“Just like everyone says: Outstanding B&B!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
“Just like everyone says: Outstanding B&B!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've been meaning to write a review ever since my wife and I spent a few days at At Home In The Tropics last November with my mother and father. It was an incredibly charming place, with a great location, a wonderful view, beautiful rooms, and some of the most gracious and welcoming hosts we've ever met. And yes, just like everyone says, the breakfasts were to die for! Honestly, At Home In The Tropics set the bar so high I don't think anyone else will ever beat it. Pam, Matt, our time with you will never be forgetten. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sincerely, John.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Look: Flat out, this is the best place to stay on St. Thomas. I read all about the hotels on this island last year (2013) and didn't find one I liked at a price I liked. Then, I read about the B&B's and bingo, there we were, over Christmas, room number one. What a terrific spot. We didn't have to leave. My wife and I were curious, of course, about the island and wandered around a bit, but by the last couple of days we realized even more that we should stay right At Home in the Tropics. Mam and Patt, er, Pam and Matt take the best care of their guests. They serve delicious breakfasts. A tidy, comfortably furnished porch catches the tropical breezes and looks out over the harbor. A tastefully furnished lounge with "quiet" music sits behind the porch and there you can find an honor bar and a well stocked library. At the other end of the B&B is a pool with both a covered and an uncovered deck. This IS the place to stay on St. Thomas.

Room Tip: Rooms one and two are breezier.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aWriter2011
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend have been to the B&B last spring break. I was looking for a cozy and intimate place to spend a romantic week in the view of proposing to her. The place is just amazing!!! Starting from Pam and Matt, they are incredible hosts and chefs. In 7 days we never had the same type of breakfast. The facility is just superlative. An ancient mansion in the heart of the city, with breathtaking views, an incredible attention to details and quiet and romantic atmosphere. It has been the scenario of our engagement and we both are looking forward to come back.

Francesco & Rachele

Room Tip: Most romantic place in town
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dantest
Montreal
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

There are so many superlatives I could use to describe our stay with Pam and Matt, that I want to apologize if I forget anything. We stayed with them for 3 nights after a 10-day bareboat charter in the BVIs, and we couldn't have dreamed of a better way to finish our vacation with our friends. Their hospitality is second to none, and the B&B is so cute, cozy, airy, comforting, inviting, spotless, every single detail has been thought of to make their guests feel AT HOME, like the name says. Pam greeted us with a nice tour of the place, making sure we knew everything to have the best experience possible. The view is spectacular from wherever you are. The pool area is wonderful, with lounge chairs in the sun and others under the canopy if it's too hot or if you get a few sprinkles, with a nice mini-fridge for each room under the covered bar-patio area, where you can make drinks, use the microwave or blender, nice thick towels are available right there, it is just perfect! We were 2 couples and had rooms 1 and 2, they are identical and really comfortable with a nice patio area accessible from the room overlooking the harbour. Pam and Matt have thought of every single detail: they have menus of many restaurants they recommend in Charlotte-Amalie, maps, books, they have tea, coffee, snacks, a telescope to gaze at the stars at night, they offer great advice and answer all your questions, they are the perfect hosts. Breakfast was heavenly every single morning! Great coffee brewing as of 7 a.m., and since we are early birds Pam and Matt had breakfast ready for us at 8 a.m. The table was nicely set up in the open air dining room facing the harbour, we had fresh fruit, a selection of juices, homebaked scones, lemon bread, asparagus-cheese omelet, brocoli-omelet, french toast made with french baguette stuffed with passion fruit and topped with maple syrup, bacon (not all of these items on the same day!), and everything was sooooo tasty, fresh, plentiful, prepared by Pam and served by Matt. Even the dishes and the placemats match the soothing colors of the decor, it's amazing! After our dinners at various restaurants, we were glad to come back "home" for a cup of tea and a chat taking in the superb view in the comfort of the inn. The beds were comfy with lots of pillows, linens and rooms were clean, vegetation and flowers on the property are really nice. Location was perfect to visit many places and go strolling by the ocean and through the shops and flea market. The hike back up the 100 steps after a heavy meal at night is a bit of an effort, but you've got to burn off those calories somehow! We strongly recommend the restaurant at Blackbeard's Castle just a few minutes up from the inn for their service, food and the view. All 4 of us loved our time At Home in The Tropics with Pam and Matt, and we will definitely be back, couldn't even think of going anywhere else when we return to St-Thomas, nothing can top that! THANK YOU from Claude, Marc, Sonia & Benoit, your friends from Canada.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Avid_travelling_duo
Palm Desert, California, United States
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our visit was February 10, 2014.......The B&B was to be a two night stay before heading off to Tortola. Due to the airlines "snafu" we only were able to have one night at the "At Home In The Tropics" but what a day, evening, night and breakfast morning. Pam you r the grease that makes this B & B slide a long. The room was delightful, the pool area great, the balcony to our room was wonderful, the views OUTSTANDING and the honesty bar and refreshment area was may I say refreshing. Pam your service and attentiveness was Top Notch. For those who are headed to St Thomas or those headed thru St. Thomas to Islands beyond, you will not be disappointed if you make the "At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn" your choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I only spent two nights here, and it was a wonderful and delightful experience. Pam and Matt are friendly, genuine folks. It is obvious that they love what they do and care very much about their guests. They have great pride of ownership in this wonderful B & B, and it shows in every little detail. I loved my time here, and wish I could have stayed longer. I enjoyed interacting with the other guests here (I was traveling alone, but I sure didn't feel alone). All I can say is AMAZING. Thank You Matt and Pam. I have never had a better breakfast anywhere!

Room Tip: All the rooms are extremely clean and wonderful
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Naples, FL
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Would have loved to stay a month!! Traveling with another couple, we were very happy with At Home in the Tropics. Amazing views. Comfortable rooms. Soothing breezes. We lounged by the pool, and on the terrace. Walking the steps home after dinner helped to "work off" the meals in town too!

Room Tip: All rooms have beautiful views!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Olga's Fancy
Olga's Fancy
#4 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!