“Jan 23rd stay”
Review of Villa Santana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
Villa Santana
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had 4 guests staying at the La Terraza. The room was clean and comfortable, it has a large kitchen, they supplied enough towels for us. It also has a small balcony with partial water views. The whole property is ran by Luisa, who is very nice. The property needs a facelift but its perfect for the rate. Property has a lot of potential. Location and views are amazing. Taxi ride down the hill to most place is $10.00 but you can walk it down. Pool area is nice, it has a bar and a bbq grill. Landscaping and grounds need TLC.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Luci S

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in La Torre during our visit in USVI. After reading all the reviews I chose La Torre anyway for its stunning view, and I still believe I made the right choice. The price range of the villa is reasonable and worth every penny of it. Pls be cautious the staircase is inappropriate for some people, but the view is worth all the efforts. The location of the villa is close to the downtown and convenient to go around.

Louisa might be the nicest person I ever met in my life who is extremely helpful. The first day when we arrive we realized we might need some groceries, but it was kinda late and dark out there, Louisa offered a ride to us and recommend some restaurants.

Louisa is so informative and knows the town so well. She gave us some amazing advice for our visit, and generously lent us the snorkeling stuff. On the day we left, unfortunately our flight got cancelled and we booked another airline in a hurry, Louisa drove us to the airport so that we could catch the flight.

We experienced some noises as mentioned in previous reviews, especially the loud music and some partiers, be sure to bring your earplug if you are like me, sensitive to sound and intolerant to any kind of noise. My husband had no problem with that at all. I didn't find the roosters were too bothering, but they do start early.

Definitely will come back to stay there again!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Minmin G
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Louisa is a lady that has been managing Villa Santana since 1978. She definitely knows her way around the Villa, and sees to it that each guest has what they need to have a good time.

On our first day there, we realized we needed some groceries (there is a small kitchen in each of the villas) and didn't yet have a rental car. Louisa was going to the grocery store and offered to take us! It was really sweet. She also invited us to join her new years eve to sample some local liquor...

We stayed in two of her Villas, and they were clean, full of natural light and furnished very nicely. It was fun to use the french press in one of them to make our morning coffee as we looked at the sunrise over the ocean...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ndeals16
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Villa Santana Apr 30 - May 9. We stayed in the La Piedra Suite. It was perfect for us and the bed was comfortable. Ms. Luisa is such a sweet woman and we hit it off right away. We were the only people staying at VS for the majority of the time. If we needed anything Luisa was more than happy to help. The pool was glorious and clean and just the right touch for any time power lounging. At the pool area there is Wifi too! If you are used to being catered to, don't stay here. It was the perfect little slice of heaven for us and we will stay at VS again. Thank you Luisa
Sarah and Charles Fletcher Minneapolis MN

Room Tip: We loved the La Piedra Suite. La Torre is good for younger then 40 or 50(very tight spiral staircas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tawie_mpls
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We arrived in St. Thomas without a hotel reservation - we'd hopped on a plane from NYC and thought we'd deal with it when we arrived. I'd grabbed a couple guide books on our way out of town. We decided Villa Santana was our first choice in town as it was featured in Frommers as a place to stay.

When we arrived we called the hotel and Luisa, the owner answered. She was helpful and casual and told us to call back when we were on our way and she'd meet us at the gate.

Our cab took us up the winding narrow streets to the Villa which sits on the gorgeously landscaped hillside above Charlotte Amalie.

Luisa met us at the gate and gave us our pick of rooms. We chose La Torre as it had a stunning view of the bay. And I mean STUNNING. Waking up to that blue water immediately drained all the NYC out of me! The apartment is two stories and has a narrow spiral staircase to the top floor. It was fine for us but might be cumbersome for someone older. The kitchen was adequately stocked and the towels/sheets were clean. The room is decorated as one would expect for a beach town, with simple yet comfotrable furnishings (some paintings by Luisa herself) and airconditioning.

She gave us a tour of the property and told us of it's history they are building a large beautiful patio above the pool (but it wasn't noisy) which will be lovely when complete. Along the way we met one of her sons and they picked up the ripe mangos that had just fallen from the trees and gave them to us to eat. We sat by the small but elegant pool and watched the sun set over the water. Luisa gave us directions in to town, warning us that it wasn't safe to walk about town at night but fine in the day (we felt as NY'ers that we could handle it, but she's right, after dark, a cab is your better choice). As other reviewers have said, the trail down to town is STEEP. We managed to walk up and down every day but it is not for the weak. Walking anywhere in town, expect to encounter steep narrow streets and watch out for cars.

We did experience the noise that other reviewers mentioned - the roosters are out of control and do crow very early. The people noise didn't bother me as I live in a city, but the birds were problematic - I imagine you here them at any hotel as they are everywhere in town.

In the morning, we had more mangos and she told us to blend it with milk and ice (and we added rum of course) for an amazing mango drink. She gave us the ice and milk and joined us out in the gazebo for a while to chat. She also gave me some sunblock as I'd left mine at home. She's a character and was the perfect host.

After a day of sightseeing we returned to the hotel and met Luisa's other son and his wife who gave us a great restaurant recommendation (Oceana in Frenchtown). They were lovely people.

The atmosphere is comfortable, not intrusive and just about as pretty as things can get. The room was affordable and it was great to have a kitchen.

My only 2 complaints were the wasp nests outside our patio door which often prevented us from coming out the side entrance, and the lack of soap in the bathroom. I didn't even mention these things to Luisa and if I had, I'm sure they'd have been taken care of immediately.

All in all, I'd stay here again. We opted to stay two nights only as we wanted beach time as well, but for an in town stay, this is the place to be!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mollymeg1970
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at Villa Santana on the first night of our honeymoon, on our way to the British Virgin Islands. It was nice enough, but it wasn't incredibly clean and was more geared towards business travelers and solo travelers than couples. We stayed in La Torre, which was a really cool looking room, but the skinny, spiral staircase got old even in just 24-hours. The surrounding area was really loud - we could hear screaming partiers from the surrounding area, loud music and roosters crowing. We didn't get tons of sleep because of the noise. Overall, the grounds of the hotel were nice and the view from the room was pretty but we wouldn't stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Local16RJ
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I've stayed at Villa Santana twice and love it. It has a sweeping view overlooking Charlotte Amalie city, the beautiful harbor, Hassle & Water Islands. I stayed in La Torre which is best for singles. Its not the most quiet spot (roosters crowing all night), but it is unmatched in perspective. You can see cruise ships coming and going and Seaplanes taking off and landing several times a day. The only place that is better is the Governor's mansion which is directly above Villa Santana. If you are in good shape, the walk down the hill to downtown is very quick and puts you right in the middle of the city's shopping district. (The walk back up the hill is very steep.)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie
Midtown Guest House
Midtown Guest House
#12 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Villa Santana? Share your experiences!