“The Best Hotel -- Easy, Friendly, Extremely Clean, and Just Fun”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
The Green Iguana Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We were searching on the internet for a local (non-resort) hotel in St. Thomas -- that was close to downtown and found the Green Iguana on Trip Advisor. The Innkeepers -- Suzy and Bill-- extremely helpful and always available -- when we needed something or more information. I believe all rooms have views of harbor and are away from downtown--just up the 99 steps!! Igor--the resident iguana--greeted us when we arrived. The hotel is in a large garden and is a very romantic location.

Visited the Blackbeards Inn--which is just adjacent to the Green Iguana. Had great Pina Coladas and wonderful hot dogs--and was attended to by Lester the bartender extraordinare, who knows St. Thomas inside and out.

This is an excellent value.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NAMcc

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Tom and I have stayed here 2 years in a row. Suzie and Bill are great people and will do anything to make your stay a wondeful vacation. The rooms are nice and we like being close to downtown to have fun. A pool is available right next door with bar and snacks. It so adorable!!

Room Tip: Rooms have balcony overlooking the town and ocean
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tomdebHastings
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We only stayed here one night and it was by accident. We had booked Blackbeard's Castle next door but when we arrived there was no room due to a booking error. The Green Iguana provided us with a very large, clean (no smells of any kind unlike another reviewer), comfortable room, with a wonderful view. I notice that a different reviewer complained about the price. The room here was exactly the same price as Blackbeard's Castle with a nicer room. The price is expensive, but in line with other accommodation on the island. The managers were very helpful providing us with recommendations for restaurants and taxis. I would say the only slight downside to staying here is for those who aren't renting a car. The walk back to the hotel from anywhere in town is fairly long and uphill. My wife and I would certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Razzle2
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Beautifully appointed, immaculate grounds, delightful managers who were well organized and very helpful. Clean linens plentiful, views fantastic, location superb. But if you prefer "fragrance free," eco-conscious, or are remotely chemically sensitive, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. We are STILL re-washing clothes and daily airing out luggage, trying to get rid of the perfumed pesticides.

Very hard to rate this hotel........5 stars, except for it's fatal flaw which makes it completely unacceptable for us.

Room Tip: A6 has best view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sachasamovar
seasidesusie, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

This is an amazing review. They love us and the place- then they slap us in the face! They told us nothing about their "pesticide" concerns while they were here or when they were leaving. We use only Terminix service for our pest control. That Company uses only EPA approved products. We accompany them as they do their monthly service. Careful room perimeter and exterior hand pump spray. There is no aerosol spraying of pesticides in any rooms. We have no idea what they were smelling!!?? If any future guests have a sensitivity problem, please advise us at booking and we will special wash your sheets and remove all comforters and shams from your room. As an aside, if you look at all other reviews, no one complains about us having bugs. All our rooms have screens.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Dear lesnjak - I am amazed at the review you wrote about The Green Iguana in St Thomas. I'm not sure what you were looking for, but I have stayed there 3 times and loved every minute of my stay. I thought I'd respond to your comments................
Number 1 - you say that you booked a room with a balcony and that the place wasn't crowded and you didn't get what you wanted......... having stayed there 3 times, I know that if the room wasn't already occupied the management would have seen to your request. Assuming that the room was occupied, what would you have them do, kick the other person out to accommodate you?
Number 2 - You say the wireless internet didn't work. Did you bother to let the management know? Unless they walk around to every room, every day, how are they supposed to know unless the guest tells them there is a problem?
Number 3 - You say you paid way to much for what you got. Did you check any other places? I found that The Green Iguana was very fairly priced for what I was looking for. Granted, I stayed for a week, but I found in my research that most hotels on the island won't even take one night stands. Do you feel entitled to special privileges?
I'm guessing by your comments that you ended up staying in H4. Well, I also have stayed in H4 when I traveled with a friend in 2009 and I've attached pictures to refute your negative comments. I personally think that for the price, you got MORE than you should have. Have a nice vacation the next time you travel, I know I will and it'll probably be at The Green Iguana.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank St_Thomas_Lover
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Booked what we thought would be a balcony room overlooking the city and wound up with only a picture window. Hotel wasn't even crowded, they just didn't take the time to get the room we were supposed to have ready. Wireless internet did not work either. Paid way too much for what we got on our one-night stay.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel or resort
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank lesnjak
Karin-Matt, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2011

Dear Disappointed:
Sometimes our guests cannot have the room requested! It is clearly stated on our confirmation and initial response page, "Single Night Stays are not Guaranteed in the room requested". Many hotels on the island do not allow single night stays.
We have only one balcony room that would accommodate 4 Guests. Unfortunately, this room was being occupied by other guests and not available for your one night stay!
Your two email requests said, "We would consider the single room (H4) with two beds, if available"! Yes, this room was available for your party of 4 guests. You chose to have "one room" for 4 guests with a rate of $139.50 (tax included) per couple.
Yes, other single bed rooms were available, but they will only accommodate 2 guests each and at a higher rate!
We were not aware the Wireless Internet was not working in H-4. It works in all other rooms and in the Common areas. So thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will try to correct it for future guests:)

Reviewed 15 April 2011

The Green Iguana is a great hotel within walking distance to downtown Charlotte Amalie but sits high on a high for incredible panoramic views-
There are a variety of room styles to fit every kind of group from families to individual business travelers. The rooms are clean and well maintained.
Best of all, Bill & Susie are the most friendly and helpful hotel managers you will ever meet.
All in all, a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Just ask
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
#1 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Green Iguana Hotel? Share your experiences!