I was using a projector, but this minimal power requirement continually knocked out the circuit breakers. The internet was so painfully slow, that it rendered in useless. The coffee came in at 11:00 a.m., but the server dropped it on the floor. The meetings were only half days, so we adjourned at 12:30 p.m.

I must also mention that the hotel is in ratty shape with lots of shady looking characters walking around. They deemed that this was the week that they would work on the roof directly across from the meeting room. So we had to work through the constant din of power tools and cursing workers. Many times dirty, stinky strangers randomly walked into the meeting room.

Day Two - I was expecting the meeting room to look pretty much like we left it. WRONG! Someone else held a meeting the prior night. They rearranged the room and again left food and drinks. It looked like some people had slept in the room. These people are animals. Again I had to rearrange the room and clean it. Again we had to battle the construction, no internet, lack of power, fruit flies and virtually no service.

Day Three - Remarkably after complaining two days in a row, the same thing happened. No one cared.

Typically when I run my meetings, I am greeted by the Meeting Coordinator and we walk through the arrangements on each day. At no point was I ever able to find someone to talk to about the meeting arrangements.

Somehow we survived this assault on our good senses and we were able to get out alive.

When I got back I wrote a letter to the hotel and to the National Corporate Offices of Best Western. The National Offices said they were sorry, but couldn't do anything about it. When the hotel was confronted with this littany of gross errors, they accused me of lying.

Not only will I never use this hotel, but I will never use Best Western or go to St. Thomas.

There are just too many places that know what they are doing.

Room Tip: The rooms are dirty with lots of things broken.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Bluedevil1982

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This is a reasonably good hotel on a nice beach. However they insist on making everyone wait to check in until a whole block of rooms has been cleaned. Most hotels here will give you a room at checkin if one has been cleaned, but this one makes everyone wait until almost 4:00 no matter what time they arrive. While all hotels have a check-in time, most have enough sense to check people in as individual rooms come available. Consequently, my husband and I are looking for a different hotel near the airport in St. Thomas.

1 Thank 2Honolulu
#3 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!