“Amazing Place and Staff”

Island Beachcomber Hotel
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This place is great! I give a 5* not because of the quality of the room of the actual resort but because of the people who make you understand why like is so much more than complaining about the minor imperfections and letting you know the beyond the interior walls life exist, and people with personalities and life in their body exists! I could take 20 mins to write about all the imperfections and small things that didn't live up to my standards! But u know what I won't because all on all it was a fabulous time!!! SILKA was superb A+ service Tereaa and Shakara as well as the other male bartender the one who is originally from NY is amazing!!! Everyone was fantasy what a great team you have working for u. They surely outshines and exceeded my expectations. AGAIN IF U ARE A CHEAPSKATE AND ARE LOOKING FOR A CHEAP PLACE WITH HIGH-CLASS STANDARDS THIS IS NOT FOR U, so stop complaining and giving the place a bad wrap because it didn't meet your MARRIOTT STANDARDS. I have booked my trip for Nov. And can't wait to see you guys again ❤️❤️⛵️✈️

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I missed my connecting flight due to weather, when I got in a day later, they upgraded me to a beachfront room and pushed my reservation forward a day so I wouldn't lose any time on the island. This isn't a fancy resort, it's an older building, and it's very quiet and laid back, with a very homey feel. The entire staff was genuinely happy and friendly. The menu at the bar and cafe isn't very huge and they only serve meals at certain times throughout the day, but the food is very good. If you're looking for a five star resort, this is not the place for you, but if you want a peaceful quiet vacation on one of the nicest beaches on the island, there is no place better. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had the great opportunity to be there and there were a couple of musicians playing live. Really was enjoying ourselves until the owners kicked them out. The hotel is in shambles, the bar is disgusting, dirty, run down. Such a shame that this quaint place is run by a bunch of out of this world freaks. A gold mine gone bad....

Room Tip: all rooms are unacceptable
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Laura F
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is very old and there is a lot of peeling paint and sagging wood. The beds were two doubles - which was pretty tight for four people. The rooms and bathrooms are decent sized and appeared clean. The beach bar had basic bar food and the location couldn't be beat. We just stayed one night in between our week in St. John and our flight home and the location near the airport was convenient. The beach is deep and a big crescent but there isn't any good snorkeling. For $130 it suited our purposes, but would not choose it for a vacation. I checked "poor" for service (no one to help unlock beach chairs & no one patrolling - seemed like a lot of locals/crazies hanging around - one man actually slept in the courtyard) and other categories - but gave it an average overall as the price (for St. John) was decent and it served our purpose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

manager gave away my booked family room to another guest that was staying 2 nights, left it to the front desk to explain it to me. Fortunatly the very nice woman, I cant remember right, Silka? Sorry if I misspelled it. Anyway she saved the hotel from getting a terrible rating. She was extremely apologetic and didn't quite understand why my reserved room had been taken from me. I asked to see the manager who did this but he was not on property.
Silka got us in to two other rooms and comped mine. She saved the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ABB166
Reviewed 20 July 2014

On a recent trip to the BVI, I had to reschedule a flight to St. Thomas, coming in at a later time (like 9:00 at night), and simply needed a place to sleep until my taxi ride to the ferry in the morning, so selected a hotel almost in the airport itself - or so it appeared on the map. Upon arrival at the airport, I asked a "customer service" (quotes are intentional) representative at the airport how to reach the hotel, and was told I could simply walk there if I wished, the hotel being "just down the road a bit". "a bit". . . . I started down the airport exit road, trailing my carry-on, until I got to the security booth at the airport entrance. When quizzed by the (very helpful!) female guard on duty, she advised me NOT to proceed alone the additional 1/2 mile (??!) down the (mostly unlit) road to the hotel at this time of night. Almost miraculously, a small sedan pulled up to the gate at that moment, piloted by an acquaintance of the guard - a young local man. The guard asked him to give me a ride to the hotel, he immediately obliged, and dropped me off at the front "desk" without a qualm, and protested when I insisted on paying him for his troubles. Silly American tourists!

Anyway, the "front desk". . . . was abandoned, but a ring on the buzzer alerted a young lady who came to the front, confirmed my reservation, handed me a key and a cold bottle of water from a nearby dispenser, suggesting that I really didn't want to drink the local water. I dragged my carry-on up a single flight of stairs to the (bare-bones) room and collapsed into bed. The accommodations were, as I suspected, basic in the extreme, and only suitable for desperate travelers (male, unaccompanied) such as myself. However, as previous reviewers have noted, an huge surprise awaited me the next morning, sadly on my way down to the waiting taxi. Check out the attached photo, caught on the run. All is forgiven.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank dhoulette
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A nice little hotel in 10 minute walking distance from the airport in St. Thomas. Spend 10$ more and take an ocean side room, it is totally worth it. Just go out of your room and be on the beach!! The restaurant seems not that nice, also we never ate there. The rooms are large and clean, but not that new. You get fresh beachtowels everyday. Very helpful front staff. The planes starting and landing are not disturbing. There is also a small shopping center in 15 minute walking distance where you can by food or have a pizza at Dominos. I would go there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
#4 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!