“Paradise...with a few glitches”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights - 7/23-7/31/2011. The room is IMMACULATELY cleaned. I am a CLEAN FREAK and wiped down all surfaces with lysol towelettes, but found not one spec of dust - even behind dresser! We were on the second floor with great views (I would suggest the building closest to the Island Beachcomber for best views). The view is strking as soon as you enter the room. We had read the reviews about ants, so we made sure to keep all foods (TIP 1 BRING SNACKS!! FOOD IS EXPENSIVE!) in tupperware or sealed ziploc bags IN the suitcase. We saw only ONE teeny ant in the bathroom. HOWEVER, we DID see two roaches in the bathroom (I had planned for ants with ant traps and home remedies, but not for roaches). Cleaning staff carts carry RAID but I think the hotel needs professional assistance here. TIP 2: I LOVE to sleep with the sound of the ocean waves, but it is NOT advisable to do this. Mosquitoes and 'no see ums' are part of tropical living so please keep your room door and patio door closed. This will prevent you from getting bites in the room . On the beach, we used insect repellent to prevent bites from mosquitoes and sand fleas. TIP 4: You may want to bring a couple of beach towels. The hotel offers complementary towels, but they are not readily available. You have to ask for them at the desk and they will "put you on a list" , but that does not necessarily mean you will get a beach towel. This was a pretty common complaint of patrons during our stay. TIP 5: If you like working out, you will need to make a very concerted effort to get a key to the workout room. The key is supposed to be at the desk, but when my husband went to work out it was not there and the person who had the key (a staff member) was due in to work at 7 (by 7:30 there was still no key). The workout room is outdated and small. Instead, walking the beach or jogging on the sidewalk outside the hotel or swimming seems like a better option. TIP 6: The restaurant has a good buffet breakfast that is reasonably priced ($14.95) but you can also order a la carte items. The Island Beachcomber next door also offers food. We ate dinner there but had to wait two hours and the food was horrible. Instead, if you use the Island Beachcomber, stick with a burger or other lunch item. Portabellos' dinners are expensive - We went to Fajitas at the Carib Resort (you can take a free shuttle or you can walk) which is less expensive. Food is OK but not great. You can also order burgers/fries/wings/ from the bar at the Beachcomber. The price is OK and the food is fine. TIP 7: Taxi fares have gone up. The prices posted online are 1-2 dollars BELOW the actual rates. There are always taxis parked at the hotel, but the staff is happy to call you a cab. We did not master the 'dollar rides' -- so I can't give any advice except if you are more adventurous I would attempt it as taxi fares add up! YES< they do charge you $5/pp plus $2 per bag (including carryons) to drive you the half mile from the airport to the hotel. IF you don't have tons of luggage and are not traveling with children it is an EASY downhill walk to the hotel. (My husband was a non believer). Exit baggage claim and turn LEFT past the waiting taxis outside of baggage claim. At the end of the drive, you will see a guard shack. The sidewalk ti on the other side of the shack. Turn right and you should be heading downhill toward the Emerald Beach resort. The airport runway will be on your left. You will pass the Carib resort first, then the island Beachcomber, then Emerald Beach. It is no more than a half mile all downhill. (I would suggest a taxi TO the airport unless you have very little luggage. ) For two people, we were better off financially taking cabs than renting a car, but it is expensive: Trip to downtown or Frenchtown: $6/pp. Trip to University: $5/pp.

TIP 8: If you are traveling with young children, you may want to bring a DVD player with movies or shows for them to watch. The flat screen tvs are great, but the hotel has very limited cable settings (we had to get our news from HLN or the Weather Channel!) We had no local stations, no PBS stations, and no 'kid' stations to choose from .

The beach at the resort is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! I walked and swam every day - beach was clean - water was perfect - plenty of chairs and umbrellas (keep in mind July is off season in St. Thomas) -- both free to use and no one hassles you on the beach. VERY VERY kid friendly as the sand is soft and the water is shallow for quite a ways out. Even when the hotel was full (our first two nights) , the beach was not at all crowded. Most days, the water seemed to be 'all mine' -- you have your own slice of paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!

STAFF IS FRIENDLY!!! The front staff is VERY helpful - lots of useful tips about where to eat in town - about getting around -- etc. Restaurant staff was also very kind and friendly.

In spite of the glitches we LOVED LOVED our stay -- Yes, I would go back and I would stay in this resort again..
RESTAURANT tips: Glady's cafe downtown is EXCELLENT - had breakfast there four days - felt like family! The Greenhouse downtown has good food (slightly pricey) and is on the waterfront. Hook Line & Sinkers is located on the harbor in Frenchtown - there food was also very good. We also enjoyed the Big Kahuna (next to the Greenhouse) which has outdoor dining and a kids menu.

Room Tip: Book on a corner room - preferably the second floor (we stayed in room 1206) - beautiful views and o...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank lpic1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I give this hotel 4 stars overall. All rooms are steps away from the lovely beach. The beach and pool are actually better than the St. Thomas Ritz. You really should request a top lvl room because I could hear the moving of furniture above, and toilets flushing. They really need a proper foot shower when coming in from the beach. Staff very nice. Very reasonable price. Walked from the airport which was about 20 min. I wouldn't recommend doing it at night, but was a straight stretch fine in the daytime. Room was not ready at 5(check in starts at 4). When I did get room at 5:30 I got an extra rum punch coupon. The only place to eat dinner is a very good Italian restaurant. They offered a changing 3-course prix-fixed $35 special. Noticed a lot of families having Dominos pizza delivered to the lobby. They should offer the pizza themselves!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank melissastx
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Zeroed in on this Best Western because of location. We stayed 2 nights and was then onto Tortolla, BVI for a 7 night Catamaran Sailing. Hotel is close to Airport and also to the Fast Ferry to Tortolla, beach was nice on Linbergh Bay, water pretty, snorkeling on your left. Beach bar and restaurant were fine and they offer a free shuttle over to the other Best Western located on the East side of the Bay where there was a nice Mexican Restaurant. Charlotte Amalie is a nice town for shopping and negotiation
is expected on purchases.
All the rooms were Water front, bath room clean, basic room. Wife broke foot while on Catamaran and when we came back from trip we stayed at the Best Western and they were able to offer us a wheel chair. Hotel was very handicap friendly. Everything said about the property probably has some truth to it. When doing another Sailing trip I will surely stay there again as a stop off place. Join the Best Western Club before you make reservations helps on the pricing. No complaints about food, drink or the beach. Modest price property on the beach and close to Charlotte Amalie, Airport and the Ferry.
Front Desk was very helpful during our 2 stays.
Go enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VaGoldVirginia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Before you reading any reviews, the travel has to know first and foremost that hotel standards are vastly different on St. Thomas compared to the US. You have to remember that you are on an island and the phrase "island time" doesn't refer just to the pace at which people operate, but also the level of luxury.

With that having been said, I can say that the "Best Western at Emerald Beach" was a surprisingly pleasant hotel. We stayed there after spending a week on a charter boat. The reason I chose Emerald Beach was because of the locale (next to the airport, near downtown, near Frenchtown) and the views of the beach as shown on their web site.

For us, the choice was perfect. The location and convenient location to the airport could not have been better. The cab ride from the hotel to the airport was 5 minutes, tops. The views of the beach as shown on the web site were exactly as shown (maybe even better than depicted on their web site).

Every room is beach front. It appeared that every room had a large balcony. This hotel is blessed to truly have a nice sandy beach, rather than a waters edge lined with varying sizes of stones, rocks and boulders.

The rooms were incredibly adequate, as measured by US standards. But, by Virgin Island standards, they were near luxury level accommodations.

The employees were a bit scarce. Their attitudes were pleasant enough. But, there was no one the truly went out of their way to make you feel welcome. That's not to say they were rude, because they weren't. There just wasn't much "service with a smile".

Overall, I would definitely stay at the Best Western at Emerald Beach again. I enjoyed it more than other hotels that had higher ratings and perceived luxury based on their name(s).

One last note. Because of the proximity to the airport, you will hear air traffic noise on occasion. But, the airport is not constantly active all day long and the flights end at about 9:30 at night.

Pros: Beach, location, view, all beachfront rooms, large balconies
Cons: No elevator, occasional air traffic noise

Room Tip: No elevator (at least in the wing we were in). Remember that if you are not fond of using the stair...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The beach and pool were nice. When we checked into our room, noticed that the room safe was ripped out of wall! We asked for another one, was told they would be right up and they never came. The front desk not helpfull. NEVER had beach towels!! Some families were there for 4 days and NEVER got a towel. We were able to get them once, and learned that you need to hold on to them or you will never get them back.. They were always "in the wash or in the dryer". Keep the drain to the bathroom sink closed or the bugs will crawl up through the pipes. Bathroom falling apart, holes in ceiling and walls. For a cheap hotel its fine

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

start off saying we walked to BW Caribe fr airport and took their shuttle to Emerald Beach. Best front desk people-super friendly and helpful. Stored our luggage til room was ready. We were only staying one night before going over to St. John. Food and drinks were good at the bar on the water. Very good pina coladas and desserts! The beach is one of the best ones I've seen and I've traveled the world and live in FL. The room was standard hotel and decent size. Most important , it was clean and not beat up. also bought a beach hat there and same thing was 3 X's the price on St. John. very happy with hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJJTC
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This Hotel was booked by my cousin who had business there and I tagged along. I have to say that it is a very quiet hotel, some people get scared off because it is across from the airport, but we are in St. Thomas not some major hub. There may be about 7 planes leaving a day, so it does not disrupt your sleep or relaxation. The food here is ok. If you stay and they offer the Lobster 3 course meal, jump on it! It was great. The buffet on Friday night was pretty good too. DO NOT expect quick service! The one night my waiter took my order and then about 20 min later came back and said they were out of what i ordered, mind you, there were only about 15 people in there at the time, and he was in never never land. The views from your room are great, every room is a ocean front. When checking in, double check with the desk that you are getting what you booked. I had a king size and after reading reviews on here about them changing that I asked as I was being checked in "you have me for a king size bed right?" and they said no, we have you for 2 double beds, I showed them my reservations and said that I wanted my king room. and they gave it to me. I think they try the ole switcharoo on you when you check in hoping that you just take it and go. Food is VERY expensive there, even in the supermarkets a box of cereal will run you about 12.00! I would bring some with you if you are a breakfast eater because unless you eat there or take a cab into town there is nothing nearby. I suggest reading the page for St. Thomas they list the cab fares because there are some drivers that will try to rip you off. One tried to get 9.00 for a 3.00 ride! After I told him that I was not stupid, he charged the right price. There is a small shop on site that rents snorkel gear, good to take with you if you leave the hotel, but a waste if you are staying there because there really are no fish around there. Kayak rentals are there, when the guy shows up, and that was a lot of fun! I went to Coki Beach which is GREAT to snorkel, a 9.00 per person cab ride away, and you feed the fish dog biscuits and they swarm you! A cab ride into town is about 6.00 per person and is abundant with Jewelers, my advice is to shop around you will get some great deals. I offer one more suggestion, when you walk out of the hotel there is a cab stand, if you like the driver, get his number, tip him good and he will be at your call whenever needed. We had a terrific driver, who was readily available, and gave you the history of the island and some discount cards for various things. Now about the rooms. Very clean, bathrooms were clean, you can get adjoining rooms, you have a nice balcony that overlooks the sea, linens are clean, and the room is spacious. I have no complaints at all. they even have a surge protector that you can charge your phones, laptops etc.. and there is free wifi. If you want Mexican food you can take their free shuttle to their sister hotel about 2 blocks away and enjoy some Mexican food, while sitting waterfront. If you have any disability that limits your walking, I would suggest booking a room on a lower floor. There are 3 floors, and no elevator, and the steps can be a killer, same goes with their sister hotel, to eat there you have to walk down about 4 dozen step, that are VERY steep. The bar at the hotel is busy, and according to which bartender is there is what depends on your service, one just ignored you, and the other was very friendly. Same goes for the waiters, the one who gave me horrible service, I later found out was a plumber by trade, I told him he should stick to plumbing because he is a terrible waiter, no flatware, napkins etc.. The staff at the desk is very helpful, and if you want a late checkout, you call early the day your leaving, it's a first come, first serve basis. I called at 7am and they extended it to 1pm, being my flight was not until almost 5pm, I wanted to check out at 3pm, so for an extra 25.00 I was able to check out 2 hours after their extension, which i thought was great. But if they don't have anything available, you can store your luggage and go do what you want. They keep laptops in the office so that they don't "walk away". If you are looking for non stop action, this is not the place to stay, but if you want an affordable vacation, without all the bells and whistles(which you really don't notice are not there because it's peaceful) this is the place to stay! Forgot to touch on the swimming pool, it is very nice and clean, and has a waterfall and a resident iguana that hangs around! Beach chairs are abundant on the sand too!

Room Tip: Make sure you double check BEFORE going to your room that it's what you booked they try to switc...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!