“Nice White & Blue B & B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Nice enough B&B. Rooms small with super large beds. Shutters to windows must be shut as other guests would be able to see you easily. No memorable views from the room. Very nice pool and deck area. Required to pay for soda or crackers! Pleasant hosts and helpful. Honestly, this B&B is overpriced compared to similar accommodation I'm the area.?

• Stayed: February 2010
2  Thank dwelsh5
athomeusvi, Owner at At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2011

I want to start by thanking everyone who has written a Trip Advisor review for our B&B and for all other accommodations out there. It is an invaluable tool for people planning a vacation and it helps especially us little providers to be on the map. I always consult Trip Advisor when Matt and I take a vacation too.
I find this Trip Advisor review to be a real departure from the reviews of our other guests, and not only because the reviewer waited a year to post it.
I would like to take this opportunity to speak to some of the items raised. First of all, I am sorry this reviewer did not realize that the packaged snacks we offer our guests are free of charge along with individual brew coffee and a wide assortment of teas. I do mention the availability of the complimentary snacks in my introductory tour of the property and it is noted in the notebook on the snack table along with the password for the wireless internet and the honor bar note pad. This year the complimentary snacks are also noted in the property guides we leave in each guest room, so I doubt anyone else will be making that mistake.
With regard to the views of the harbor and various other views around the property, there are many captioned photos on our website to provide illustration. Included are views to harbor side from each of the guestrooms. Our Trip Advisor reviewers have also provided photos of the property for you to examine.
As to the size and layout of the guest rooms, we like to think we have done an artful and creative job outfitting rooms that were originally built in 1803 when St. Thomas was a Danish colony and adapting them to modern use. However, it is a historic building and will never be laid out perfectly for us modern travelers. We hope the way we have added modern conveniences while trying not to be intrusive is part of the charm.
We want to apologize on behalf of the Virgin Islands for the fact that we live with occasional power outages. The VI Water and Power Authority is struggling to keep older equipment repaired and must occasionally go down to fix things. That is why, even though we are not a big hotel, we opted to provide a whole house generator so that our guests would not be inconvenienced.
I am sorry that this reviewer found our B&B to be too expensive. Like all small accommodations, we try to keep our prices as modest as possible while charging enough to remain in business. There is one thing that may help. This fall we offered a “Fall Special” in which if you stay four nights you get the fifth night free. It was so well received that we decided to offer it for the entire low season (May 1 – August 1 and November 1 to December 15). Anyone who has booked a five day stay from May 1 forward has already received their free day. It will be a permanent part of the website soon.
Finally, cleanliness and location are two of our hallmarks, so there is not much I can add about that. Hopefully the cleanliness will stay up to our standards and the location will continue to delight our guests. Service, I find, is in the eye of the beholder. We try to provide every assistance to our guests in their mission to have a great and memorable vacation and hope all of our guests feel truly welcome and comfortable spreading out on the property and making it their own special place.

Best wishes to all in the New Year.
Pam Eckstein, Innkeeper
At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn

Reviewed 9 January 2011

This is a great B and B in a great location. Easy and safe walk to downtown. The breakfast was good and the rooms nicely appointed. The shower opened into the bedroom which was a little awkward but not a huge issue. The common areas were nicely appointed. Also there is a generator for when the power goes out which is a fairly frequent occurrence from what I understand. Each room has its own small fridge in the pool area.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank BKH5555
Reviewed 14 December 2010

My wife and I stayed with Pam and Matt at Home in the Tropics last week. I cannot be more impressed with every aspect of the B&B. From the personal greeting upon checkout, to the last moment there we were treated as members of the family. The rooms were great. We had room #1 which shares a private deck with #2 and had amazing views of the port. There was plenty of storage space, hangers, etc... Pam made awesome breakfast every morning..I mean amazing.

There is always available coffee via Keurig, water, snacks, and a honor bar if you needed drinks. They provide maps, restaurant recommendations, and are happy to answer any questions you might have. We even got to help decorate the Christmas tree!

The grounds were perfect. There is a deep pool and a nice deck area with plenty of chairs that provide a sunset view unlike no other. Each room is given a fridge by the pool to store any beverages you might want. A highlight for me was sitting by the pool at night.

Location was perfect a short walk to the middle of Charlotte Amalie (down some steps) but cabs were readily available if you dont want to walk.

We chose At Home in the Tropics because of all of the reviews on Tripadvisor. I thought something must be "up" for a location to have this many 5 star reviews. That's not the case, Pam and Matt are that good! The B&B is truly fantastic. Cant wait to be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjfarr1
Reviewed 29 July 2010

If you are one who loves a view, great food, and great service, then At Home in the Topics is the place to stay during your stay in St Thomas, VI.

Pam and Matt are two of the most friendly and professional people you could ever meet. From first introductions to final good byes your stay will feel special.

As far as the upkeep of our room and the property I have no complaints at all. Clean towels, freshly made beds, and daily cleaning will give you a peace of mind as you take a cool shower before snuggling down after a long day of snorkeling or site seeing.

Overall, an A+ in my book. I will definitely return to this hidden gem in the years to come.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dancrowder
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I have stayed here five times, sometimes for business and sometimes for pleasure. I have never had any kind of negative experience. The hosts are accommodating, knowledgeable, and very pleasant. I'm not very interested in breakfasts usually, but the excellent dishes that Pam prepares always get my full attention. The view from the balcony is one of the best in St. Thomas, the common rooms and bed rooms are spotless and immaculate. For most, it is within easy walking distance of the downtown and many attractions. I can only praise this gem of a B & B. The only qualifications I would add are these: the location might not be right for anyone who has difficulty in climbing stairs and parking might be difficult. As for the former, the location is near the top of Blackbeard's Hill (hence its lovely views of the harbor). I haven't rented a car on St. Thomas, so I'm not sure about what the parking possibilities might be. It would be worth an inquiry.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I'm so glad to have found this historic and charming gem perfectly located on Government Hill easy walking distance to everything in Charlotte Amalie. Superbly run, comfortable, and with a great view, pool, great breakfasts, and charming hosts.

1  Thank Tom of Orlando
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Perfect location, perfect relaxation, perfect view, delicious breakfast, cute and quaint rooms. Pam is kind and caring and the cleanliness is exceptional. Walk to all downtown sites and plenty of eating options. Not beachside but plenty of touring options and activities.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!