“I didn't want to leave!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
Miller Manor Guest House
Reviewed 10 March 2008

I couldn't have picked a better place to stay. I primarily made my choice based on the reviews I read on here, and the fact that this was the best priced guest house to stay at on the island. What people have said about the hosts couldn't be more true; Harry, Marge, Sara and Blaze could not have been more friendly, helpful and all around gracious. It only took me a few hours to forget what day it was once I got there. The views were amazing, so much so that I had a hard time peeling myself away from them every morning to go and do something around the island. I really couldn't have asked for anything more. I stayed one night in a standard room which had more than enough space, and three in a basic room whos bathroom was just across the hall. Both rooms were plenty ample, and comfortable. They have several cats and a dog which makes the atmosphere just that much more relaxing, for me at least. They helped me get a discount to go sailboat racing, which is actually an experience which has changed my life! Overall, the best vacation I have ever had; and I will be going back ASAP!!! You would not be wrong in choosing this guest house, I promise you won't be disappointed!!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Miller Manor Guest House

Reviewed 3 March 2008

We spent a total of three nights in two different premium rooms at the beginning and end of our trip. Both had comfy beds, nice furnishings, harbor views and a constant refreshing ocean breeze through our east-facing windows. No A/C was necessary. The property is accurately portrayed on the web site and our hosts were very nice people who were consistently pleasant and responsive.

Unfortunately Charlotte Amolie is unsafe and neighborhoods change quickly from block to block. While certainly convenient to downtown's numerous shops and restaurants, to reach them at night you must call a cab or walk down one of two stairways, neither of which feels completely safe. One, wide and well-lit, usually had at least one man at the bottom intoxicated to some degree, sometimes during the day, usually at night. The other, while reasonably lit, is narrow and long with a landing, half of which can't be seen from either above or below. We heard angry men yelling regularly from that general direction. We were warned while walking home one evening that we were going into a bad neighborhood. However he thought we were going to the block ahead when in fact we were turning left and up the stairway.

We are pretty seasoned travelers but she none-the-less felt unsafe on several occasions. We never had a problem except when briefly taking a photo in a bad area which we passed through while returning from our late afternoon walking tour. A tall angry man stepped in front of us yelling to be careful where we took pictures that we could lose our camera. He was definitely trying to intimidate us after hearing others yell the same from a distance. We kept walking. Next time we'll explore in the morning before the riff-raff get's up.

It is a city. Along with the amenities and conveniences you can expect some of the usual noise – sporadic sirens, car alarms, glass-pack mufflers, the occasional jet as well as regular sea planes, church bells and ironically, crowing roosters. None of this was a problem except the church bells waking us at 7:00 am. Watching the sea planes land and take off as well as the evening little league game on the lit ball field below were both interesting. We particularly enjoyed the self-guided 22-site historic walking tour on http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stthomas/attractions/attraction_town.php.

Unfortunately Miller Manor struggles to keep up with a few maintenance items, like some inoperable metal storm shades. It is, after all, a VERY old building. But then we don't go for five-star hotels so a few minor inconveniences don't bother us. By and large the property and our rooms were adequate though we're afraid maintenance may be getting to be too much for them. The wireless network was not reliably available and had to be rebooted several times.

Though there are a few long-term residents we feel it's better suited for a night or two in conjunction with your arrival/depature. Simply exercise good judgment when venturing out and you'll avoid problems. Saturday's they order pizza so we ate in the night before leaving.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RedHare
Reviewed 9 January 2008

We are very late getting this review in. But, our stay was nothing short of wonderful. And since our stay we have received emails and cards from our new friends at Miller Manor.

From the point of arrival in St. Thomas when Harry picked us up we felt right at home. The entry and gardens are inviting but very secure. We were given great rooms with lots of space, comfortable beds, balconies, and they were very clean. We especially enjoyed the company of local young professionals who would offer suggestions for eating, shopping, and entertainment. We took several up on offers of joining them at their local hangouts for an afternoon and evening of fun.

Breakfast was great and I'm sure if we had stayed for dinner we would have enjoyed that as well.

The Miller Manor may not be for everyone because it is not "high-rise new". This quaint B&B has charm, history, and warmth.

I can't say enough about our experience with the Miller Manor.

Andy and Ahna, Greg and Debbie

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank HoosierRasta
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Had a pleasant three-night sojurn at Miller Manor, and the thing that stood out was the friendliness and helpfulness of the hosts, a retired couple originally from the Midwest (although they claim they are far from retired operating this hotel!). There are actually a number of people who reside here long-term, giving it a family-like atmosphere.

The room was clean and quite adequate for our needs. Location is close to town, but could be a bit challenging to find if you are not taking a taxi. Recommend you locate it on a map before you leave. Very nice view of harbor from patio. Breakfast and bar items available at a reasonable cost. Only downside we saw was that no housekeeping services were provided (beds made, new towels) during our three-day stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linfor1
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Absolutely loved it!!! My husband and I stayed at Miller Manor for a week in early February of 2007 and were extremely pleased with the accommodations. Miller Manor has an incredible view of the harbour at Charlotte Amalie. Its historic hillside location gives an unparalleled view of the cruise ships, of the many, many sailboats and of one of the most picturesque natural harbours in the world.

Harry and Marj, managers of the hotel, are very efficient and friendly. They have an insider’s knowledge of the best beaches and restaurants on the island. In addition, they have a good understanding of the local customs of one of the Caribbean’s most popular destinations. Harry and Marj really take the time to make visitors feel welcome and relaxed. After stateside careers in teaching and construction of all sorts, they have many experiences to share but also understand the role of hosts of a manor very well.

The 1850’s manor is a study in faded glory. There are spacious common rooms, several decks and quiet garden areas and a lovely terrace with a well-stocked honour bar. There are two internet access computers available free of charge in a spacious former dining room that has huge plantation style louvered windows and lovely furnishings. Those who love to read will enjoy the wide variety of magazines and books that are in bookcases all over the property. It is a tough decision as to whether to get out and enjoy the island or curl up with a great book, a cool beverage, and just relax. Guests gather in the evening to share anecdotes or just quietly sip a cocktail while taking in the breathtaking view. There are a number of long stay guests who are well-travelled, polite and fun loving. The whole atmosphere is relaxing and comfortable.

We stayed in a deluxe room with a private balcony with again, a drop dead view of the harbour. However, we enjoyed the company of the other guests so much on the main terrace that we didn’t use our private balcony as much as we would have expected. The king size bed, satellite television, telephone, large bathroom, mini refrigerator, microwave and air conditioning unit were all very clean and in good working order. The whole property is well kept and filled with gorgeous tropical plants and flowers. Harry and Marj are constantly fixing, polishing and upgrading all parts of the manor.

Our breakfast was included in our room rate and what a breakfast it was! Excellent omelettes, toast, bacon, juice, and lots of great coffee were made to order whenever we arose. The best though were the banana pancakes made from bananas growing on the property and ripening on the terrace! It doesn’t get any fresher than that. Dinner was available on a sign up basis several times per week.

There is a lot of walking involved to get to the Miller Manor but taxis are plentiful. The hotel is small (18 rooms) but huge in terms of historical interest and relaxed ambiance in a tropical paradise. Staying at Miller Manor felt more like visiting as a houseguest at a friend’s home in the Caribbean than a hotel stay. Yet opportunities for privacy abound.

Public buses (safari bus) are available on the waterfront which is a short walk down the hillside from Miller Manor. We enjoyed going to several beaches around the island (Sapphire beach, Emerald beach, Secret Harbour beach) and also took the ferry to St. John’s to enjoy the magnificent Trunk Bay beach. We also toured the island including the old Anneberg sugar plantation and lunch at Skinny Legs restaurant at Coral Bay. St. John is unbelievable gorgeous and a very nice day trip. Our favourite beach on St. Thomas was Emerald beach and it is conveniently close to Miller Manor.

My husband and I flew to San Juan, Puerto Rico and then the next day flew by Cape Air over to St. Thomas. Our return flight connections enabled us to return to Saskatoon all in one day.

Children would be welcome at Miller Manor but it is more suited to adults. A quiet relaxed atmosphere prevails at Miller Manor in a Caribbean paradise!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JohnBeth
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Miller Manor can be your home away from home. I just returned from an 8 day stay during Carnival. I did not know what to expect but I was quite happy. Harry, Marge and Jim these are the most wonderful "spirits" you want to meet.
I loved my room, even though it took a few days for my legs to get used to it because I was on the lower level and the steps are steep but I made it through. I had a wondeful view of the harbor from my balcony. My room had a dining room table 2 chairs, kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator , sink and very well equipped with all the neccessities. Shower (no bath tub).
Full sized bed, ceiling fan and a/c.
The location is ok during the day, but for sure a taxi at nite, the hills are a little to much at nite.
Marge is a wonderful cook, the breakfast is great and very afforadable. They work on a honor system so each day you tally in what you ate for breakfast (thats the only meal served, except for Wednesday when they have dinner that you sign up for on Tuesdays) and all your drinks. I thought it was really wonderul.
There are many cats on the premises and a dog, so if you have an allergy or dislike animals re-consider, but if you want to meet so wonderful people from all around the world and great location Miller Manor is the spot!

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank Thinkingwoman
Reviewed 17 April 2007

This was one of the best places I have ever stayed. One entire wall of my room was made of old brick which gave the room a very historical feel to it. Up stairs they have a very nice patio where you can eat a delicious breakfast every morning while you look out at the Beautiful view of the harbor. The great staff of M/M treats you like your one of their own. The placement of the hotel couldn't be better your about five minutes away from great shopping and historical sites. It is also very close to the taxi stops that will take you anywhere on the island for only two dollars. Not to mention that you can walk about seven or eight minutes and you can catch a ferry to St. Johns or find great restaurants in French Town. Then when your ready to take a load off for the rest of the night you can relax on the patio which has a fantastic honor bar with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. So you can just sit back relax and watch the beautiful cruise ships leaving port and sea planes taking off and landing. I personally wouldn't hesitate about staying at M/M agian I believe it is the best deal on the island you get a beautiful view a nice clean historical room for a very low cost which allows you to spend more money on the many other attractions on the islands.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family