“More Than We Expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Harrisburg, PA
“More Than We Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We weren't sure what to expect after reading some reviews. We were pleasantly surprised. We rented a car since resort was listed as being on the far end of the Island. Glad we did since it made it so easy getting around for the week. The entertainment staff were great and fun loving. Planning any activity was so easy. Our jaunt to St. John's was a 20 min. boat ride from where we stayed and the snorkling off of St. John's was great. The restaurant, Roberts lived up to its reputation. We had very good meals there and the waiters were friendly.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

You will see many reviews regarding the updating of the Elysian resort in st. Thomas and fortunately for us we hade a room that had been upgraded. However, even with the fresh paint, granite counter tops and new tile on the floor, I would still rank the hotel as slightly better than average. The beach is in a cove, just like the majority of the hotels in st. Thomas and the sand and water is again, just average. But the hotel is just a few minutes from the ever so popular Red Hook area with several good restaurants and the ferry to st. John. Our a/c was broken for the first day, and we had to wait an hour or so for fresh beach towels, but other than these two hiccups, the hotel staff was very accommodating. One thing to note is that the bar and restaurant is closed for renovations and Im note sure when it will be open. So if you're planning on spending a day on the beach at the hotel, be sure and pack a cooler for your enjoyment.

Another suggestion is to rent a car, instead of taking taxis everywhere, which can get expensive. Another must do is to take the ferry over to st. John for the day.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is updated.
Leesburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We just got back yesterday from our honeymoon in St. Thomas. We stayed at the Elysian.

The lady at the front desk was pleasant and helpful. I'm not sure which rude lady the reviewers were referring to. Yes, it did really stinks that the pool bar/restaurant on site was not in business. My huband and I agreed the beach at the resort was nice but there wasn't a lot of swimming area and you do share the beach with the marina. My husband and I snorkeled there and saw a 4 ft wide stingray right below us. We were actually laying across our floating bed and my husband happen to look down to find it below us. It freaked him out because he instantly thought of Steve Irwin. The depth we were in was only about 3 ft.
The water at the resort beach was pretty, although there is an ugly drain tunnel sticking out from the sand.

Our room was nice. Granite counter tops in the dinette area and in the bathroom. Fresh paint and updated furniture. We didn't have any problems with our air conditioner. The only problem we ran into was the bathroom window didn't have a screen, it was busted. The closed window shutter did not satisfy me. I had requested maintenance to put in a screen. By the second day I called again to get it fixed because mosquitoes came in and I got bit a few times the night before. Someone finally came out to fix it right away.

They maintained the grounds nicely. Everyone who worked there seemed friendly. Make sure to check out the book of Recommended Restaurants they have in the lobby. It shows menus for all the local restaurants. I wished I saw it when I first arrived, not on the last day of check out.

My husband visited a different beach each day. Make sure you rent a car!!!! It will save you money and time! Alot people rent Jeeps on the island. Great for the windy steep hills, but gas there is $4.70+ a gallon. We were stuck with a Ford Fiesta. That was great on gas but going up hills was a little scarey, a couple times I thought the car was going to roll backwards. lol

1 Thank tranganderson
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Just returned from another wonderful stay at the Elysian. I own with Wyndham in FL, so I travel on my points - but, I've also been the first to say for years that this resort wasn't up to Wyndham's standards. I can now happily change that stance.

I booked 2 rooms - a Studio Double and a Studio King. I called 4 weeks early to make the usual requests and to request that our two rooms be as close together as they could be, but if they couldn't be side by side that was ok. We arrived on property Saturday 7/13 around 11:30 from 3 days on St. John. I needed to pick family up at 2:30 from the airport so I had asked what the chances were for an early check in. Vicki remembered me from my call, and said it was unlikely but she would see what she could do. I explained that I really just wanted to be able to dump my luggage in a room so I would have room for everyone else stuff. I was given pool towels and a pool key and lounged by the pool until it was time to head to the airport. At 1:45 I headed back to the office and Vicki handed me keys to my room #208 (Studio King) and told me it was clean except for the balcony, and I could drop my luggage in the room on my way out. I was thrilled. We returned around 4, and were given the keys to #206 (Studio Double), an extra pool key and pool towels.

The renovations that Wyndham has done on these units and the pool deck are beautiful and about a 1,000% improvement over the outdated style they were up until last year. The addition of the convection oven is wonderful - we have one at home so it was easy to use - even baked some chocolate chip cookies in it. We found the room to be stocked with everything we needed - blender, toaster, microwave/convection oven, and the usual utensils and dinner ware. We needed extra towels and needed to change the sheets half way through from a little one's accident - and it was no problem at all.

The staff was friendly, attentive and wonderful as always. Vicki has been there since we started going 6 years ago, and she's a doll each time we're there. I just can't say enough about this wonderful slice of heaven.

Yes, it sits next to the yacht club - but the boats don't impede your ability to swim or snorkel. Yes, Cowpet Bay is a small cove - but it's 5 minutes to Red Hook, easy to get to and private. It's quiet, away from the hustle and bustle - which is why I go to the USVI - to leave my high stress job behind and just unwind - listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore, or the waterfall flowing into the pool.

I was concerned that the restaurants, bar and store would be inconvenient for me - but it didn't impede the vacation at all. It was actually nice without the extra cars and people in and out all the time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank LivandMarc
Galva, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

I can tell you that you want to avoid this resort at all costs...As soon as we arrived, we were met by the most awful front desk woman I have ever encountered. As others have said, she is very rude and does not care that she is. We arrived at about 3pm and were promptly told that check in is at 4pm, at 4pm, I am told that my room is still not ready and it may be ready at 4:30...when I complained, then suddenly my room was ready. I was not given a key to the pool until I asked. There are no restaurants or mini mart on sight. They do provide a free shuttle to Red Hook to go to breakfast lunch and dinner. We were told that the shuttle would arrive at 6pm, but when we arrived, then she claimed to tell us that it was at 7pm...What is so hard about giving you a shuttle sheet so you don't have to worry about miscommunication....I have been here less that 4 hours and I am ready to leave. So please don't make the same mistake that I did...I am sure there are much nicer resorts...

7 Thank Roxy085
Road Town, Tortola
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

On arrival the checking was friendly but offered no assistance finding our room we drove around twice trying to find the right building. The room smelt damp the ac unit was so noisy none of us could sleep. There were roaches in the bathroom. There were no spare pillows. The whole resort needs major refurb. Terrible value for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Trudy075
Bulverde, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Not pleased with this place....I'm not overly picky about places, but the pool was still closed for renovations, and while we were there, the owner of the 2 restaurants and gift shop decided to up and close indefinitely. So there is no food available on the property! Just a big disappointment overall....SO glad we were only passing through there and only stayed 2 nights. I felt very sorry for another group who just showed up for a weeks stay with their family. They were NOT happy! I've never stayed anywhere else on St. Thomas, but there has to be much better places.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,668 reviews

Been to Elysian Beach Resort? Share your experiences!