“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
Island View Guest House
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed at the Island View for 10 days this past January and it was one of the best vacations of my life. Ron, Beth and the ladies that help them are wonderful. I know if I ever get to go back to the USVI I will be staying with them. My friends and I stayed in the Suite and we loved it. One of the highlights of the trip is Ron's Island famous ribeye, I would recommend eating at the restaurant which is open Thursday-Sunday nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kmarples
There are newer reviews for Island View Guest House

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I found Island View on TA and decided it would be a fabulous place to stay. I contacted the owners and received an immediate response, to which I also immediately replied, as I was ready to make a reservation. I did not hear back. After sending 3 emails and waiting 2 1/2 weeks I finally heard back. The response was "I do apologize for overlooking your email" and included the price for the stay, and that was it...very blunt considering I was still interested in the property despite the ridiculous wait.

I was told to reply with my information to start the reservation (and no other instructions about when/how to sent a deposit, etc), which I did the same day I received the email, and, alas, it has been two weeks and I have not heard back. At this point, even if I did, it makes me leery to stay at Island View.

I tried to keep an open mind, as I know people get busy and maybe the technology is slower in the USVI, but over a month to attempt to make a reservation? We are planning to travel in May, and thankfully it isn't a busy time- as IV said they had rooms available, I did not contact any other places so now I am back to searching for new accomodations for a trip less than 2 months away. We were looking for a one night reservation, so maybe that made things for difficult for the owners. Like I said, I tried to keep an open mind, but the communication was terrible.

One of the reasons I love guesthouses is that I appreciate the more personal feel you get. I am overall disappointed in the service and sad that we aren't staying at IV, as th reviews made it sound very nice!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie C
Reviewed 21 January 2013

If you like casual and making new friends, then this place is for you. It was recommended to us by local sailing school and they were spot on. This place is somewhat high up on the hill. About 5 minutes above Crown Bay Marina. Our room had a balcony with a great view and a very nice breeze. We had a/c, but never used it. Continental Breakfast every day is ok. If you stay on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, they serve dinner on the covered patio (great view also). They have a self serve bar that works on the honor system. This is a very popular aspect of this establishment. The owners, Ron and Beth are very involved in everything that goes on at Island View and they are great hosts.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, spend the extra bucks and get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed here for one week and had a wonderful experience. The owners, Ron and Beth were some of the most accomodating we've run into in all of our travels. They went out of their way to make sure we had the best stay possible. The room was clean and bathroom was newly remodeled. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The restaurant (open Thurs., Fri., and Sat. nights) was a real treat serving great steaks and a variety of other grilled items. The view from the room was mostly spectacular. The exception being the neighborhood directly below the room. This area was not attractive and fairly loud day and night (music, car horns).
The location is definately not convenient to anything accept for the airport. We had rented a car for the week so the location was not really an issue as we didn't need cabs and prefer to head out on our own each day anyway. Island View Guest House is not a fancy resort. It lacks those sort of ammenities. What is does provide, however, is a comfortable feel with gracious owners and a tremendous overall value.

Room Tip: Rm 14 had a new bathroom, nice little balcony and panoramic view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed here for three nights before going on a sailing trip around the British Virgin Islands.
The pros- clean, inexpensive rooms. Room number 4 has a very comfortable mattress with adjustable sleep numbers. Great views. Nice complementary continental breakfast. The owners Beth and Ron are super friendly and helpful. Really delicious dinner served on Thursdays thru Saturdays(extra cost). Snacks, cold drinks, and alcoholic beverages available with an honor bar system. Local beach glass jewelry available at the front desk. Friendly cats and new puppy Marly if you are missing your own pets. Clean swimming pool.
The cons- need to take a taxi to go just about anywhere( average $7-10 per trip per person), rooms number 4 and 16 have very small one person showers. Can be noisy especially the nights that dinner is served.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miatagirl10
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We just made reservations for our fifth year at Island View. We have stayed there before and after our sailing trip every year since some friends told us about it and now extend our stay in the islands just so we can spend time at Island View. We have stayed in both the poolside and balcony rooms and love each. These aren't the standard stale boxes like hotels. The rooms are very comfortable, although most guests spend more time on the veranda or by the pool. The views from the balconies and the veranda are stunning, of the harbor, the seaplane base and all those sailboats.
The veranda is our favorite place. It's a perfect blend of shade and warm breezes, with chairs for reading and tables for games or using the wi-fi, which works well. It's also a great place to meet new friends if you like. The honor bar is a fantastic luxury; it's always available without having to track down a "mixologist." Ron serves up the best steaks we've had anywhere in the continental U.S. and particularly in the islands. There are also great dinner options if you're not into good steak.
Ron and Beth make guests feel like family, whether you're on your fifth year or first day. The staff has always been friendly and capable, ready to call a taxi or give you beach recommendations. We return every year in part just because of the overall friendly atmosphere and to see Ron and Beth.
I saw three negative reviews of Island View. One leaking bathroom incident led to two of those. I sympathize with those guests, but we've never had any problem getting help from the staff when necessary. The other, negative review was very surprising. My only suggestion is that if you enjoy rooms that are antiseptic boxes ventilated only with stale air conditioning in a high-rise surrounded by three-acre pools with tiki bars, go to a resort hotel. If your preference is bored staff in livery and insulation from the surroundings, go to a resort hotel. As for the noise, this is the Caribbean, complete with the ubiquitous roosters everywhere. That's part of the charm and why people go there instead of Miami Beach or somewhere similar.
Island View is one of our favorite places and we would go there to stay [and get a steak] even if we weren't on a sailing vacation. I recommend it to all of our friends [and to anyone else going to the Virgin Islands]. All of our friends love it and repeat their visits there on trips to the islands.

Room Tip: We love the balcony rooms for the views; they're great for reading and watching the seaplanes...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We only spent one night at the Island View and it was fabulous! We arrived on St. Thomas from Tortola before noon and we were welcomed to the Island View with smiling faces that allowed us to check in very early that day. All the guests were out on day excursions which left the entire place to us. We enjoyed some down time on the veranda with an icy cold beer and then we had the pool all to ourselves! Ron and Beth checked on us several times (guess we looked a little worn out) and Ron grilled us up some hotdogs to hold us over until dinner. Dinner was fabulous! I was wishing I'd not eaten that hotdog because the steak was delicious! Did I mention it's also enormous. I would recommend the Island View to anyone, we loved the place. The people were kind, fun, and welcoming, it's like spending time at your friends house. Everyone was very welcoming. Ron and Beth - thanks for the lift to the airport; give Marley a big hug for us! - Ronnie and Michelle

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie
Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast

Been to Island View Guest House? Share your experiences!