“Very nice place!”
Review of Bunker Hill Hotel

Bunker Hill Hotel
“Very nice place!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We are a group of 11 friends traveling with two kids and had a wonderful experience at Bunker Hill. The rooms were comfortable and clean, service was great and the food at the Sugarcane was great and nicely priced. If you are looking for luxuries don't stay here, but if you are traveling in a budget this is the place!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank INES R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The staff, organization, and facilities at Bunker Hill were excellent. The AC in our room worked great. The Sugarcane grill upstairs is open for lunch and dinner and was fantastic. The best meal and cocktails we had our entire trip. The complementary breakfast was a full made to order breakfast with coffee and OJ and was very good. All of the staff were very friendy and helpful. We stayed at Sunset Gardens Guesthouse the night before and Bunker Hill was an immeasurably better value for the same price. Other reviewers seem completely out of touch with what $120 a night will get you in St. Thomas. If you want updated furniture and a modern color pallette then stay at the Marriot for $300 a night. Overall our experience was awesome. We will stay here anytime we are in St Thomas.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I emailed this hotel and let them know I was coming from the British Virgin Islands and I would arrive early afternoon and I wanted to leave my luggage and then get to the beach. They told me they had a luggage room, etc., and that was no problem at all, and if a room was ready I could check in. I paid in full with a reservation. When I arrived the receptionist was speaking with a rehearsed speech and I noticed lots of different luggage all around the reception area. She said well it is kind of early to check in so if you would like to go have lunch at OUR restaurant then maybe after that she would allow me to check in. She then said grab one of those travel books and I did not knowing why, and she opened the book to a map and then guided me to the blue tents where they sell souvenir stuff. She had my travel plans arranged! But...I said that actually I had planned to check in like i mentioned and then go to St Johns and she looked disappointed and just said oh... So I then could really feel she did not really care at all about what my actual travel plans were and like I mentioned I had emailed inquiring about the time I planned to check in and was told no problem. So she called someone reluctantly and must have received a snappy response because she hung up quickly and then said yeah no rooms yet. And I do not feel okay with leaving my bags in a reception area where they could easily get stolen. So I took a taxi to Magens Bay and took a picture of the view, etc., and told her I will be back in an hour and hope my bags are going to be safe. I got back and she must have told someone else who worked there as another lady was sitting with her, and looked like she was ready for an argument. I just politely came in and was always speaking with a nice soft voice, politely, and they finally gave me a room. I went up, the door was open, perhaps to air it out, and someone with the door being open had used the toilet. I took a second look to make sure it wasn't cleaning solution but no it was urine and also on the seat. The room is old, with pink curtains, and multi color throw on bed, orange, yellow, brown, and broken light, etc. I went out to eat elsewhere, and brought some snacks back and received a rude look. I took care to watch for how many guests had breakfast and only a handful showed up. It was obvious their place was not full and for whatever reason they just didn't want to let me check in until late afternoon. If they had emailed me back stating all check ins are only done at 4pm, etc., then I just would have booked another place. But this really affected my day in St Thomas. All the other places I stayed in let me check in right away and get on with my day while on vacation as time is limited. I had to check into another place at 10:30 am the next day and go to St Johns for the day as I had originally planned. This place has a really bad attitude. Even the next morning with breakfast the lady is slow, rude, and the breakfast is instant coffee, one egg that is not scrambled enough and the white part was gross, with lunch meat. And when checking out I said good morning I am checking out and I did not get a nice response back. They need to realize there are many guest houses within a half a block of them and lots of accommodation choices that will care for their guests. I would never stay here again. It was a disappointing stay. And there is a huge garbage pile beside this hotel. And it is quite dumpy.

Room Tip: Rooms are old and dated.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Worldexplorer21

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Antigua
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to the BVI's, it wasn't great and I wouldn't stay again if I can help it. We were on the top floor and there was no lift/elevator so that was a hike with our cases!! On the top floor the wifi wont reach the rooms so that was annoying, the room was really out of date and the bathroom wasn't great. The shower was awful! It is walking distance to the shops and restaurants so we walked to get some supper. There is a bar and restaurant on site however. That's it really, we left quite early the next morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nathan K
Minneapolis,Mn
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed for one night in February on our way to a sailing trip in the BVI. Seemed OK at first. Our room was a "deluxe", but we we opened the bathroom door, roach ran to the corner and a dark red stain appeared, looked like blood, but turned out to be water leaking from the light/fan onto the floor. No hot water at all. Property was not very well kept, neat but needed a lot of repairs. Has a Wifi service which did work fine. Staff was friendly.

It has a restaurant on site and bar. 3 Pools, none looked very clear or clean. I understand that its not supposed to up to US standards, but it as bad as I have every seen.

Close to shopping and the harbor.

Room Tip: Can't recommend it. Spend $50 more and stay somewhere clean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank avklevens
Fallls Church, Va.
Reviewed 8 February 2014

If you are looking for luxury, this is not it. But this hotel is amazingly convenient to shopping, historic sights in Charlotte Amalie, and to the harbor. We had a nice room with a huge balcony that had a wonderful view. We could sit on the balcony, have some wine, enjoy the breeze, and watch what is going on below. The manager was extremely accommodating. Because we stayed for three nights, we received a complimentary tour of the island and a drop-off and pick-up at Magens Bay for swimming. The hotel serves an excellent complimentary full breakfast with excellent choices, served in an outdoor space. The food in the Sugar Cane Grill on the premises is worthy of a separate review (which I shall give it) and serves lunch and dinner.

If you have a handicap, this hotel is built into the hill, has numerous steps and no elevators.
We are not handcapped but were helped with out luggage.

Room Tip: Room 21 is great!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stan36
Washington DC
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Bunker Hill for 4 nights in October 2013 and found it to be exactly what I payed for and some.Remember this is a Budget Hotel..check in went very smoothly, I was able to connect to wi-fi in my room, sometimes in my patio which was lovely I had awesome views of the hillside and most of all...quiet.Ms Angela is a gracious host and gives her all to make you feel at home as well as her staff.
The Restaurant on site is simply outstanding the food will bring you back each day,free breakfast daily is consistent and delicious made to order.
The staff are very knowledgeable of the area and have really good suggestions for site seeing also I had a free tour included in my rate which took me to Mountain Top and Coki Bay it was awesome, basically all day.
If you want “fancy bells and whistles" there are hotels on the island that will cater to you.
If you just want to relax not be bothered unless needed and can get out and discover St Thomas on your own then Bunker Hill is an option.Oh and Blackbeard's Castle is next door.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo