“Hey, at least it's inexpensive”
Review of Bunker Hill Hotel

Bunker Hill Hotel
“Hey, at least it's inexpensive”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were in St. Thomas for one night before we board a sail boat for 6 glorious days in the BVIs. We were just looking for an inexpensive place to stay. And that is what we got.

First the positives. This is a cute, rambling place with great outdoor spaces, great views, and a really good restaurant (The Sugar Cane Grill - read my review of that place). If you just need a place for a night, this hotel is fine. But if you plan to stay a while, you can do better.

The neighborhood immediately around the hotel is a little bit sketchy at night. It appears ok during the day, but it doesn't seem like it is near anything. Since we were only here for the night, we didn't go exploring, so others can correct me if I am wrong. But it doesn't appear that we were near any of the cool things in the historic Charlotte Amalie area.

Our room was very spartan. The shower was pathetic. It's a hand held shower and the hose was partially severed (Harry Potter fans - think Nearly Headless Nick) so that more water came out of the hose than the shower head. And the water never really gets hot. Warmish is the best you can do. The disrepair of the shower head is indicative of the state of repair of the rest of the place. The sink faucet was not secured down and moved around quite a bit. There was some water damage in the ceiling which needed repair. Basically it's just fairly run down and in need of some loving.

The bed was comfortable, but the polyester blend sheets made it warmer and less comfortable. I prefer hotels like this it cookie cutter holiday inn type hotels, so this was fine for one night. It was inexpensive with great views and the restaurant was completely worth it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JSCramp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I booked 2 rooms for a stay at Bunker Hill through Booking.com. I received confirmation from Bunker Hill and made all travel arrangements around my reservation. I received a call at 9:00 on the Saturday before I was to arirve that the hotel was overbooked, and they could not honor the reservation made weeks before. They cancelled both rooms. I explained that my expectation would be for them to find 2 rooms that were as good or better to honor the reservation. Conrad explained there were no rooms available on the island and that would not be possible. I asked for a call from the property owner-of course this never happened. I was left the day before Christmas vacation scrambling to make hotel arrangements. I did get another call from Conrad the next night at 10:30 pm letting me know they now had one room available(this of course did not solve the problem since I needed 2). I had already cancelled my plans with my friends, and was unable to meet up with friends that were flying into the Caribbean from Copenhagen, DK because of this. I would caution anyone not to book with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in November 2013. The immediate neighborhood is very run down and gave us concern, especially in the evenings. While conveniently located in the historic district, this B&B is run down and not up to par with the reviews I had read. Our room smelled from mold and the solution they provided was a fragrance spray which did nothing but mask the mold smell for half a day. The mattress was old and was coming apart. There was no Kleenex and I requested it but none was provided. While the price was reasonable, I would have gladly paid more to have a better experience. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
While some of the staff was friendly ( especially at the restaurant), it did not make up for the poor overall experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly L
Bunker_Hill_Hotel, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Good Day Beverly L. While we are very surprised and indeed sad to hear that you did not enjoy your time here with us, we can not apologize for what we are... a budget friendly establishment. As such, we can hardly provide the same amenities as hotels that charge twice and three times our rate. The guests that stay with us and write us very nice reviews come here with that knowledge and we are therefore able to exceed their expectations with the attentiveness of our staff, our clean and comfortable rooms, complementary breakfast, lovely views and great on-site restaurant.

We would like future guests to know that all photos on our website are unedited and therefore very representative of the condition of our property our views and our rooms. Thank you.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed at Bunkerhill for one night in October with my boyfriend. We planned to take the ferry the next day to Tortola and wanted to be close. The taxi ride from the airport was $9/person and about a 10 minute ride. The neighborhood around the hotel seemed to be a little seedy. I felt comfortable during the day to walk around but during night hours we took cabs (this was recommended to us by several people we spoke to). The staff at the hotel were fairly friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There is no elevator or hot water. There are 2 small swimming pools which were clean and lit up at night. There is a small free breakfast that included either an egg with toast or pancakes. The location in proximity to shops, ferry and restaurants is the best thing about this hotel. We walked to the ferry with luggage in about 10 minutes. It is an easy, downhill, scenic walk. I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't need something fancy, wants to be walking distance to everything and wants to save a few dollars.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank chevaf8b
Bunker_Hill_Hotel, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear chevaf8b,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We know that with many options for lodging here on St. Thomas, you chose us and we are glad that we could live up to expectations. Stay tuned for new enhancements to the downtown area slated to be completed by 2015. These added features will no doubt make any future visits that much better. Hope to see you again. Be well!
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The shower had no hot water. We were there four (4) days and could only take cold showers. (At first I thought the "hot" and "cold" were reversed, but no. There just was no hot water.) No fun washing your hair in cold water.

The only internet access is in the lobby. There is no internet access in your room. If you bring your laptop and need to get online, you have to take it downstairs to the Lobby.

Room Tip: The on-site restaurant is expensive.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear cathy194,
We are sorry to hear that your room did not have hot water while you were staying with us. All rooms are equipped with a hot water so we do wish you would have brought the matter to the attention of the front desk so that we would have had the opportunity to address the issue. As for the internet, we do provide free wi-fi for all of our guests. Wi-fi signal is best in all common areas, which include both pool decks, restaurant and lobby.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do hope if given the opportunity, we can meet and/or exceed expectations on future visits. Be well.
murphy, NC
Reviewed 31 August 2013

let me begin by saying this was our 2nd trip to St. Thomas. We have a daughter in her 2nd year at U.V.I. University and as such we visit her when we can. Our last trip was not the best so this time we read reviews right here and decided to give the Bunker Hill a try as it seemed like a good value. They had everything we needed on site including a very nice restaurant the Sugarcane Grille. Well when we arrived we met Conrad at the front desk and felt right at home, we went to our room and it was nice and clean, everything worked and had a beautiful view of the ocean and downtown area.Next that same night we gave the restaurant a try and met Christiana the Host and Andrew the Chef and had one of the best meals in my life....grilled mahi and vegetables and tried the fried bananas...out of this world........the atmosphere was so romantic with candles, music they did it right! Next day we met Annette and she fixed us a wonderful breakfast upstairs in another very cute area of the hotel....just wonderful...so they keep us so well fed we ate everymeal in a week except one at the hotel....it was that good....! Then we met Angela who works all over the hotel so sweet .....Let me say this....never in my life would I say a hotel was my favorite part of our trip but the Bunker Hill was just that....incredible.....5 star service......this is the real deal...stay with the locals in the heart of downtown....you may just have a FANTASTIC TIME just like we did.....Thank you....Conrad, Christina, Andrew, Annette and Angela....we will be back in the spring and wont bother to even think about where we will spend our time...it will be with you guys! Dennis and Peggy Johnson

Room Tip: Just ask Conrad or Angela they wont let you down.........
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rulon j
Murphy, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 August 2013

A home away from home..great people to be around, very helpful with anything. Our new friends to see again. Some of the best cooking at the Sugarcane Grill Restaurant! Thanks to Andrew- a great chef! You have to try the grilled mahi, seafood gumbo, and salads. Great walking distance and enjoy meeting the local people. Thanks to Christana, Andrew, Conrad, Annette, and others. God bless you all and have many blessed days!
Your friends,