“Not so great honeymoon....”

Emerald Beach Resort
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2004

Man was this Hotel a nightmare. The staff was so rude, except for Ralston who we loved. He is the Bartender at the Tiki bar and makes a Mean Rum Punch! Our room was dirty, cracked walls, and in need of a serious paint job. The refrigirator was broken and in concrete. Our Iron and coffee pot was broken. When I called the front desk to get a replacement iron and coffee pot, the lady asked me if I turned it on. What an idiot. the one at the desk when we checked out was the worst. She was like, "Ok I am done with you now leave." WHat a *$%&. The island is very slummy and not safe so you have to take a taxi EVERYWHERE! You cant walk and this hotel is far from everything., The restaraunt there is TOTALLY overpriced for the quality of food and service. the Continental Breakfast is a real laugh. They want you to tip them there for everything like if they bring you a fork! They will tell you too that you have to tip them. Whatever. I would not suggest going to this hotel. the "Please bolt your door for safety" sign on our balcony door really scared me off...

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 29 April 2004

We stayed in this hotel for a few days and I can't express to you how disguisting it is. Please if I can spare anyone this experience then at least someone will benefit. The only ammenities this hotel offers is a nice beach and the staff is reasonably friendly otherwise nothing. We found dead insects in our room, one day we didn't have maid service at all. The bar, restaurant and pool are small. It is very expensive to take a taxi to other sites. Roughly $11 to Charlotte Amalie and approx $20 to the East end which is where many of the restaurants are and the ferry to St John. You should stay somewhere more centrally located or in the East End.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Elmhurst, NY
Reviewed 27 April 2004

My husband and I stayed at the EBR from April 8-13. EBR- is on a very nice, clean, and calm beach and what makes it even better is the location. It is literally 5 minutes, if that, from the airport. The noise from the planes is not bad at all. We arrived on one of the last flights, we were immidately transported by Tropic Tours to the airport, no waiting. When we arrived at the EBR, our rooms were ready, and I had previously requested 2nd flr, king bed. Which our room was what we expected to be and what we requested. The nice thing about this hotel is that all the rooms are ocean views, so you don't have to pay extra if you want the view. No hassle in checking in, the only thing was that we had to carry our own luggage, not an issue though. The rooms are great, they are spacious and very clean. Room service was great, we had fresh clean towels everyday, without asking. The 1st night we were there we decided to go to the restaurant, I must say the food was ok, no big deal. The staff, ok as well. All wait staff are at a slower pace. I must say that they make a great Pina Colada, and their apple pie a la mode is also very good. We didn't experience any rudeness though, as I had previously read on other reviews. We also ate in French Town @ Alexander's the food again was ok, but the desserts were good. We didn't rent a car, so if you are relying on their shuttle in to town (leaving EBR @ 9:30a.m.) make sure you are at the front lobby by 9:00a.m. since is first come first serve basis, and the shuttle only sits 7. We also ate breakfast at Bumpa's, which was cheap and good. And we ate at the Green House, also cheap and good. If you have time take the ferry to St. John to Trunk Bay and experience another beautiful beach. Our overall vacation on St. Thomas and at the EBR was was great I have no complaints, and would without any doubt go back to the EBR. The only thing that I would recommend is to rent a car, as it can get very expensive riding cabs back and forth. Last but not least, we met a very nice couple at the EBR, by the name of Mike and Jenn, they came by and asked us if we wanted to go snorkling and we did, they took us on their boat to Buck's Island and we snorkled for about an hour, we got great pics of sea turtle under the water. They were really nice and we had a great time with them.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 22 April 2004

In February, 2004, during our visit to St. Thomas, we stayed at the Best Western/Emerald Beach. We found the location wonderful, the beach is arguably one of the better sandy stretchs on the entire island and the snorkling easily as good as any advertised at the more popular tourist attractions.
After the first day the staff went out of their way to make our stay both pleasant and rewarding. The meals, those served at the dining room, should be considered average but then again, I don't think there are any 'great' dinning places on the island and after several visits, I believe I've eaten everyplace from the local burger joint to the high dollar places. The fact remains, at Emerald Beach, the sunset views offered from the open dinning area made even the most mundane dinner and wonderful experience.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 April 2004

The Emerald Beach was just as we expected after reading most of the reviews here. Our stay was from April 15-20. After picking up our rental at Budget we went to the hotel to check-in. We were told it would be a few minutes and they gave us some drink coupons for the bar.
After 15 minutes we went back to the desk and they said our room still wasn't ready and some blonde(with an attitude) came out and said maybe not until 5:30, another 2 hours. I said I had a meeting to attend at 4:30 and what do you know a room was ready. The room was nice, pool was nice. Continental breakfast was quite adequate(English muffins, cereal, juice, fruit coffee). The Friday night buffet for $27.95 wasn't that great except for the ribs. The conch fritters and the $12.00 cheeseburger and fries were good. This was the only 2 times we ate there. We were in the non-smoking building, very quiet and great view.
The planes taking off were actually kinda cool. Rent a car it's the only way to go. The best meal we had was lunch at Cuzzins. The worst meal we had was at Hook, Line and Sinker(mediocre at best). Take the car ferry to St. Johns and head for Maho Bay. The Best Western suited our needs, if you want the Ritz well check into the Ritz. Don't forget rent a car and check and make sure they put the gas cap back on after you fill-up!!

3  Thank inzane44
Reviewed 20 April 2004

We arrived at the Best Western Emerald Beach on April 15 and left April 18. We found it to be a clean, well-run hotel with a pretty beach and nice views from the restaurant and our room. The airplane traffic during the day was definitely noticeable but didn't bother us.We had no problems with rude staff members; however, we observed American tourists being rude to hotel staff and other guests on several occasions. From what we saw, the staff replied to demanding guests and badgering questions with cool detachment. The level of service and attitude of staff was comparable to or better than other hotels and restaurants we visited in St. John and St. Thomas.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank KristinS_9
Reviewed 11 April 2004

My sister and I stayed at the Emerald Beach Hotelin March, and I must say my expectations was met. The continental breakfast was quite filing. The hotel is close to the airport and downtown. The view is beautiful, and the noise from the planeslanding and taking off is hardly noticiable.

1  Thank nickle
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!