Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Pool
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
View Hotel
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
1,476 results
All reviewsjohn buildingtortola buildingbedroom villasea urchinsthe pool beach areamarriott hotel next doorst thomasfull kitchenjost van dykegourmet gallerymarriott timesharereef hotelwasher and dryerwater shoesrented a cartrunk baytime share
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We are Marriott time share owners. We own at St. Kitts and in Orlando

This is a very nice property. Was much cleaner and better run than the Marriott next door. Rooms are typical Marriott timeshare. Clean and comfortable. If you sign up ahead of time, you can save 50% on your daily tidy fee.

The pool is small but adequate. Never had much trouble getting a lounger with umbrella. Plenty of chairs with/ without umbrellas on beach. Pretty family friendly. Nobody got too out of hand while we were there. Nice to be able to bring your own drinks/ snacks down. Best deal is to get a refillable cup for $16. You can go in gift shop and get your diet coke and then squirt some rum in it and relax by the pool.

Beach is nice. Sand is soft. My wife had some problems with biting insects one day, but then she started to rub gin on her legs and bites stopped? There is coral right at the entrance that can hurt your feet. I would recommend swim shoes as I saw hundreds of sea urchins. There is some OK Snorkeling off to the right of the beach. It is fun to jump off the dock a few times, and they had some big things in the water to play/ relax on.

Onsite restaurant was decent. Typical poolside Marriott fare. Did have happy ours every day. Drinks quite potent. Weekly night buffet/ show was decent. Breakfast buffet with all you can drink bloody mary's was good way to get one or two days going.

We had a high room in an upper building. Next time we would request a high room by a lower down building, to minimize trips on elevators. If you do many excursions or aren't on property much, I do not think it matters. We did have a good view.

We did rent a car. We like to be able to get stuff and explore a little. Driving was better than most caribbean islands, even if its on the left. If you are not used to being a little scared, skip the car and use taxis. Roads are narrow and curvy. There is a grocery store about 5min away, along with numerous cruise ship shops.

There many options of things to do. We did a half day sail on the Fury and saw sea turtles. We snorkled at various places. We did some bars and restaurants. The best day was a powerboat trip that left from Redhook. We did St. John's and BVI's. It was on Sonic Charters. From what I remember it was a great day.

This was a couples trip with some friends. This would be a great place to bring kids. Next time we will bring our boys....

Room Tip: Would recommend a high room in building close to pool to get a good view and minimize elevator rides....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JAH-HCL
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel is just pure awesomeness, you have a private beach, 4 restaurants on the beach, gym, pools, bars, a 2 restaurants in the hotel, a deli, anything you can imagine for a hotel they have it, it was a great trip and this hotel was just a bonus, you can free shuttles come pick you up and drive you down to the restaurants and lounge on the beach. i will definitely be staying here again the next time I go to St.Thomas.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank andreaurrutia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Had a great time at the resort. Fairly clean beach so, so. The best thing about the location is that it is easily accessible to the Marriott hotel. Best view on the island. If I had one recommendation it would be careful driving. Accidents galore! People on the island do everything slow except drive!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank James A
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Although there have been many negative changes on St Thomas over the years including crime, traffic, lack of good public maintena to name a few... This property is beautiful. The location is simply paradise. Beautiful scenery. Just love it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cruiselover1963
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Hello from St. Thomas!

I would have loved to have known half of this prior to starting my vacation. For all the future travels, please read this and I hope it will be helpful.

AT&T is usable down here without getting crazy charges but not Verizon.

Rent a jeep! Stay left and blow your horn frequently! Driving is no joke on the island and the roads are sharp and curvy but it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Reserve early! Try to rent with Avis if possible and avoid Hertz. Reason being is that Hertz is the only car rental that does not allow their cars to go on the ferry over to St. John which is a major bummer if you want to visit the surrounding islands/amenities.

The iguanas! Beware! They are harmless but MY GOD there are SO MANY!!! They are like opossums and squirrels in the states. They will dart out in front of you out of no where and scare the crap out of you and then go on about their day. Hahaha!

Rum is ridiculously cheap! We bought 3 or 4 different flavors of Cruzan rum for 10-15$ a bottle. Can't go wrong!

Sand Fleas! You won't feel them at first but they will itch later. Bring mosquito/bug spray and use it frequently.

There is a grey cat with weird green eyes that hangs out at the timeshare by the pool and bar. She doesn't look the best but she is so sweet and I fed her whenever I could since she looked very thin. She is completely harmless. I am just a push over when it comes to the animals.

The vegetation here is breathtaking! I love all the Palm Majesties, Banana Trees, Sea Grape Trees, Heliconia Stricta... I could go on and on!

The day we were going to go over to the British Virgin Islands and Soggy Dollar a tropical storm decided to hang out for about a day and a half so we never got a chance to make it but if you guys can schedule it in, please go for me! I heard the beaches in the BVI are even better than the USVI. Baths, St. John, Tortola etc will require a passport as well as the airport here so DO NOT FORGET IT as customs will require you to have it.

Magen's Bay is a must! Spend the day there. Very beautiful waters and there is a little bar with snacks as well. If you snorkel you will more than likely see sea turtles and sting rays hanging out on the bottom of the ocean. My boyfriends cousin was able to get a bunch of footage with his go-pro! Oh and it's pretty much free other than parking. Skip paying top dollar to go on a sea turtle excursion and just do it at Magen's Bay at your own leisure.

The hotel side of Marriott is much nicer than the timeshare side. I wonder if the hotel was built first and then they later decided to add on the time share side or if it use to be something other than a Marriott. The spa is well worth it. (Also at the hotel) We did an 80 minute therapeutic couples massage and loved it. Also, you can use the spa pool until 9 PM the day of your service which is nice because there are cabanas and the spa pool is secluded away from the main pools. The pool at the hotel is nice as well and there is more of a usable beach at the hotel side than at the timeshare side. The timeshare side pool and beach is nice but the hotel side seemed much more happening.

Timeshare side: happy hour is from 4-6 and 8-9. Double fist! Who cares?!? You're on vacation! Oh... Frequent power outages and their generator is very iffy. Major downfall. While we waited for a shuttle to go to the hotel to eat dinner (since they had power) I overheard some of the staff telling guests that the power outages were a result of "island life" and did not show any sign of sympathy. Stock your fridge for breakfast, lunches and alcohol or you will quickly see your bill rack up. You will probably have a meeting with a personal concierge. They are somewhat helpful. They will definitely give you pointers on places to eat and good shopping. Go visit George at House of Rajah for great deals on diamonds! He does sell some knock offs but overall has great deals and will take care of you.

Groceries: We went to Food Center and Gourmet Gallery (the nicer of the two is Gourmet Gallery) also I think you get 5% off your bill at Gourmet Gallery. Your personal concierge will give you a blue card that will give you access to the multiple discounts.

Wednesday from 5:30-10pm for 5$ you can ride Skyride to Paradise Point (it's like a tram to the top of the mountain with amazing views and great photo opportunities) and there is a restaurant at the top that is not great but is convenient.

Food: Mim's is a local spot tucked away behind a residential apartment complex that overlooks the beach and is to die for! We ate there twice and loved it both times! My boyfriend and cousin had the surf and turf and I had the king crab legs both times... AMAZING! Also, one of the waitresses recommended a place at Mafolie's Hotel that has really good local food but we never got a chance to check it out.

Coco Joe's which is at the Marriott Cove (hotel side) is average, not bad, but Mim's is way better. Sunset Grill is the restaurant by the main pool at the hotel and is pretty good. Mim's is still better. (I just can't say enough) I would say Sunset Grill is perfect for a quiet lunch with great views. We never ate there for dinner so maybe dinner is the better route to take. You'll have to let me know! I did however have a drink called Sparkling Lemonade (I'm pretty sure that's the name) but it was very yummy and refreshing!

Down at Red Hook there are some cool bars and restaurants. We ate a spot called Tap and Still which has a cool vibe and isn't far from Señor Frogs and tons of local and domestic beer choices.

We were suppose to leave today, August 24, but since we fly stand by and being that the flight was over sold we didn't make it out and ended up getting a night at a place called Bluebeard's Castle and it ended up being nice! We made it here just in time for happy hour and ate dinner at their restaurant called Cabana Bar and everything from the fried pickles and Thai ginger wings to ahi tuna burger and chef burger was delicious. Oh and the view of the city and ocean is spectacular and to top it off there was a piano player here as well that played and sang while we ate dinner. Another cool thing about this place was that the chef literally cooks everything right behind the bar. Very neat!

I wish Marriott's personal concierge did more like this prior to arrival. It would have helped tremendously. Yes, they are there to answer questions once you meet with them initially but they aren't this in-depth.

• Stayed: August 2014