“Plusses and minuses”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed 28 April 2014

There are many pluses to this hotel, but it's hard to overlook the minuses. It's close to the airport on a pleasant bay with warm, clear water and a clean, sandy beach. The rooms are a good size with lovely views of the beach and bay. There is a small workout room. The staff is pleasant and tries to be helpful, Our room had a small refrigerator and a safe. The bathroom and the bar area appeared to have been upgraded recently, although the bathroom exhaust fan didn't work, and the soap tray in the bath was missing.

On the other side, they charge a 10% "resort fee," and like many people, I try to stay away from places with these deceptive, hidden charges. In this case, it was a business trip, and my host selected the hotel. My wife and I reserved a king size bed but got two double beds. I emphasize double beds, not queens. When we inquired, we were told that there were no kings available. The food at breakfast and dinner was okay, but we had the bad timing to have a wedding party at the same time - very loud. We asked about other palaces to eat nearby and were told that this was the only choice. Next day we learned that the hotel has a free shuttle to a nearby Best Western, and we could have gone there for dinner. So we planned to do that next night and were told that it ran every half hour after 5:00. So we arrived for the shuttle and were told that it wasn't running that night. No explanation. When we got back to our room, the message light was on, but when we pressed the message button - no result We called the front desk and were told that she would have to check with the manager. After half an hour, we called again, and the manage gave us a number to call for messages. The number didn't work. We called again and got a different number that did work.
I have been reminded that I need to have an "island attitude" when visiting the Virgin Islands. I think that means not to expect the mainland level of service or efficiency. I'll work on my attitude.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a king bed and check on its availability when you check in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank GregChapelHill
Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

By far the best hotel near the airport. The beach is great but the restaurant was quite awful. Service, however, was absolutely professional.
For the price on St-Thomas, it's a very sage choice. Would go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Just came home from an insanely hectic four day trip to St. Thomas. I cannot fault anything about the quality of the customer service, the location or the food at this resort. All were outstanding. The problem was the room we were assigned. It was on the second floor with no elevator and located right next to the busy stairwell and the housekeeping closet. There was a large tree obscuring the spectacular view from the balcony. The newly renovated bathroom had an ecofriendly toilet that we couldn't get to flush. The bathroom window was jammed partially open letting insects in. Housekeeping wasn't good. One day my daughter came into the room and found the housekeeper taking a personal call on our phone. We had to ask for toilet paper. On the third night I had to raid the hotel laundry room because our towels were removed but not replaced. There were many times that I grumbled to myself "I'm paying $251 a night for this?" But after all is said and done, I want to strongly reiterate that if the itinerary of this trip had not been so frantic and I had taken the time to complain, I am reasonably confident that my issues would have been addressed while we were there. So my advice to each and every one of you coming behind us is to speak up immediately if you don't like your room assignment. Get your money's worth and have a great time. PS: There is not enough noise from the planes overhead to justify some of the comments made in other reviews. As for the roosters, they didn't crow or wake us up as described elsewhere. It was actually cute to see the little ones greet us at our table while dining outside!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BuickMackane
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My review is about their customer service ONLY. I had a flight scheduled to leave New York to St Thomas that ended up being delayed so I wasn't able to make the ferry to St. John's, so at the last minute booked a room at the Best Western since it was close to the airport. A few hours later, my flight was canceled so I called the hotel to try to cancel my room. I understand they have a cancellation policy, but despite my efforts to be respectful and inquire if they would do anything, the general manger was rude to me, accused me of trying to lie, and was generally incredibly unpleasant.

I cannot vouch for the hotel as the location actually looked pretty nice, but I would not recommend staying here solely because of my awful customer service experience with the manager of this hotel - there are much nicer hotels on the island for the same price, with staff that knows how to treat customers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank brand_trvlr
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

We do have a very generous cancellation policy at Emerald Beach Resort which allows guests to cancel their reservation within 72 hours to avoid any penalty. You did speak with our General Manager and he did offer to release you from your one night deposit if we were able to sell the room that night, which unfortunately did not happen. There were statements made by you that if you weren’t given a full refund for your deposit that you would display “everywhere” negative reviews about our Customer Service. We do try to work with our travel guests when extenuating circumstances do arise, but do have cancellation policies in effect that are explained to guests upon booking.

Linda Mason
Sales Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Emerald Beach for 5 nights at the beginning of April 2014. From the very minute we arrived, we felt that we had arrived in paradise. Admittedly the staff might work at a slower pace than one is used to, but that actually helped us wind down and really start to relax. They were alle very kind and plesant.

The room was quite big and the view over the beach was stunning. It was very clean and was cleaned very well every day, Everything worked, both fridge and safe.

There was a lovely pool. However we did not try it, as it could not compete at all with the stunning beach which was just on the doorstep. White sand and plenty of space. Free sunbeds and plenty of them.Fantastic.

The restaurant served really nice breakfast with everything you could want. Sitting on the terrace for breakfast just a couple of meters from the water was heavenly. We had dinner twice in the restaurant in the evening. food was good although a little pricy. There was a beachbar which served really nice cocktails, also right at the water edge.

The close proximity to the airport was not a problem. the noise was not too bad. It was easy to walk 500meter from the hotel and then you could catch a dollarbus which would take you straight to downtown Charlotte Amalie for just 1 dollar. A taxi would take you to Frenchtown (nice restaurants, especially Twisted Cork) for 6 dollars per person

In all, a perfect holiday for us and we are seriously considering returning to same hotel another time.

Room Tip: all rooms have seaview so they are all excellent
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andersostergaard
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The view of Lindbergh bay was amazing from our third floor balcony, so serene. The room was clean and bright, bed was ok, enough towels provided. There was some minor confusion with our room when we checked in, so the staff give us free breakfast at the hotel restaurant for the length of our stay which saved us a lot of money. The restaurant is right on the beach. The hotel grounds are awesome, very jungle-like. The pool has a nice waterfall and a view of the beach as well. Only drawback is the neighborhood is a little sketchy so taxis are a must, however we did make the short walk to the airport with no problems. Hotel grounds seem safe. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were disappointed during our stay for 4 nights to celebrate our anniversary. We were deceived by our waiter over the cost of coffee and breakfast cost more than it should. When I confronted him he told me "you should get your wife to explain it to you". If they could charge you for the air you breath they would. They really know how to separate you from your money here and in St. Thomas.
The hotel was dated, the restaurant smelled, was dirty, had slow and poor service. The refrigerator did not work in our room and was told it would be replaced, but never was. Our friend's room was a mosquito breeding ground and nothing was done to correct it. Their solution was to spray chemicals.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeWebb219
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

All of our reviews are important to us at Emerald Beach Resort! We do read every review we receive and personally respond to many of them. I did reach out to you to discuss your recent stay. We do offer coffee makers with complimentary coffee in each guest room for our guest’s convenience and do apologize for any misunderstandings that may have occurred during your recent visit.

Customer Service and our guests’ experience are of great importance to us! It is our goal to offer a quality, memorable trip to our guests at a great value. We are proud to offer some of the most attractive room rates, the best quality food and menu pricing in St. Thomas.

We have a wonderful staff always ready to assist with anything our guests may need during their stay. We are always willing to offer our guests a change in rooms when our occupancy allows and unfortunately when you visited us recently we were unable to offer a room change to your friends. We did in fact take steps to accommodate them and alleviate the problem!

We do offer a wonderful beachfront location and all of our rooms have had recent upgrades. Bathrooms with marble floors and vessel sinks; updated modular furniture, larger flat screen televisions, upgraded and improved internet service are just of the few upgrades we have recently completed!

We also had the pleasure of serving you a wonderful 40th Anniversary Celebration for you and a few friends; a gift from your daughter! It is always our pleasure to serve our guests in any way that we can!

I believe that we covered each area of concern that was listed in your review during our recent conversation! We would love to have you visit us again in the future and please feel free to contact me should you need any further assistance.

Linda Mason

#1 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!