“Casual, friendly, great location and customer focused”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
The Green Iguana Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 April 2011

More like staying with friends than staying at a tourist hotel. If you are active and enjoy choosing your own pleasures this is good place for you. If you want full service, pool, bar and restaurant this is not for you.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank okeydok

Reviewed 25 March 2011

I was in Green Iguana for only 2 nights as I sailed away after that -much too short time to learn much about the island of St Thomas. I can definitely recommend the hotel to any peace and comfort loving person. The rooms are very clean, the beds are very comfortable and location is good although if you do not have a car you need to be a little fit to walk up all the steps up from the downtown.
I enjoyed my "up the steps" walks and I enjoyed my stay in Green Iguana.
Pentti

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DesignerPentti
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Pack your hiking shoes and your sense of adventure! You'll be climbing more than 99 steps to get to this sweet boutique hotel with the nicest hosts I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
I love the hotel. It's the right mix of quirky and charming. Nothing cookie-cutter about The Green Iguana.
Bill and Susie are fantastic, very caring and knowledgable. Count on them for suggestions for things to do during your stay.
Look for Igor the iguana. He will make an appearance in the afternoon.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank traveljunky88
Reviewed 25 February 2011

The hotel managers were said to be gracious and very helpful - we did not find that to be the case. In fact, the husband of the husband/wife team was downright rude. There was not really enjoyable outdoor sitting area, the location was said to be dangerous after dark, the air conditioner roared, the furnishings were outdated, etc, etc. Fortunately, we were only there for two nights. I had picked the place for my husband and I and another couple we were traveling with - I was embarrassed that it was so bad.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CHTraveler27
seasidesusie, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2011

These guests wrote a vindictive review. We had to ask them to leave.

Reviewed 12 February 2011

HIGHLY RECOMMEND! A husband and wife Susie and Bill own and operate this hotel. Both were helpful, but we happened to check in while Susie was there and she did an amazing job of getting us situated and giving us directions and suggestions on where to go in st. thomas to walk around and then have dinner. she even accompanied the directions with photos. when i realized i left one of my bags in the taxi, she gave me the number of the taxi dispatch to call and try to get it back. when i got back from dinner that night it had been returned to the hotel and she took care of getting it into my room and tipping the driver for bringing it back. what service! this could have been lost forever.
Our room was clean and a good price. There are some security concerns in st. thomas but we felt very safe at this hotel as they had cameras and multiple locked doors between the main entrance and the individual guest entrances. this hotel is a good location, not too far from the airport, walking distance to food, shops & the ferry.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jvanliere
Reviewed 7 February 2011

After an extended search for rooms for my wife, myself and a couple we travel with, we decided to stay at the Green Iguana. We stayed for two nights, then went on a sailing week and then stayed one more night before we flew back home. The couple who own and manage the business are two very good and personable individuals. The rooms were very clean, spacious, colorful and the beds comfortable to sleep in. I would not say they were of a class of 5 star but everything we desired. Great view, everything we needed, clean and working properly. There is a beautiful walk thru plants and scenery to town, takes approximately 15 minutes if you don't spend time taking pictures. The rooms are totally enclosed for privacy and protection. After we left, we realized we left a map of the Virgin Islands and without saying a word, a couple of days later, Coach and his wife mailed this back to us. I totally recommend this place for accommodations, the view, the staff and the comfort.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveAlderman777
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I frequent the VI on short business trips (which I then extend into longer leisure trips), and I've never stayed in a place on St. Thomas that I liked as much as the Green Iguana.

Bill and Susie are incredibly nice and gracious hosts. They will go out of their way to help you with anything you need, and to make you feel welcomed. I can't say enough good things about them.

As far as the hotel itself, the rooms are modest, but fully functional. My room had everything I wanted - a nice king-size bed, AC, a microwave, coffee maker, mini fridge, satellite TV, high-speed wifi internet (some of the best Internet I've had at a hotel in the VI, by the way), closet, ironing board and iron, a nice shower, balcony with a nice view, etc.

Some of the reviews mention that it's not in the nicest area on the island. It's true that this hotel is in town. It's not sitting out on the oceanfront like the Marriott or the Wyndham, but you're also not paying $500 a night! What I'll say is that as long as you have a car or can call a taxi, you'll have no trouble getting to the hotel at night, and during the day, you can walk the streets without worrying. And the property itself is very secure. Not once did I feel threatened during my 4-night stay.

Overall, the Green Iguana is a great value, in my opinion. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want to be right on the ocean in a resort setting, this is not the hotel for you. But if you're like me, and paying 1/4 of the price to still be about 7-8 minutes from awesome beaches, and still get a great room with awesome owners who really care...then this is definitely your place. I'll be coming back to the Green Iguana for sure. :)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
#1 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Green Iguana Hotel? Share your experiences!