“Most wonderful views from the Cove”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Chicago, Illinois
“Most wonderful views from the Cove”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

Traded into the Cove from my timeshare in Orlando, Marriott Grande Vista. Flight got in at 1:30.
Time to change your attitude. Smile and be friendly if you are not normally. It will actually make you feel better and make the locals be friendly back. Always say good morning, afternoon, etc...
Rented a car from Thrify/Budget, $269 for one week.Toyota corrolla, somewhat beat up. No problem. You will notice that most cars have body damage. We only forgot to drive on the left two times. There are signs around island reminding you to stay on the left. I almost didn't rent but glad I did. It depends if you just want to stay at the resort and venture out a few times. If you like adventure and going off the main path, rent a jeep...about $100 more costly. Got lost. My boyfriend gets lost going to the grocery store at home. Was in rush hour traffic through town with ships in port...slow. Arrived at resort at 3:00.
Check in was FAST. Probably was there less than 10 minutes. One customer was talking rather loudly...her room was not ready but it was one hour before actual check in. My room was ready. The beautiful sweet check in lady asked me to step out on the balcony. Wow what a view. She gave me my keys and map and told me a thing or two about the resort. I am not sure what she said, I kept looking at the view.
We drove down the hill to find a garage. There are a lot of tandem garages under the rooms that can fit two cars, if you have two cars in your group. You can also park on the side of the road, but it is cooler in the garages. Never had a problem getting a spot. This is a timeshare, so timeshare travelers know what to expect.
Was in the St.John building, it is on the top and one of the newest. Gorgeous view out the window. Two balconies. Everything was new, beautiful decoration.
Was anything broke? Coffee pot didn't work, but they did bring us another one. Did not see any bugs in the condo. Lots of room.
Got a phone call asking when the concierge can come and talk about things to do on the island. I realized this has something to do with the timeshare preview, but I am a timeshare owner and this doesn't bother me. I made an appointment. Michael came to our condo. Anything you wanted to know, maps, restaurants, ferrys, he knew about and drew on the map to show you how to get there. After a while he asked politely if we wanted to take the timeshare tour. I wasn't in the market so I declined. He was friendly and said to contact him if we changed our mind.
The week went fast. Took the car ferry from Red Hook to St. John. Hit all the beaches, most beautiful in the world. There was only a few streets we didn't go down because I don't think the Toyota would have make it...steep. Not easy finding a place to park in town, St. John. If you want to just walk around town, easier to take the pedestrian ferry.
Drove around the island,,,got lost again. Stopped to ask for directions. Street signs are few and far between. Cows and horses standing along the road in the hills.
Back in St. Thomas. Liked the fact that you could use the facilites at Marriott Reef and Morningstar. Went in all the pools, used Morningstar beach. Also went to the beach at the Cove. No problems. Have snorkel equipment handy if you like that sort of thing. We had a blast on the water slide. Not many people in the pool and slide in the evening. Not bad in the day either. Didn't see a lot of people working at the cove. We like it that way. No lifeguard. No problem. Watch your kids. The one restaurant was good.
We went to the grocery store and I made meals. I don't mind cooking and they have grills we used a few times. The pizza at Pizza amore in Havensight was awesome. $20 for a large. Shipwreck tavern, near there had good burgers...I think Friday was there specials night. Hooters wasn't very good. Wikked at Yacht Haven Grande (sp) was good. Weekday happy hour...$2 tacos and wings. Watch the cruise ships close up from there. There was some garbage around the island, but it's an island. Where do they put it? If an area looks scary, stay away from it. Red Hook area is hoppin. Don't drive at night if you can help it. Dark.
Kids there were having fun with the waterslide and they had a kids club. Activities every day. Not always posted daily in the elevators like at other Marriott timeshares, but you get the schedule at check in. One elevator was out for days. Just use the other elevator. No problem. If you are handicapped, this is not the place for you. Lots of walking, climbing and steep areas. I lost weight this vacation. Took the path to the hotel. That was an adventure. The shuttle bus works fine. As far as customer service, I never encountered any problems, but I don't realy ask for much. Don't miss the waterfall at the Reef. It is by the helipad near the tennis courts. My fiance liked the weather and area so much, he actually got a good job in St. Thomas while we were there. What a salesman! A few weeks later, gone...temporarily not forever. He's havin a great time and an adventure. Have fun. Don't worry, be happy. I will be back to visit later in the summer. I couldn't live there. Not many choices. I'd get island fever. No problem. :-)
Ask for Rocky to give you the Marriott Frenchmans Cove timeshare tour, starting in Aug.09. Tell him pb sent you. Thank you.

4 Thank pb1333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
texas14
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I own a Marriott timeshare in another location. We wanted to go to the beach so we chose the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. We had a wonderful time and the hotel was very nice. The beach restaurant was very good as well. The only negatives were that the beach at the hotel was somewhat small and we had to walk aways from our room to the pool/beach. The pool was beautiful and the location of the hotel was good as well. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank texas14
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

We had a great time here. We went in March of 2008 and again in 2009. It's a beautiful facility, and not to contradict anyone else's experience, but we found the staff to be very helpful and polite. The Island has many beautiful beaches and a one day trip to St. John is highly recommended, if you've rented a car. We always do as we like to beach hop. All in all a really really good time.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank davidrose313
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Having been a Marriott Vacation Club owner for many years, we have stayed at numerous Marriott Club resorts and have come to expect high quality facilities and exceptional service. Although the facilties and the unit specifically were great, the service and staff competency levels were so under par they cast a dark cloud on the whole experience. In comparable terms, the service levels were comparable to a Motel 6. e.g. No information was provided to us upon checkin. There was no welcome packet, no information about the resort or surrounding area at all. The first day we arrived we discovered the toaster wasn't working and it took three days and a visit to the property manager to get it replaced. The elevators in our building didn't work for the 1st 3 days and we were forced to use the stairs, we were on the 3rd level. To compound that problem there were animal feces on the stairs that took almost a week to be removed. Quite discusting but gives you an idea about the basic service level. In the elevators they had posted information about activities and asked to call a certain number to make reservations, after calling the number for two separate events, no one answered and did not call back after I left a message each time. When I went to the checkin in order to ask for the property manager relating to several of these issues, the clerks at the desk tried to address the problem without giving me access to the property manager. Since they were part of the issues I wanted to complain about, I was stuck waiting for 20 minutes and was finally able to communicate the issues resulting in at least getting the toaster replaced. Although we were interested in a review of ownership at this property, no one ever approached us to attend a preview. Again, just a lack of customer relationship training, not up to Marriott's standards. Lastly, the pool was beautiful, but the beach area is extremely small and literally almost unusable due to rocks, coral, and undersea plant that was sharp and pointy. You need to go to the Marriott hotel for a satisfactory beach experience.

Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

The villas in this resort are beautiful, kitchens have everything you need, beautiful countertops, stainless steel appliances...the works. Bedrooms open up to the ocean with two balconies for 2 bedrooms and a living room with everything you need. I had a wonderful time, pool was nice, beach was nice plus you had access to the other resorts amenities. I definitely would want to go back to this resort...and you cannot compare this to the frenchmans reef hotel which needs a major renovation of the building. These are brand new villas and i could not add anything else to them. My only down fall was the service and the restaurants. The only restuarant on site was a small lunch bar that charged $18 for a burger and it would arrive 40 min later...not my idea of service or worth the $$. If you wanted to go out the taxis cost makes you wonder if it was worth it and eveyrthing is pretty far. I wanted to try Havana Blue at the other marriott hotel but never got a chance...but it looked amazing from a distance. Definitely check out the mountain top one night where you get on a lift to take you up...eat dinner there..and they have a wonderful happy hour that makes it worth it and cheap! you would never guess the neatest place on the island has the cheapest food and drinks! All in all..my best trip to st. thomas so far...been twice...want to go again!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank just2eazy4me
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

We are a timeshare owner at the Frechman's Cove, so we used our week to spend the first week at the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove . My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young children), and my wife's sisters and one of their husband stayed in Room 244. This is a 2 bdrm condo on the 4th floor of 2nd building (Virgin Gorda) with a direct view of the giant infinity pool and the channel that leads into Charlotte Amalie harbor. What an amazing view. My brother-in-law literally dropped his bag and didn't move from the entrance when he saw the view from the entry way.

OK - i need to get this off my chest. Like some other reviewers, I also noticed reviews about Marriott's Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star resort on this property. Not the same and no comparison. Frenchman's Cove wins hands down! Enough said!

Our unit was 2 + 2 unit with a living room with a modern pullout softbed (soft...not for adults), a dining table with 6 chairs, and a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, full oven and all the pots/pans, plates, utensils, and knives. Also has coffee maker (but not the filter nor coffee or sugar packets), a washing machine and tumble drier (but no detergent or fabric softner), 3 good sized flatscreen TVs (32" TVs in bedrooms and 36" in the living room) and with DVD players. Each room has a balcony, with the balcony off the master bedroom is large enough for 8 adults. The rooms were so well insulated, so when I closed the doors, you dont hear anything outside! Which was great for sleeping in!

The master bathroom has a tub and vanity and a door separates the toilet and the full shower. The second bathroom has a full vanity, a toilet, and a tub with shower. There was a small bottle of shampoo and soaps in each of the bathrooms but no conditioners.

Airconditioning is centrally controlled and works great. Sometimes too good since each of the rooms have a ceiling fan, so my wife had to keep borrowing my fleece jacket.

There were enough towels to go around, but for pool towels, they inventory the towels - apparently past guests were packing towels when they were checking out.

Currently, the Frenchman's Cove only has 4 buildings for occupancy, and I was told that the next building will be ready by end of 2009. That will be named "Tortola". I noticed that all the building were named after the nearby islands, such as Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, etc. Because the resort is situated on a steep hillside, there are a lot of steps. So when the elevator is not working due to the lightning storm we had one night, the only way to get to the pool and to the beach was climbing up and down the stairs. No problem for us, especially our kids - aged 6 and 7 - preferred to use the stairs.

The pool is a large rectangular pool and half of it has the infinity pool feature so that you can look into the bay. Even though there were a lot of people there the first week of June, I never felt it was overcrowded or had a difficult time finding empty chaise by the pool. The pool also features a small water slide (two turns and you are in the pool) for kids next to the kids area. Kids and some adults enjoyed the water slide. The pool was warm! I am not used to the warm pool water, so I had to go in the bay to "cool" down!

Checkin - smooth. The front desk staff was exceptionally efficient, friendly and helpful. My entire checkin process was less than 5 minutes.

Housekeeping - this is not a regular hotel which provides daily room cleaning. So if you want the room cleaned or trash picked up, you have to schedule it with the housekeeping and you have to pay extra. $35 for a full cleaning and $25 for tidy service (trash pickup, replace towels, etc.).

Restaurant - At this point, there's only the Sunset Cove Grill next to the pool. They have a full bar, a good menu (but not extensive), and at night time, there is a variety of entertainment depending on the week - live band or karaoke!

Fitness center - a really well appointed gym is on the second floor of the restaurant. It's clean, 4 full treadmills, weight equipment, showers/bathrooms, etc. A very nice gym, indeed!

Next to the pool is also the gift shop, which sells small list of groceries, beer/soft drinks, and liquor.

As others have noted, if you stay at the Cove, you can also use all the facilities at the Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Resort. There's a short walk to the hotel or take the free shuttle service. Only thing you can't do is to charge anything at the Frenchman's Reef to your room at the Cove. You can, however, setup an account at the Frenchman's Reef, but I saw no benefit of doing that since I always carried at least one credit card, even when I was wearing just a swimming trunk.

The beach - The beach at the Cove is small but felt it was much better than that of the hotel next door. Since the Cove sits on the harbor side, the surf is not strong , so the water is much calmer and clearer. There's snorkeling immediately left and right of the resort, which has an abundant marine life along the reef. I actually lost track of time when I was chasing a stingray! Again, the beach never felt crowded at all. There are a lot of empty chairs throughout the day (unlike the busy beaches of Hawaii or Punta Cana of DR.

Food - since the Cove only has one restaurant, we ate out every night (cooked light breakfast in the kitchen). Here are some of the restaurants we visited:

- Caribbean Saloon in Red Hook - typical sports bar/restaurant with great service. good steak and seared tuna.
- Roberts at Elysian Resort - it was OK, nothing memorable.
- Mafolie - on top of the hill overlooking the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Great view of the harbor and good service. Food is mostly OK.
- Mim's Cafe - on the beach of Bolongo Condos. Great view of the Bolongo Bay and their curry lobster was excellent! Great service!
- Glady's Cafe - in Charlotte Amalie - after a full day of shopping we got there around 4:40 pm, and they still sat us. This restaurant closes at 5 pm. But the service was great, and their specials, such as Jerk Chicken, was as good as I ever had.
- Latitude 18 Restaurant - at the Latitude 18 Dock in Red Hook. Very hard to find this restaurant - easy to get lost if you dont know where you are going, but since we're there earlier for a daysail on the Treazzure (www.sailvirginislands.com), we stayed for dinner. Fantastic steaks. fresh fish, and great service!!
- Havana Blue at the Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star - what a find! Very expensive, but worth every penny! Their seafood stew (cioppino) was outstanding as was their seared tuna. Grilled shrimps and fired calamari were excellent! Great service!!!!

We're already making plans to get back to Frenchman's Cove next June.

5 Thank av8tor
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

Stayed at the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove on a timeshare exchange through Interval International. NB Some of the reviews on this page seem to be for the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Resort which is the hotel complex just around the headland from Frenchman's Cove. The Cove is a timeshare complex made up of very large, luxuirious apartments - ours was 2 bed 2 bath with a living/dining/kitchen (really well appointed - huge fridge/freezer complete with ice-maker and even a washing machine and tumble drier) plus 3 TVs and DVDs. Towels, pool towels, tea towels, starter packs of coffee, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, washing powder were all provided. For someone used to staying in apartments in French ski resorts (the sort of place where 8 of you are expected to share 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom and take your own bedding) it was absolute heaven. The complex itself is relatively small and climbs up a steep hillside so there isn't much in the way of communal areas around the separate apartment blocks. The pool area is quite small for the number of units - it was too crowded the first week we were there which was Easter week, but much better the second week. The complex is still under construction which wasn't a problem and apparently when it's finished there will be another pool and more communal areas. The least appealing aspect was the access roads betweens the blocks (so you could get your car right up to your building - typically American) and the combination of air conditioning and lack of screens on the balconies - so we tended to keep the doors closed all the time, which was a pity - unlike being in the Mediterranean where you have the doors and windows open all the time. Guests at the Cove could use all the facilities at the Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Resort - although the path between the two was a bit of an obstacle course. The food at the Cove was OK but a bit pricey as was Coco Joe's at Morningstar Beach, which was worth it for the location. The beach at the Cove is small but with some snorkelling (watch out for sea urchins) and nice early morning and evening. The Morningstar beach is nice for walking along but the sea is quite rough. We liked the pool at Morningstar Beach which was very quiet both weeks (but the kids preferred the one at the Cove where there was quite a good Kids Activity centre). Hiring a car is a must as taxis are so expensive - we used ZIp Rental - the car was a bit of a banger but the service was good. Try to avoid hitting the most popular beaches such as Magen's at midday as they are full of tourists off the cruise ships - by about 2.30pm most of them have gone. Take the car ferry to St. John's but again avoid Trunk Bay at midday. Can recommend the half-day sail and snorkel trip on the Jolly Mon and also the half day kayak and snorkel trip to the mangrove lagoon, both booked through the Adventure Centre at the Cove. All in all a fantastic holiday with lots of great snorkelling and some amazing beaches (go to Coki Beach where the fish will eat food from your hand - they like dog bisuits!). Our only disappointment was that there weren't enough places selling Caribbean food.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,668 reviews
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!