“" My Getaway "”

Emerald Beach Resort
Hubbard, Oregon
“" My Getaway "”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Sharene, Tiffany, Tamika, and Sharma came to my rescue by getting me out of the ant & roach infested, and unbearable construction noise at the Windward Passage after I had not even been there 24 hours.
My new room # 3107 at the Emerald Resort was just perfect. I LOVED the TLC Laura at the Boutique gave me with traveling around the island on the Safari Taxi, what to do, where to go, when to be back for my safety due to being alone, etc.
I LOVED the TLC Denise gave me from the Palms Restaurant as well as the attention to my requests that Erskine gave me, also.
I LOVED the excellent service and attention to my requests that I received at the Beach Bar from Taylor, Zack, & Morgan. I was never thirsty around them...LOL ( The 2 other bartenders need discipline, however !!! ) I was NOT happy when Chris stood me up when I was scheduled for a JetSki Tour for Monday the 16th. I was also VERY unhappy about the Tropics Tour to St. John on the 17th. Not only because it rained, but also no one could understand what the guide was saying most of the time, we got tired of looking at island foliage, and we had very little time to shop and run around on our own. Truly a waste of $125.oo.
But most of all; I just cannot go back because the no-see-ums ate me UP ! ! I was miserable traveling back to Portland OR due to the many, many bug bites. Except for the bugs, the St.John tour, and being stood up for the JetSki tour; the Best Western Emerald Resort will be added to my many great memories <3

Room Tip: I was told that all of the rooms have a beach view; so they should all be equal.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel because we had to catch a flight and it was near the airport. While the pictures of the beach look nice they don't show the homeless people sleeping on the beaches nor do they show the dump property that's on site that looks like a homeless shelter.

We checked in around 10pm. We were told not to leave anything of value in our cars. We went to room and the exterior hallway was filled with trash and dirty linens and towels. I opened the door and the room had not been cleaned. The hotel does not have elevators so you have to carry your bags up stairs. The hotel moved us to another room but the sheets were dingy and the bedding had stains and the pillows looked like bodily fluid was on it. The bathroom sink had tooth paste in it from past guests and the bathroom had filth on the counter, baseboards and mirrors. The room was very dirty. As in Gross. I instructed my kids not to touch any of it while my husband and I removed the pillows and decorative items from the beds. I got my kids settled and took a shower only to reach for towels that weren't there! No towels in the room at all. I called the front desk and was told there were none! After a while some man delivered towels. Upset about the cleanliness of room and lack of towels I tried to get some rest...but had to call security because homeless people were fighting on the beach under our room. Security did come (this is now after midnight). After all of this the beds were awful, dingy sheets, terribly uncomfortable and bugs all over the room. We had mosquito bites after we woke up. I called front desk that morning and no manger at the hotel. The front desk took $75 off our $217 bill. I think it wasn't enough. I would not recommend this hotel. I think sleeping in the airport would have been cleaner and probably safer too.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Mimimcmillon
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your stay at Emerald Beach Resort. Our resort is located directly on Lindbergh Bay, and each room is just steps away from the beach. There isn’t a dump located near Emerald Beach Resort or Lindbergh Bay. We also have strict cleaning policies and all of our housekeeping staff abides by these standards on a daily basis. We also have routine insect scanning and inspections done on each room to ensure that our resort is as comfortable and clean as possible.

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Hyattsville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is unimpressive. It will only fill your basic need to have shelter while away from home. The staff was unengaged and not resourceful. I have traveled to other islands and the hotel staff were kind, friendly, and helpful. This staff was none of the above. They barely greet you when you enter the lobby. When we asked about activates around the island or restaurants they literally had no answers or valid suggestions to offer.

There was a roach in our room, and when I called the front desk the attendant laughed and did not offer to change our room. On one particular day we had been out site seeing for about 7 hours we returned to the room at 5 PM and it was not cleaned, a few minutes later a member of the house keeping staff knocked on the door to clean the room. When we explained that we had just returned to the room and wanted some down time to change for the beach. She refused to come back and cleaned the room with us in it while we were trying to change. When we asked her if we could have extra towels she said we could go to the front desk and get them over selves. The entire experience was rude and inconsiderate.

The hotel is located on decent beach front which is its only saving grace. If you are visiting St. Thomas there are much better hotels. Best Western Emerald Beach "Resort" does not provide a relaxing environment and is not centrally located.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Khalilah A
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good day, and thank you for reviewing your stay on TripAdvisor. Our team at Emerald Beach Resort strives to make every guests experience memorable. We have a continuous goal to improve ourselves as a team and as a company with costumer service at the highest importance.

Our housekeeping staff’s shift ends at 5:30 and they all work very hard every day to get around to cleaning all the rooms at the resort. We also are very proud of our beautiful beach that is just steps away from all the rooms at Emerald Beach Resort.

Sincerely
Tourrettes-sur-Loup, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

On a touristy island such as St Thomas is, this is an oasis of calm. The rooms on the beach are fabulous. The waters calm - and warm. Breakfast is great in an open air restaurant right next to the beach. Hotel concierge service is good. Everyone seems to be engaged with guest service. A warm friendly feel. There is also a pool for those who enjoy "fresh" water. A no-brainer if staying in St Thomas.

Room Tip: Beach view. Ground floor is more intimate
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick C
Thank you Nick for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed both our beach and restaurant. All of our rooms are beach front and make it easy for all our guests to enjoy all the amenities while they are on vacation. Also, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and are always aiming to make our guests feel welcome.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel was perfect for our needs! We got a great deal from Priceline that worked out to just over $100/night, so for that we were very pleased. Check in was a little weird...only one woman was working the front desk with quite a line building behind us. We booked a king room and confirmed it weeks ago, based on reading of others experiences here on TA. The woman told us (and the 2 people trying to check in before us) that our king room wasn't clean yet and that we could take a double room or wait. Since I'd heard of this happening from another reviewer, I asked if we could be compensated with a free breakfast voucher since we had to wait. As if by magic, she let us know our room was suddenly available and gave us the keys to our king room right away. I thought this was very strange, not sure why they try this bait & switch but thanks to reviews I knew better than to settle ;)

Other than this one weird experience, everything else was great! Nice cold air conditioned room, wonderful views of the ocean & beach. The bed wasn't great, but then again I'm 6 months pregnant and no bed has been great in a while! Hubby slept just fine. I was pleasantly surprised to find a 40" HDTV when the website indicated a 27". Beautiful well kept grounds, gorgeous pool overlooking the beach. We were in building 3 on the second floor, close to the bar but noise levels were fine. Yes, this airport is extremely close to the airport, but the noise didn't really bother us at all - we spent most of our days off property on different beaches or out shopping, so we missed the majority of the big plane noise. But make no mistake you can definitely hear it!

We only ate at the restaurant for breakfast a couple times, and the food was fine. Even better was enjoying breakfast right on the beach. Can't speak to the dinner menu, but this hotel is so close to Frenchtown with really great restaurants that we didn't bother.

Overall we were extremely pleased with this hotel, especially for the price! Shop around online for the best deal, and you won't be disappointed !

Room Tip: Building three, second floor has great views, not too many stairs and very convenient to the pool, b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lapeer, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I got married on Emerald Beach and stayed at the resort for a week in may of 2014. The beach was beautiful the staff was very friendly and helpful. I only have a few things that I didn't like the room service didn't come until 4-5 pm and we were generally getting ready to go to dinner at that time so our room got serviced I think once the whole week we were there. And the day we got married we were walking back to our hotel and there was broken glass on the side walk now you are walking from a beach so we didn't have shoes on and most people walking through there didn't either we told the front desk and they said they were going to take care of it immediately but it was 2 days before it actually got cleaned up. The rooms were clean and so was everything else. If you are getting married on the island you have to be a go with the flow bride my bouquet wasn't even the right flowers let alone the right style I personally didn't care but to some people that might be a big deal.
Remember everything is on Island time... nothing is fast plan on getting your food an hour after you order anywhere you go. The sister hotel Oceanside was the best restaurant we ate at on the island and some of our wedding party stayed there and said it was awesome! And there rooms were serviced no later then 10 am. There pictures are also photo shopped there is a huge waste water treatment plant in view at all times but it doesn't smell its just not pretty to look at. All and all it was a good stay and I would probably go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived to the hotel very early in the morning. We knew check in time is 4:00PM. However, the wonderful attendant got us 1 room and before we had completed our breakfast, the second room was ready for our friends. The view is simply spectacular. Rooms are nice and clean. Some may think curtains and furniture is outdated, but all are still in good shape. The restaurant is a very nice facility with its various levels. The menu has its nice variety for all tastes. Service was shorthanded. 2-3 employees attending a pretty full restaurant will make things slow, reminding us that we were on island time. Servers were very attentive. However, the opportunity is there to teach the staff how to serve. First, you supply the table with utensils and napkins, then you bring coffee and sugar. Not the other way around. Food was cold but flavorfull. Bar served great drinks. Pool was excellent and food served from the bar was plenty and good. The bathrooms close to the restaurant was a mess and I reported it to the lobby clerk who sent someone to clean. I find it awkward that there was no staff monitoring the bath to assure it is serviced as required. I recognize there were some activities going on but that should not be an excuse for monitoring public areas for cleanliness. Overall, the hotel could use some TLC, but it still works as it is. We can go back without problems.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you Reinaldo for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We take all of our reviews seriously and are always interested in what our guests have to say about their stay!

It’s wonderful that our front desk attendant was able to get your room in a timely fashion. We do our best to get guests into their room as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Caribbean Fusion is new to Emerald Beach Resort, and so far, we have been very happy with the results. We try to incorporate Caribbean cuisine, but also offer something for the pickier eater in the group. Currently, we are getting the flow for the restaurant down and are always aiming to improve. Our bar is another strong suit in our resort. We couldn’t be happier with the services we provide our customers and the quality of drinks and food they are producing. It’s great to hear you enjoyed both the beach bar and the pool!

Our grounds are cleaned on a daily basis and that includes the bathrooms near the restaurant. Some days are a bit busier than others, but we always make it a habit to have staff look out for things like that. We do appreciate you acknowledging the restroom condition to the lobby clerk so it could be serviced sooner.

We hope to see you again in the future and thank you again for your review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
#3 of 22 in St. Thomas

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!