“Yellow Water”

Island Beachcomber Hotel
San Clemente, California
“Yellow Water”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family stayed here on Aug. 5, 2014 as a layover hotel on our way to St. John. We stayed here because it was close to the airport and on a beach, but the room was absolutely disgusting! There were rust stains on the ceiling, the sheets were damp and the water was YELLOW!! At first I thought maybe the toilet had not been flushed, but when it was still yellow after I flushed, I decided to run a test in the sink. To my disgust the sink filled with yellow water too! Needless to say, we got out of there as fast as possible.

Also, it cost us $32 to get a taxi ride from across the street (4 people & 3 bags), but for a few dollars more, you can get a ride to a better hotel 10-15 minutes away.

If you like staying in a rundown motel 6, this might be your cup of tea, but I would never let my family go near this place.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Brian C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The restaurant opened just for our party of 14 and it was terrific. Tahvia was simply wonderful to work with and even went the extra mile to rent linens in the colors I requested. She made the dinner so fun, simple and beautiful for our party. The food was delicious, the drinks were amazing, and the service/hospitality unbeatable. It rained while we were there, but eating dinner to the sound of the ocean was great.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Queens, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This place is great! I give a 5* not because of the quality of the room of the actual resort but because of the people who make you understand why like is so much more than complaining about the minor imperfections and letting you know the beyond the interior walls life exist, and people with personalities and life in their body exists! I could take 20 mins to write about all the imperfections and small things that didn't live up to my standards! But u know what I won't because all on all it was a fabulous time!!! SILKA was superb A+ service Tereaa and Shakara as well as the other male bartender the one who is originally from NY is amazing!!! Everyone was fantasy what a great team you have working for u. They surely outshines and exceeded my expectations. AGAIN IF U ARE A CHEAPSKATE AND ARE LOOKING FOR A CHEAP PLACE WITH HIGH-CLASS STANDARDS THIS IS NOT FOR U, so stop complaining and giving the place a bad wrap because it didn't meet your MARRIOTT STANDARDS. I have booked my trip for Nov. And can't wait to see you guys again ❤️❤️⛵️✈️

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I missed my connecting flight due to weather, when I got in a day later, they upgraded me to a beachfront room and pushed my reservation forward a day so I wouldn't lose any time on the island. This isn't a fancy resort, it's an older building, and it's very quiet and laid back, with a very homey feel. The entire staff was genuinely happy and friendly. The menu at the bar and cafe isn't very huge and they only serve meals at certain times throughout the day, but the food is very good. If you're looking for a five star resort, this is not the place for you, but if you want a peaceful quiet vacation on one of the nicest beaches on the island, there is no place better. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dan M
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had the great opportunity to be there and there were a couple of musicians playing live. Really was enjoying ourselves until the owners kicked them out. The hotel is in shambles, the bar is disgusting, dirty, run down. Such a shame that this quaint place is run by a bunch of out of this world freaks. A gold mine gone bad....

Room Tip: all rooms are unacceptable
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Laura F

Travellers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is very old and there is a lot of peeling paint and sagging wood. The beds were two doubles - which was pretty tight for four people. The rooms and bathrooms are decent sized and appeared clean. The beach bar had basic bar food and the location couldn't be beat. We just stayed one night in between our week in St. John and our flight home and the location near the airport was convenient. The beach is deep and a big crescent but there isn't any good snorkeling. For $130 it suited our purposes, but would not choose it for a vacation. I checked "poor" for service (no one to help unlock beach chairs & no one patrolling - seemed like a lot of locals/crazies hanging around - one man actually slept in the courtyard) and other categories - but gave it an average overall as the price (for St. John) was decent and it served our purpose.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
st louis mp
Reviewed 20 July 2014

manager gave away my booked family room to another guest that was staying 2 nights, left it to the front desk to explain it to me. Fortunatly the very nice woman, I cant remember right, Silka? Sorry if I misspelled it. Anyway she saved the hotel from getting a terrible rating. She was extremely apologetic and didn't quite understand why my reserved room had been taken from me. I asked to see the manager who did this but he was not on property.
Silka got us in to two other rooms and comped mine. She saved the day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,702 reviews
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!