“Caribbean twist on some old favorites”
Review of Chez Le Caribe - CLOSED

Chez Le Caribe
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant is tucked up on the hill inside the corner of Kongens Gade and Kommandants Gade in Charlotte Amalie. It reopened only 3 weeks ago.
Reviewed 27 June 2012

When we first heard that Herve, one of our favorite St Thomas restaurants, had closed, we were very disappointed. But when we discovered that Herve's executive chef had now taken ownership of this property, we decided to give it a try. We are very glad that we did. We were especially pleased to see one of our old favorite salads, the Wilted Spinach Salad, on the menu. The salad now features some rum in the dressing. It was delicious! I loved the Caribbean flavors. My entree was another of my favorites from the old menu, the Seafood Veloute. The sauce now features curry and coconut in the sauce. I liked it even better than the original version of the recipe.

As for the service, we found the servers to be relaxed, but very attentive. Our waiter was a lot of fun.

I am overjoyed that one of my old favorite restaurants now has a new life and is one of my new favorite restaurants in St Thomas.

1  Thank IguanaGirl

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We are foodies and make a point to visit top rated restaurants on every trip. We obsessed over the menu for an hour before making our reservation. We were not disappointed. The wilted spinach salad started us off on the right foot with great presentation and amazing flavor. We followed with the garlic welch which pleased us so that the two of us decided to order three entrees to split. I will say we are amazed and will revisit on our next trip.

1  Thank Nishae
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Food was pretty good, but the place is on the expensive side. Chose here because it was close to where I was staying.

2  Thank Claude S
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The staff was polite and courteous. I had the duck salad which I thought was greasy and overly fatty. My companion had the steak which was delicious.

1  Thank drtouny
Reviewed 29 May 2012

After the grueling climb up 97 steps to our hotel for the night, the five of us in our party did not want to have to go back down into town for dinner only to have to climb the steps again. Chez Le Caribe won our dinner reservations by default merely by the fact that it was on the same level as our inn. That ended up being OUR good fortune. I have not had such an extraordinary meal in years....many years. The presentation on the plate was exceptional....the food absolutely incredible. And dessert....oh my gosh....melt-in-your mouth delicious. What a find to have stumbled upon this amazing restaurant with an amazing view. I look forward to returning.

1  Thank CAP1953