There are many pluses to this hotel, but it's hard to overlook the minuses. It's close to the airport on a pleasant bay with warm, clear water and a clean, sandy beach. The rooms are a good size with lovely views of the beach and bay. There is a small workout room. The staff is pleasant and tries to be helpful, Our room had a small refrigerator and a safe. The bathroom and the bar area appeared to have been upgraded recently, although the bathroom exhaust fan didn't work, and the soap tray in the bath was missing.
On the other side, they charge a 10% "resort fee," and like many people, I try to stay away from places with these deceptive, hidden charges. In this case, it was a business trip, and my host selected the hotel. My wife and I reserved a king size bed but got two double beds. I emphasize double beds, not queens. When we inquired, we were told that there were no kings available. The food at breakfast and dinner was okay, but we had the bad timing to have a wedding party at the same time - very loud. We asked about other palaces to eat nearby and were told that this was the only choice. Next day we learned that the hotel has a free shuttle to a nearby Best Western, and we could have gone there for dinner. So we planned to do that next night and were told that it ran every half hour after 5:00. So we arrived for the shuttle and were told that it wasn't running that night. No explanation. When we got back to our room, the message light was on, but when we pressed the message button - no result We called the front desk and were told that she would have to check with the manager. After half an hour, we called again, and the manage gave us a number to call for messages. The number didn't work. We called again and got a different number that did work.
I have been reminded that I need to have an "island attitude" when visiting the Virgin Islands. I think that means not to expect the mainland level of service or efficiency. I'll work on my attitude.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 100% beachfront resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands! Tucked into sun-splashed Lindbergh Bay on the Island of St. Thomas, the beautifully appointed Emerald Beach Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of the Virgin Islands' rich heritage. BIG King Size Beds and Spectacular Views from EVERY ROOM! FREE High Speed Internet Access. Flat Screen TVs with Cable TV, 100% Beachfront Views with Balcony and Adjustable air-conditioning. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, cascading waterfalls and lush tropical settings, the Emerald Beach Resort offers a central, convenient location close to the airport, shopping, championship golf and all of St. Thomas's great activities and adventures. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable wedding, meeting or corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Emerald Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Best Western St Thomas
- Best Western Emerald Beach Resort
- St. Thomas Best Western
- Emerald Beach Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie