“Top notch B&B in St. Thomas”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
Bellavista Bed & Breakfast
Merrimack, New Hampshire
“Top notch B&B in St. Thomas”
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed at Bellavista in Oct 2008 in the Palm Tree Melee room. Wendy made us feel welcome, pampered and relaxed from the moment our taxi pulled up to the gate. The house is beautiful, restful and spotless. You will be drawn out to the garden/patio/pool area that overlooks the town and harbor. If you're lucky you'll find the hammock up in the garden and enjoy the flowering trees overhead that draw hummingbirds into view. You'll be treated to a breakfast that is both delicious and beautiful. Wendy couldn't be a more gracious hostess. There are so many little touches that make the place inviting, warm and comfortable. If you make your way to her website you'll see pictures and that is exactly what it's like.

We stayed in the smallest room and it was very comfortable for us. It is probably not well-suited for larger folks or if you travel with a lot of luggage. We saw all the other rooms and they looked comfortable and offered more space if you need it. Each one was beautifully and creatively decorated and have I mentioned...pristinely cared for?

The B&B is a few streets up the hill from Charlotte Amalie. It's an easy 5 minute walk down to the shops and restaurants. This is the port that hosts the cruise ships, so there isn't much nightlife in this area as the cruise crowd heads back aboard around 4-5 pm. You'll need to head to other areas of the island in the evening.

We were only in St. Thomas for a couple of days as we spent most of our week over on St. John. Don't miss the opportunity to ferry over and see that amazing island. On St. Thomas, we enjoyed a day at Magen's Bay - quiet and laidback and Coki Bay - fun and quirky. But staying at the Bellavista will be my fondest memory of St. Thomas.

• Liked — warm, comfortable, inviting, great breakfast, wonderful host
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
pa
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Although we were not that crazy about St Thomas - too commercialized, our stay with Wendy and Doug was top notch. We really enjoyed everything about their accomodations. Even though we had the smallest room, it was perfect. Wendy is immaculate and extremely helpful in anything a guest may need. Her breaksfasts are also exquisite to eat and look at!

• Liked — The property itself and the views are so fabulous
  • Disliked — The Island itself
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Fredericksburg Va
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Well I must say that we have thought long and hard about writing this review and I must say that it can all be summed up in four words. The Bellavista is Perfection! We enoyed ourselves so much in Wendy's company that we have already booked another week to bring along our family. They've grown tired of our stories and wanted to experience Wendy's charming home for themselves. Every possible detail has been thought of for you. She is such a wonderful hostess and excellent Chef! We look forward to many visits in the future. Thomas, our local cab driver provided a wonderful sense of the Island throught his own eyes. Our entire trip was wonderful...until we had to leave this little slice of Paradise.

• Liked — The Hostess
  • Disliked — The Hike up the hill....
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, nY
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Every heartfelt review on here is completely true about Wendy & Bellavista! Wendy is a sincerely sweet person. She makes you feel so welcomed. She does everything- cleans, cooks, helps you with plans. Wendy has created an amazing, beautiful bed & breakfast. Staying at Bellavista truly made our Wedding/Honeymoon (and my birthday) a million times more special. You have to see it and meet her to believe it!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We felt fortunate to stay at Wendy's beautiful B&B before she hit the big-time. Shortly before we checked in, Wendy was featured on the Today show and she told us that she had gotten hundreds of emails after Al Roker mentioned her banana waffles (which I can personally say were amazing)! This B&B is everything the other reviewers say... beautiful, clean, comfortable, quiet, and better than any hotel in St. Thomas.

We stayed in the Coquille Collage room. The room had a canopy bed with a nice mattress and soft sheets. There is a ceiling fan, as well as A/C, so the temperature was great. The room is also furnished with a large closet, a full-length mirror, a desk, a small dresser, and three lamps. The bathroom is spacious with a large tub. (I believe this is the only room with a tub-- the other three only have showers.) The bathroom overlooks the harbor. There was a door to the balcony at the front of the house. One thing I will note which is not obvious from the website is that this balcony is shared with the entire front of the house-- in other words, the balcony is not private. This means that you can't leave the door open at night and other guests might be hanging out in the chairs on the balcony outside your room.

We had the B&B to ourselves one day, so Wendy gave us a tour of the other three rooms. The Bambooshay Room is amazing, and if you are here for a honeymoon, I would splurge on it. It had a huge bed, three closets, a large bathroom, and a private balcony that spanned the whole length of the room. The J'Overt Garden Room was smaller than it looks online and I did not see a closet, but it did have a very pretty bathroom and a little patio out back. I would imagine that this room would be quieter at night than the rooms that overlook the harbor, just because you would not get all the harbor noises of boats coming in and out, etc. The Palm Tree Melee Room was simple (but still nice) and represents accurately on line.

One other tip-- rent a car! We went back and forth on this and were sooo thankful that in the end we decided to rent one. The B&B is a hike from town, and at night I would not feel safe walking back. The cabs in St. Thomas are basically pick-up trucks with benches in the back, and they pick up multiple passengers and make multiple stops, so if you rely on the cabs, you are going to spend a lot of time running around to other hotels. Also, there are some beautiful "out of the way" beaches on St. Thomas (which Wendy can recommend) but you would not be able to get to them without a car-- the cabs might drop you off, but there would not be a cab in sight when you were ready to return. Driving in St. Thomas is an adventure-- narrow roads, drive on the wrong side, etc. but we found the roads to be well marked and didn't have any problems.

Overall, this B&B is a little slice of paradise. I would recommend it without hesitation. (We also ate at the Old Stone Farmhouse one night-- which is worth a splurge-- amazing food!)

• Liked — Wendy-- simply the best hostess ever!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArlingtonCCC
Chicago
Reviewed 3 March 2008

I’m hesitant to post this review because it will certainly impede my chances of securing this extraordinary place for next February. When my Sister first suggested we go to St. Thomas, I was intrigued and excited. Then she said “we’re staying at a bed and breakfast”. It immediately conjured up horrific memories of my last stay at a B&B, but, I reluctantly agreed to go. And, I’m pleased to say, I made one of my best vacation decisions - Bellavista is the equivalent of a 5 star hotel in a B&B body.

Previous posters have raved about Wendy’s hospitality; they are not deluding you. From the moment you step down into Bellavista, you are spoiled. Firstly, you are a greeted by a lovely woman with impeccable grace and a huge propensity to please – from dining suggestions to Island excursions, Wendy will be your concierge extraordinaire! Secondly, you will be forever dreaming of the delicious breakfasts: pomegranate, strawberry and lime frappes to start, fresh fruit courses with strawberries, melons, papaya, blackberries, and kiwi. Feta and spinach quiche, waffles with yogurt berry dressing, french toast and more all accompanied with different breakfast meats and muffins. Wendy will ask you about your dietary needs or restrictions, and modify your meal accordingly. My Brother in Law hates eggs – Wendy made an egg less quiche just for him.

The rooms are spectacular and spotless. I stayed in the Coquille Collage and my Sister and BIL in the Bambooshay. Each room is charmingly adorned with décor befitting its name; mine had a wonderful canopy bed, complete with coverlet and shams in a soft blue sea shell motif. The Bambooshay is the largest room, replete with Island inspired bed coverings. All rooms have a private bath with toiletries hand crafted in the Virgin Islands. And, all have a mini-fridge, TV and air-conditioning. I would recommend using the AC at night – the roosters (yes, roosters) are a little noisy and you’ll sleep like a baby with it on. Did I mention spotless? I’m a stickler for cleanliness – almost obsessively so – and everything was immaculate.

The common rooms are equally inviting. The living room has comfortable couches, many, many books, and a wall of doors that open to let in the Island breeze. We didn’t spend much time inside the Villa, preferring instead to be outside by the pool and enjoying the view of Charlotte Amalie. Unbelievable view – day or night. Yes, let me get to the pool – fantastic. Brightly tiled in shades of blue, with a lion’s head spouting water! If you’re a sun worshiper like me, you’ll enjoy tanning on the chaise lounges and then taking a dip – all while enjoying the view!

This review would not be complete without mentioning the resident animals. Mocha is Wendy’s puppy and Latte, her cat. Mocha has it rather good at Bellavista; her days are spent following Wendy to and fro, chasing lizards, picking leaves from the pool, and otherwise Living the Life of Riley. She’s a sweet, sweet dog. Latte, being a cat, is quite absent. Wendy brought her down to see us, and we shared a few affectionate moments by the pool.

As for restaurants, I would highly recommend The Old Stone Farmhouse - Ric is an amazing chef, and Jackie an equally amazing hostess with extraordinary people skills. All palates will be satisfied from the diverse menu. However, if you have a finicky eater, like my BIL, let Jackie know and they will surely whip up something to accommodate, as they did with him. Other restaurants on my return list would be Hook Line & Sinker (in Frenchtown) and Molly Malone’s (in Red Hook) if you don’t mind the rather large and bold iguanas meandering about – often under your table.

For excursions, we sailed over to St. John with New Horizons on their daytime snorkeling charter. The crew was great, lunch was great, and the snorkeling was adequate. There were too many charters in the areas we stopped, so, although I did see a stingray, I saw more fellow snorkelers than fish. But, as I said, the crew was great, the sail over and back was magnificent, the water a sapphire blue and the drinks were pretty good as well, especially the “Painkiller”. Rent a car – preferably a Jeep – you can explore more of the Island. Remember to drive on the left – left shoulder to left shoulder! Taxis are expensive, but if you need to take one, Wendy has a list of some really friendly drivers.

As for shopping, we stopped at A. H. Riise on Main Street – perfect for perfumes (I wear a brand that’s often difficult to find – they had it) and liquor. I wouldn’t shop anywhere else for these items – the prices were extremely discounted compared to the States.

This was the FIRST vacation that I honestly didn’t want to go home. All travelers know the feeling when enough revelry was had – not so with Wendy’s place. If it wasn’t for my dogs at home in Chicago, I would have stayed 2 months – I’m serious – it’s that spectacular. Check out my photos and see what I mean.

• Liked — Wendy, she's the best.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank misscohen
Northwest Indiana
Reviewed 1 March 2008

Wendy is the best! Our flight from Miami was almost 3 hours late, yet Wendy was waiting and welcomed us to her beautiful villa.
The setting was as wonderful as pictured on her website, and our room, the Bambooshay, was charming! We spent 6 nights in this paradise, and we will definately return!
Wendy is the ultimate hostess, along with Mocha (her Springer Spaniel) and Latte (her cat). We did not see much of Latte but when she did make an appearance she was beautiful. Mocha is a sweet girl and so well behaved.
The breakfasts are a work of art! The first course is presented with island style-fruit artistically arranged, with fresh fruit frappes. The second course was equally tempting; banana waffles, french toast and ham and swiss egg rolls, to name a few!

St. Thomas is a busy port and I would recommend shopping on a slow cruise ship day. We went when only 1 ship was in port and the streets were much more manageable. We rented a car, and my husband did a great job driving on the left. It can be a challenge at times but we were able to explore the island on our own time by renting a car. Magen's Bay and Sapphire Beach are very nice beach areas. You should also consider a ferry or sail trip to St. John to experience the beaches there. We took a sailing cruise on New Horizons and had a great time! Wonderful staff, wonderful food and drinks.

We shopped at the Yacht Haven Grande and ate outside at the Fat Turtle. The snapper sandwich was great. We also spent the day at Red Hook and enjoyed the shops. Molly Malone's was a neat place, and the food was good, but beware of the resident iguanas. If you do not like them, stay away, as they come right up to your table.

The Old Stone Farmhouse is a must! Friendly people and the food is awesome! We had a wonderful time there!

We had a great vacation and I would recommend Bellavista highly!
Wendy pays such attention to detail . When you retire for the evening your bed is turned down with fresh flowers.
A wonderful end to a wonderful day!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Windward Passage Hotel
Windward Passage Hotel
#7 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn
At Home In The Tropics Bed and B...
#1 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bellavista Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!