The Green Iguana Hotel
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$242
US$197
US$164
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
US$361
US$266
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$158
US$185
  • Pool
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort(South Coast)(Great Value!)
US$328
US$213
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Pool
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsblackbeard's castleone nightst thomassmall hotelsailing tripgreat hostshill overlookingshort walka great place to stayvirgin islandsboutique hotelfull kitchentaxi serviceclose to downtownferry dockbeautiful viewgwen
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I stayed in late March for one night at The Green Iguana, in room H1. Arriving later in the evening, I was personally met at the door by one of the onsite resident managers, Bill, who pleasantly guided me through “check in”, gave information about the hotel as well as the room’s operation and features. While not spacious, the room was certainly more than adequately comfortable for one person and provided a reasonably sized bathroom (shower only), adjoining dressing table, and the bed and small seating area abutted the balcony. The balcony was very nice with an additional seating area affording a panoramic view of Charlotte Amalie.

The room’s furnishings were simple but functional, and satellite TV and Wi-Fi service was included.

The property itself is nestled into the side of a hill adjacent to Blackbeard’s Castle. It has both a tropical feel and look with lush, local foliage embracing you in the common areas. There are lizards and iguanas running about, which adds to the experience. I did not observe any unwelcome insects or other four legged guests; the location is very quiet – well, except for early morning when the roosters throughout the valley provide their wake-up call ritual. Again, this adds to the experience of this kind of locale and needs to be taken in that spirit. The room’s a/c operated fine – yes, it can be a little noisy but it is an a/c unit afterall – and I did try to get by with use of the ceiling fan only (I finally relented when the humidity got the better of me).

While there are no eating establishments on-site or close by (that I was aware of), the resident co-managers did provide food and beverage options for drinks and snacks out of the office. Bill and his partner, Susie, are extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful; they really do add to your stay’s enjoyment. The Green Iguana’s location by Blackbeard’s Castle makes it easy to access the “99 Steps” that take you into town without too much difficulty. The return trip up is a greater challenge but with a little patience and perseverance, can be accomplished with a small investment of sweat equity. Great exercise.

The room rates are very reasonable – relative to other hotels and resorts on the island, and I would not hesitate for a moment to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank beenthereseenthat
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I don't travel very often so when I do, I look for the GREAT out of the way places to stay but I also like quality. THE GREEN IGUANA HOTEL definitely met and exceeded my expectations. Susie and Bill were the most hospitable managers and made the stay all the more enjoyable. I had an absolutely wonderful trip and would go back in a heartbeat and stay at the Green Iguana.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank St_Thomas_Lover
Reviewed 25 March 2010

The Green Iguana embodies the vibe of the Caribbean; relaxation and enjoyment, with amazing hosts (Bill and Susie) who are willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay unforgettable.

We recently traveled to St. Thomas to get married on the beach at Brewer’s Bay. Originally we had planned to stay 7 nights at a resort. My husband and I decided to extend our trip and we needed to find a hotel for the extra days. We found the Green Iguana through a search of the Internet, and decided to stay at the hotel for three days at the beginning of our trip, and three days at the end.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were welcomed by the resident managers, Bill and Susie. They were very kind and helpful. Both of them had plenty of ideas for activities and suggestions for restaurants. Bill and Susie went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed, and were available to answer any questions we had throughout the duration of our stay.

This quaint nine room hotel is centrally located in Charlotte Amalie. It is close to many restaurants and a short drive to the various beaches on the island. The Green Iguana Hotel offers clean, comfortable rooms that are very inviting. There is a public area with chairs, a picnic table, and a gas grill with utensils available for loan from the office. The tropical plants and flowers at the hotel are beautiful, abundant, and well maintained. This hotel is a hidden gem with very affordable rates.

We highly recommend The Green Iguana. In fact, my husband and I are planning a trip back to St. Thomas to stay at the Green Iguana Hotel to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. Kudos Bill and Susie!! Thank you for the outstanding hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJ_STTVI
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have never written a review before and have had amazing stays in other places. This trip wouldn't have been half as amazing had it not been for BIll and Susie (owners of the property) The rooms were so clean daily by the time we came back, the property felt really safe as well, Very easy accessibility to the town, amazing suggestions by them, always ready to help anytime.They were really caring and it felt like an extension of my family in USVI, considering we were only two girls traveling it was so safe. :)
Totally recommend them, amazing people :)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveller263
Reviewed 14 March 2010

We stayed at the Green Iguana before travelling on to St. John. As previously mentioned by some travellers, this place is absolutely clean. However, the rooms are VERY dated and need some attention. The motor of the small refigerator in our room constantly made noise and kept me awake at night. The air conditioner was loud and the motor continually cycled off and on. If noise doesn't bother you this may be a good value. The deck outside our room was comfortable ( decent furniture!) and there was a good view of Cruz Bay. Despite what some have written, one of the Resident Managers was surly! You decide. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JGandCG
thegreeniguana, Co-Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2010

These review is unreasonably negative. Our refrigerators are late models. If one puts in several warm articles, i.e. water bottles, sodas, etc. , the refrigerator will run constantly. First complaint we've had.
Air conditioners are designed to cycle on and off to maintain a constant temperature. If a guest tries to turn the thermostat to 69 degrees to cool the room "faster", it will run and cycle a lot. We are in the Tropics!
They forgot to mention that Manager Susie gave them all kinds of helpful tips on restaurants and attractions, loaned a beverage cooler, beach towels and gave coupons that saved them money. Manager Bill offered beach chairs, gave travel directions in his "business-like" manner(surly?) when asked. We offer value in a clean environment (which the two ladies agree)-if we spend money on expensive remodeling and frills, the rates must go up. Please read the reviews on our website for more accurate pictures of our hotel rooms. Thank you