“Not great, but not bad”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Oakland, CA
“Not great, but not bad”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

If you can get a good deal with Priceline, go for it. If i'd have paid the standard rate of $300/night, it would have been much harder to accept some of the hotel's negatives.

Marriott Frenchman's Cove has a worn look, as if it's seen better days..However, it is hard to maintain a place in perfect condition in the moist climate of St Thomas. Yes, there was a mild mildew odor in the guest room, but it dissipated as soon as the ac was on full blast.

The fee to use the internet in the business center is outrageously high.

the prime rib and lobster buffet at CocoJoe's was good, with delicious salads, although the lobster was flavorless. The mgr Natika seemed genuinely concerned that diners had a good experience.
The check-in with Kim Perez (hope I got the name right) was helptul, and fun. No longline at check-in, but knowing to expect this, we rushed in to get ahead of a tour bus loaded with passengers.
There's a very good gift shop with unusual and beautiful wood objects from Costa Rica.

Our ocean view room looked out not just over the Bay, but over the roof! it would help if Marriott put some planters or something decorative out there, in the area adjoining the outdoor patio bar.

In Charlotte Amalie, go to Frenchtown and eat at Craig and Sally's Restaurant. And wander up to Synagogue Hill to see the synagogue and the excellent gift shop there.

I would recommend this Marriott only if you are able to get a great deal on it, for approximately $100/night. The other Marriott althernative, adjacent at Morningstar Beach, is nicer, but far pricier.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank calinurse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I traveled with 11 people total including 3 children and stayed in 2, 2-bedroom villas. The villas themselves are very nice (granite counters, stainless steel appliances, table seating 6, 2 balconies, washer/dryer) and the only complaint would be the pillows (down and provided NO support). The property is okay b/c it's still under construction (no paths and only one pool). I guess when it is finished it will have another pool, more green space, and a playground w/ BBQ area). The beach was nice as well; although it is rocky a few feet into the water (one of us stepped on an urchin) and only a small inlet where you can walk into the water. The waves are minimal compared to Morningstar Beach. The pool has a slide but it is not an infinity as advertised. Overall I enjoyed the property.

Negatives = Service!!! It is practically non-existent, whether you are dealing w/ servers or housekeeping or concierge.
Housekeeping: When we first arrived it was 5pm and they were just finishing cleaning our room. The floors were wet (tile floors that are wet are very slippery) and as they were leaving I asked for a towel to wipe them down. There was two staff and the one I asked VERY rudely said "No, I will not". I proceeded to explain why I needed one and then the two of them very loudly started yelling at me and each other and proceeded to walk away. I was so shocked. This proceeded for about 3 minutes b/c I would not let them leave w/out a towel (it's a freaking towel). Finally another staff came up and asked what was going on and gave me a towel. Let's just say that was the beginning and the stay continued w/ rudeness and much resistance from the staff. And this was throughout the Marriott property. Obviously the staff has NOT been properly trained!!!!!!!!
Restaurants/Staff: I would not recommend any of the restaurants on the property (however I did not eat at Havana Blue). The food was horrible and very overpriced!! Service was extremely horrible!! Spend your money at Oceana, Gladys Cafe, Banana Tree Top (I think), and Mim's (get the curry lobster). Oceana was the BEST restaurant and we had an amazing evening there!

Suggestions: Go into Charlotte Amalie when there are no cruise ships...prices are MUCH better! Megan's Bay is another place to hit w/ no cruise ships in port...otherwise it's gets really crowded. Taxi's are the same price into town as the ferry from Frenchmans Reef ($6/person) and they are much faster.

Would I go back? Yes, b/c I know what to expect service wise and it's nice to have a "home" to come back to after a day out (plus we have a timeshare). But the service was a disappointment considering that it is Marriott.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
CA
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stayed in Marriott's Frenchman's Cove 2-bdrm villa in the end of May 2009. We arrived late in the evening and our first impression was - this place resembles an apartment complex, not a resort! We have stayed in a lot Marriott Vacation Club properties all over the world, some of them tropical destinations such as Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Aruba. This resort, being one of the newest additions to the Vacation Club, was a disappointment overall. The biggest shortcomings were:
- cramped feeling, buildings are too close to each other, there is no space to just take a walk or enjoy the grounds;
- No greenery or lush vegetation, there is just asphalted road between the buildings winding all the way down with parking ports on the ground floor of each building.
- You have to take multiple elevators just to get to the beach, we had to take 3! If you are on the beach and you need to go to the lobby for any reason, then you have to take 4 elevators! Each building just has one elevator so a lot of time is spent waiting in less than attractive hallways. It was very irritating.
- Pool was simply uninviting with odd decor and lack of imagination. Also, for all the units this resort had, the pool is very small with lounging chairs around it so close to each other, you can be touching your neighbor.
- Beach is small with rocky entrance, not suitable for children in our opinion. Since it is kind of in the cove, there is almost no sun.
- The only restaurant on the property is by the pool, in the dark cave with practically no view, high prices and limited choices. We didn't eat there. The bar for tropical drinks is turned into the dark wall - way to enjoy the vista!
- There is still a lot of construction going on the property, which has 2 disadvantages: construction noise and more crowds to come in the future. There is just physically not that much space to build that many units and bring all those people. It felt that Marriott here is just after money without any regards to make it a tropical and relaxing resort.

Now, after all that negativity, you wonder what a horrible experience we must have had on our vacation. Not at all! We actually enjoyed it quite a bit. First of all, we had a car. So we went around the island a lot and even took car ferry to St. John for a day, which was a highlight of our trip - highly recommend visiting St. John - it has some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world.
Secondly, we avoided elevators altogether. We were on the third floor in close proximity to stairs. We would take open-air stairs down and then follow the road to the beach or to the pool. It took us a fraction of the time that it would to take all those elevators. We would also park close to our stairs so it was convenient to bring groceries or towels from the car.
Thirdly, and that was a big one, we mostly used the facilities of adjacent Marriott hotel property. It had 2 much nicer pools (one overlooking the harbor/town of Charlotte Amalie and another right on the beach), gorgeous Morning Star beach (one of the best beaches on the island, in our opinion), better options to eat though expensive (except Coco's, avoid that place at all costs, it was still expensive for the casual beach eatery and the food was gross). You can use the hotel's towels so you don't have to carry the timeshare ones with you. The hotel property is spread out and the grounds are nicely done. The hotel and the timeshare property are right next to each other, however, when we asked how to walk there we were told to just take a shuttle. Shuttle comes every half hour and it's rather crowded especially at dinner time. So you might not even have a space. There is a path between 2 properties, as it turned out, which we were told by reception that "it is not maintained, not lit at night and is very dangerous". That was a kicker! We did find that path on our first morning - it was 30 feet from our building stairs, where you can see the first hotel building. It wasn't maintained or lit, which was true, even though there is plenty of light from the street. It was about 15 feet gravel path and then you just follow the hotel building hallway to the lobby! What can be possibly dangerous about that?! We figured that they don't want to provide an easy access to the hotel. Shuttle is a hassle so most people would just stay at the timeshare property. Once the resort is complete and fully occupied, it will be crowded with no real beach and 2 small pools to support it. I don't think the hotel would like all these crowds to invade their amenities in great number, thus no walking path between the two.
And lastly, the interior of the villa. It was a typical Marriott property (they are quite similar in design) but nicely furnished with plenty of space and very comfortable. Solid kitchen too. It was a pleasure coming home after a long day of adventures or enjoy a meal on the balcony with harbor view. All their villas have views.

All this being said, even though we were disappointed with the property itself, we enjoyed our vacation immensely and would certainly come back with intention of being at the hotel side most of the time. If we have a chance in the future, we would much rather go to the island of St. John. It is more tropical and less built up as 2/3 of the island is a national park. St. Thomas was a little grim and the beaches were just okay.

You can have a great time anywhere, just get out and explore more if you can and don't take "no" for an answer - check for yourself. You can find some pleasant surprises where you didn't expect to find them.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank travelingeagles
NJ
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We bought into Frenchman's Cove in Sept. (also own at Surf Watch on HHI) and we absolutely love it! I was boring my kids (daughter 15, son 21) all winter talking about how gorgeous the place was and, despite all that buildup, they were still impressed by the amazing view. Others have done a great job describing the property and rooms, so my review will be from the perspective of an info-sec geek who loves fine wine and food.
First off - rent a car (preferably 4WD). Driving really isn't that bad, as I discovered when we realised my husband forgot his license (we had passports, even though it's not required unless you go to BVI) and that I would be designated driver (I think he did it on purpose). Taxis are fiercely expensive and are charged on a per-person basis. Nice thing about having a car was that taking the car ferry over to St. John was only $42 for the carload (plus we had the car on St. John). Driving is on the left, though the steering wheel is also on the left, which is a bit strange. Take it slow - it's difficult to see which way the road turns ahead.
As I mentioned, my husband and I are info sec geeks and we brought 3 laptops. No problems at all with the wireless. I recommend keeping the laptop in the room since it is very humid outside. Having a laptop made it easy to stay in touch at home, look up restaurants, cruise ship schedules, things to do, and to offload pictures to email to friends. My husband's Blackberry worked fine in most places on both St. Thomas and St. John, with only an occasional lost signal (phone signal isn't good over by Morningstar, though wireless Internet works fine over there). He even got a call from work while we were on the Ferry from St. John ("no, I can't approve your timesheet right now...")
Food. I cook a LOT and brought way too much stuff with me, which I will adjust next year. I'd still bring my tea (box of Earl Grey was $8.99 compared to $4.99 at home), sugar, some coffee filters (none in the villa), spatula (the provided ones are plastic), large tongs and one of my Shun knives (they do have "chef's" knives, but I'm spoiled). I brought a cooler with techni-ice and frozen steaks, bacon, cookie dough, grilled chicken (for quesadillas), hot dogs, hamburgers. Everything stayed frozen, even after being in the hot car waiting for checkin. My son was "starving" so we went to Sunset Grill, expecting a long wait (room was ready within 15 minutes). Food at the Sunset Cafe is expensive and not worth it - I'd rather save the money for some of the better restaurants such as Havana Blue (awesome food). I also brought a bunch of spices/condiments/oil, which isn't necessary. The Gourmet Gallery in Havensight has a pretty good selection, but a bit pricey. They also have a good selection of wine & cheese, even for a wine snob like me, but again - more expensive than home. A bottle of Mer Soleil Chardonnay was $50 and it's around $30 at home (Kendall Jackson was $25, $12 at home). We packed wine in our bags, but it was nice to know we could buy decent wine if we wanted. One last minute item I packed that I was happy to have was Ciabatta bread made in a brick over at our local Italian deli (for those who don't know, the NY/NJ area has some of the best bread). I brought 6 loaves and froze 3. We just popped them into the oven for a few minutes and served with cheese on the balcony. You can't get decent bread down there so I will definitely bring it again. I also packed 2 small votive candles, which came in handy when we played cards on the balcony (no outside lights). One thing I was pleasantly surprised to discover is that the filtered water in the fridge is actually pretty good. I mostly drink water, tea (and wine) and I'm pretty sensitive to bad tasting water (I have a water cooler in my house since NJ water is awful).

One thing that is cheap on St. Thomas is the rum and I highly recommend buying rum in town along with some fruit juices to make your own drinks rather than spend a fortune at the bar. We had after dinner drinks at the Reef and I was disappointed in the poor selection so I’d buy a bottle of good Scotch in town instead (view was amazing though).
Around the resort: We like to get our cardio exercise in (to offset hours sitting in front of computers) and there is plenty of opportunity at Frenchman's Cove! They have a great gym with treadmills, ellipticals, weights and a view of the bay. We also walked between the resorts, which involves walking downhill to the dock at the Reef, then up a LOT of stairs to the Reef, around the back then down a LOT of stairs to get to Morningstar. There are shuttles, but we liked the extra exercise.
Around the island: Havensight is pretty close, though even I wouldn't walk it since the roads are very steep and I'd be afraid of getting hit by a car. Parking wasn't a problem and Gourmet Gallery is right there. Yacht Haven is also no problem for parking and has a "Bad A__ Coffee" shop, similar to Starbucks. My kids got coffee drinks there and regretted it when we got to "Udder Delight" over by Magen's Bay. It's not that the coffee was bad, just that the milkshakes at Udder Delight are amazing! Definitely worth the stop and don't worry about the "adult" milkshakes - you'd have to drink about 6 of them to have any effect and you'd likely get a stomach ache first. Magen's Bay was a bit disappointing! I expected there to be grills we could use and packed a cooler only to find that you have to pay $100 to rent the pavilion to use the grills. Huge rip off! Food was very expensive, chair rentals also. It was pretty there, but not really what it's built up as. Lots of cruise ship people (and if I heard "Marco! Polo!" one more time I was going to drown someone) and pretty crowded.
St. John: As I said, car ferry was a great way to go! Roads on St. John are VERY steep and driving was a challenge. We headed over to "Skinny Legs" at Coral Bay (http://skinnylegs.com/) and had great burgers. The boys had some potent rum drinks while I sipped on iced tea (I told you he forgot his license for a reason!). Drove around the island and I'm told the scenery was great. I was busy watching the road and clutching the steering wheel. We ran into "traffic" and were amused to watch some public works guys try to use a Caterpillar to knock down some tree branches. St. John's version of road construction...
Trunk Bay was gorgeous but I'm glad we had the burgers at Skinny Legs before we got there. My husband and I got burgers at Trunk Bay on a previous trip and they were tasteless and expensive, but we were hungry at the time (on a tour where you are at their mercy for where you stop). Glad we had our own vehicle this time to go where we wanted. Oh, one thing to note: if you go swimming and then want to shop in Cruz Bay before taking the ferry back, make sure you cover up! They don't like people walking around in bathing suits. Also make sure you say "good morning/afternoon" (not used to that in NJ).
Shopping: stores are closed on Sunday unless a ship is in. If no ships are in port, some shops may not open. Best to go when there is only 1 ship. Advantage of staying on the island is that you have more bargaining power - I used this several times to say "well, I'm here all week, I'll think about it". Jewelry and liquor are best buys (got JW Blue for $129!). You can buy liquor at the airport, but it's more expensive. I felt like stripper on a Sat night walking down the main drag in Charlotte Amalie: everyone wanted a piece. Next time I'm getting a shirt made up that says "No, I don't need a Taxi!" Oh, parking was not a problem in Charlotte Amalie and is free on weekends.
Restaurants: Havana Blue is our favourite, but there's lots of other places we want to try. I've read negative reviews of Havana Blue, mostly saying the portions are small and it's expensive. This is true, but the quality is amazing (I have managed to reproduce their Miso-glazed Chilean Sea Bass). Don't go there if you like buffets or expect a bread basket. Definitely try the "Tacos de Filet", an appetizer that is 4 small (about 2 inch diameter) tacos. Great flavor - my son had 4 orders for dinner! Since Havana Blue is on property (by Morningstar) we went there a few times. I would not bother with any other restaurant on property - we did on the last trip (when we stayed at Morningstar) and found them expensive and the food boring.
Another good place is Lotus in Red Hook, sister restaurant to Havana Blue with an Asian theme. I like Havana Blue better, but I would go back. Loved the cocktails, but could only have one since driving back in the dark was really a challenge. Dragon Tempura Shrimp was amazing. Had to do extra time on the elliptical to work them off, though.
Finally - I am so glad I asked for a recommendation when we were in town for a place to eat on the way to the airport on Sunday. Most places are closed, but "Hook Line and Sinker" in Frenchtown serves a fabulous Sunday brunch. Great service, beautiful location and it's on the way to the airport. Definitely worth stopping there rather than eat bad airport food.
Already can't wait to go back and look forward to many trips in the future. This is not a week I'd trade!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank SiodaNj
long island ny
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We traded for one week at the Cove. Wish it had been longer. Our villa was lovely-2 bedrooms,2bathrooms,2balconies, great kitchen and living room. But the best part was the view anytime of the day or night it was just wonderful to sit and look at it..We did rent a car and toured the island stopping at many beautiful bays for swimming and snorkeling. We also made use of the beach at the Reef and Morningstar. We walked to them but you could also take a shuttle. We cooked in many nights and used the grills located close by. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, pots, etc.
We took the small ferry from the Marriott to downtown Charlotte Amalie one day. That was a good idea as it saved the hassle of parking and the narrow streets. Ate in Cuzzin's which was good. We also took the car ferry over to St. John's. The National Park was great with wonderful snorkeling and many great beaches. We took the smaller ferry over and back.On the smaller one you can get out of the car.
The staff at the Marriott were nice and helpful. My only complaint was the sound system down by the pool. It could use an update because the sound was not good. But this is my only negative. All in all a wonderful time and we would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NYtraveler056
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Traded into the Cove from my timeshare in Orlando, Marriott Grande Vista. Flight got in at 1:30.
Time to change your attitude. Smile and be friendly if you are not normally. It will actually make you feel better and make the locals be friendly back. Always say good morning, afternoon, etc...
Rented a car from Thrify/Budget, $269 for one week.Toyota corrolla, somewhat beat up. No problem. You will notice that most cars have body damage. We only forgot to drive on the left two times. There are signs around island reminding you to stay on the left. I almost didn't rent but glad I did. It depends if you just want to stay at the resort and venture out a few times. If you like adventure and going off the main path, rent a jeep...about $100 more costly. Got lost. My boyfriend gets lost going to the grocery store at home. Was in rush hour traffic through town with ships in port...slow. Arrived at resort at 3:00.
Check in was FAST. Probably was there less than 10 minutes. One customer was talking rather loudly...her room was not ready but it was one hour before actual check in. My room was ready. The beautiful sweet check in lady asked me to step out on the balcony. Wow what a view. She gave me my keys and map and told me a thing or two about the resort. I am not sure what she said, I kept looking at the view.
We drove down the hill to find a garage. There are a lot of tandem garages under the rooms that can fit two cars, if you have two cars in your group. You can also park on the side of the road, but it is cooler in the garages. Never had a problem getting a spot. This is a timeshare, so timeshare travelers know what to expect.
Was in the St.John building, it is on the top and one of the newest. Gorgeous view out the window. Two balconies. Everything was new, beautiful decoration.
Was anything broke? Coffee pot didn't work, but they did bring us another one. Did not see any bugs in the condo. Lots of room.
Got a phone call asking when the concierge can come and talk about things to do on the island. I realized this has something to do with the timeshare preview, but I am a timeshare owner and this doesn't bother me. I made an appointment. Michael came to our condo. Anything you wanted to know, maps, restaurants, ferrys, he knew about and drew on the map to show you how to get there. After a while he asked politely if we wanted to take the timeshare tour. I wasn't in the market so I declined. He was friendly and said to contact him if we changed our mind.
The week went fast. Took the car ferry from Red Hook to St. John. Hit all the beaches, most beautiful in the world. There was only a few streets we didn't go down because I don't think the Toyota would have make it...steep. Not easy finding a place to park in town, St. John. If you want to just walk around town, easier to take the pedestrian ferry.
Drove around the island,,,got lost again. Stopped to ask for directions. Street signs are few and far between. Cows and horses standing along the road in the hills.
Back in St. Thomas. Liked the fact that you could use the facilites at Marriott Reef and Morningstar. Went in all the pools, used Morningstar beach. Also went to the beach at the Cove. No problems. Have snorkel equipment handy if you like that sort of thing. We had a blast on the water slide. Not many people in the pool and slide in the evening. Not bad in the day either. Didn't see a lot of people working at the cove. We like it that way. No lifeguard. No problem. Watch your kids. The one restaurant was good.
We went to the grocery store and I made meals. I don't mind cooking and they have grills we used a few times. The pizza at Pizza amore in Havensight was awesome. $20 for a large. Shipwreck tavern, near there had good burgers...I think Friday was there specials night. Hooters wasn't very good. Wikked at Yacht Haven Grande (sp) was good. Weekday happy hour...$2 tacos and wings. Watch the cruise ships close up from there. There was some garbage around the island, but it's an island. Where do they put it? If an area looks scary, stay away from it. Red Hook area is hoppin. Don't drive at night if you can help it. Dark.
Kids there were having fun with the waterslide and they had a kids club. Activities every day. Not always posted daily in the elevators like at other Marriott timeshares, but you get the schedule at check in. One elevator was out for days. Just use the other elevator. No problem. If you are handicapped, this is not the place for you. Lots of walking, climbing and steep areas. I lost weight this vacation. Took the path to the hotel. That was an adventure. The shuttle bus works fine. As far as customer service, I never encountered any problems, but I don't realy ask for much. Don't miss the waterfall at the Reef. It is by the helipad near the tennis courts. My fiance liked the weather and area so much, he actually got a good job in St. Thomas while we were there. What a salesman! A few weeks later, gone...temporarily not forever. He's havin a great time and an adventure. Have fun. Don't worry, be happy. I will be back to visit later in the summer. I couldn't live there. Not many choices. I'd get island fever. No problem. :-)
Ask for Rocky to give you the Marriott Frenchmans Cove timeshare tour, starting in Aug.09. Tell him pb sent you. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank pb1333
texas14
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I own a Marriott timeshare in another location. We wanted to go to the beach so we chose the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. We had a wonderful time and the hotel was very nice. The beach restaurant was very good as well. The only negatives were that the beach at the hotel was somewhat small and we had to walk aways from our room to the pool/beach. The pool was beautiful and the location of the hotel was good as well. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!