“Best choice in St Thomas”

Emerald Beach Resort
“Best choice in St Thomas”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

When reading the reviews on this hotel and never having visited St Thomas before I was very skeptical about the booking and expected the worse. I was looking for a hotel that we could use as a base before departing on a yachting holiday.
What a pleasant surprise and excellent choice. I can't imagine that there can be another hotel on the island with a better location, a more beautiful beach and for such a good price.
The water is literally on your doorstep. Great beach and great view. You are 5 minutes from the airport but protected from the noise by a little hill.
The staff were very efficient and friendly when we booked in and could answer all our questions about the hotel and island.
Rooms are great. There is nothing that you want or expect that is not in the room including a nice large safe. You need however to be aware that the hotel has no lifts and it may be a problem for people with a disability.
Beach towels are available at the front desk, free parking and free WiFi (that actually works very well).
Great hotel. I have already booked for my next visit and will recommend this place to all my friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank JacoCl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This Hotel is not a five star but it is close enough to the airport to walk and the amenities here are ample. Check in was a little slow but they were very nice and explained things very well. When checking in at 9:00PM we asked what time the bar closed and were told 10:00PM so we rushed to our room and then headed to the bar for some appetizers and drinks and before we knew it it was 1:30AM and he said he would'nt close the bar until everyone was done drinking, this is my kind of place. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable, had a flat screen TV and all the rooms have ocean veiw with balcony. The beach is nice with chairs and umbrellas, the pool was small but private and the restaurant was expensive, we only ate breakfast there twice and it was just OK. My suggestion for food is to order the pizza from the bar it was excellent. I would stay here again. Roosters will wake you up every morning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Was recommended by our taxi driver to go to Emerald Beach when we arrived to Charlotte Amalie from the Celebrity Eclipse. It turned out to be an excellent choice. Although the beach is small, you can talk a fairly long walk. $20 gets you two beach chairs and an umbrella; with wifi access. I can only comment on the Best Western Plus beach restaurant - it was excellent. As far as the rest of the property goes, it looked cleaned and well kept.

I'm very tempted to try this resort!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I traveled to this resort with my friend during the month of October. It's hard for me to make an accurate assessment of this property because it was slow season and not every feature of the resort was available for us to try (which Is why I subtracted a star). The location was perfect for the trip that I took, since it was a very short stay. I literally walked from the airport to the resort in less than 10 minutes, which made it extremely convenient. The reception staff were helpful, although not above-average in terms of friendliness. The rooms were pretty nice and all feature a perfect view of the beautiful bay. Nothing about the rooms was above average, but if you're vacationing, you shouldn't be spending time in the rooms anyway. The pool area was small, but very nice, and featured a tiki-style bar with friendly staff and unique [and delicious] food and drink options. The bay out front is absolutely perfect for swimming and average snorkeling.

Tips:

If you're interested in going to town, just walk down the street to the right until you reach the end of the airport runway, cross the street to the gas station, and wait for the cheap combined taxi. It would be foolish to take a full-fare taxi. (ask the receptionist for more information)

If you like night-life, remember that St. Thomas is not extremely safe in some places and also closes down relatively early (with the exception of a few bars).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Not sure where to even start, but if you are looking for a wonderful relaxing vacation in paradise do NOT come here.
First, I stayed one night at its sister property and transferred to this hotel the next day. Of course they did not bother to coordinate so despite checking out at 11:30 and arriving there before noon, I was told that I could not get early check in but they'll try. Then i had to check with the front desk 6 six times each time getting the answer "i don't know' when asking when the room was going to be ready. To add onto that, I couldn't have lunch and charge it to the room because I wasn't checked in year. It took me until 3;30pm to finally get my room. So basically wasted 3.5hrs hanging around the hotel doing nothing.
When I finally got my room, it smelled rank and mildewy. Requested another room and another half hour later was given what at first appeared to be a decent room. What I found out later, is that it was infested with MOSQUITOS. Every night and morning I'd come back to a bathroom with at least 10-12 mosquitos flying around, to the point where I had to run in and out of the bathroom and still got bitten. When I requested to be moved, they said they're full but they can fumigate. I thought that would take care of the problem. No. Still every evening I'd come back to mosquitos. This happened for about 3 days.
On top, the staff cannot care less. I ended up transferring to Marriott Frenchman's Reef, which was heaven compared to this. Here the staff can't be bothered. The attitude is that they're doing you a favor or you're bothering them. WIth the only exception, two very lovely older ladies at breakfast.
What's worse, the beach is a public beach and the staff makes NO effort to get the locals off the hotel property. One night as many as 8-10 local teens were playing around in the pool until 11pm and nothing was done about it. It's not wise to leave your belongings on the beach chairs with locals freely roaming about.
It's also literally right at the airport so you will hear planes taking off and landing.
I would recommend spending a little bit more money and going to Marriott or the Ritz, both of which are a world apart.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ckovalyuk
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
I do want to thank you for staying with us at Emerald Beach Resort and for taking the time to write your review. We pride ourselves on our lovely Beach front location and always strive to offer a quality stay with friendly customer service; all at a Great Value!

We do our best to accommodate early check ins (prior to 4:00 pm check in time), if our occupancy allows and clean rooms are available! We apologize that we could not honor your early check in request during your recent stay. We do offer to keep your luggage for you and allow you use of all the amenities at Emerald Beach while you are waiting for your room!

All of the Beaches on St. Thomas are public beaches, available for locals and tourists alike to enjoy. Our Swimming Pool is strictly for our Guest’s use and is regularly monitored to ensure our guests enjoyment.

Thank you again for your comments and we always do our best to continually make improvements to accommodate our guests!

Linda Mason
Sales Manager

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed for one night between flights and really didn't expect much. I was very pleasantly surprised at what this resort is all about!

Big rooms, all with balcony facing the sea... The hotel seemed isolated (in a good way) even though it was beside an airport runway and town was just a quick $6 cab ride away. Met a lot of people who were staying a week... and I can see the appeal.

VERY lively beach bar.... rock on Jebediah... reasonably priced food.

All in all... Completely recommended for an overnighter (and possibly more) before a flight... 10 minute very easy walk to airport...

Room Tip: They all looked the same... just pick 1st floor (out door to beach) or 2nd, 3rd (bit of a view).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelinMan314
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I got married here and it was the wedding of my dreams! Linda, the hotel coordinator, was very hands on and she made sure we had a wonderful day. The decorations were extremely beautiful and the hotel itself is gorgeous. The food was great, the rooms are clean, and the staff was friendly. I don't have any complaints and I would definitely stay here again. It's also reasonably priced. You can't beat that!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a nice view! Choose one higher up away from the palm trees, if possible to get...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsChallenger
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
It was definitely my pleasure to welcome you and your guests to Emerald Beach Resort for your Recent Wedding! I enjoyed working with you and being a part of your Very Special Day! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Wedding Day and staying at our wonderful Resort! Emerald Beach Resort can't be beat for location, quality, service and value! I look forward to welcoming you and your guests back to Emerald Beach Resort, maybe for your First Anniversary!!

Best Wishes

#3 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!