We rented a clean, comfortable condo (C207) from a private owner. The biggest complaint was the WiFi never worked and the back up option did not work either. (In Red Hook we didn't have much better luck getting WiFi. Forced you to disconnect, though, and enjoy the time away!) However, we were just steps away from the stunning beach that was never crowded (late April). The grounds and pool were clean. We had a fantastic yoga class on the beach from Sunita with Sunfit Wellness Services.
The big letdown for us was all the promoted restaurants and dive shop were closed. There is a small snack stand on site and a food truck at the top of the rather steep hill. In the future, I'd hit the grocery right away to have some food on hand.
At the snack stand there's usually a man seated at a table with a clipboard. Ask them to unlock beach chairs for you. Dive shop is closed. I'd pack more sunscreen, a couple extra beach towels, beach shoes for rocky areas, snorkel gear and swim noodles. Everyday necessities are not easy to access.
Note that there are no safe walking trails into Red Hook, even though it's fairly close. You can get the cheaper safari taxis at the top of the hill for $1-$2, regular taxis ranged from $6-8 each way plus tip. Make sure you take cash with you, smaller bills, and lots of $1's. Hardly anywhere or anyone took credit cards. Unexpected car rental took up most of one day and was very hard to find. Not a lot of signage around the island. Plan ahead if you think you want a car.
We tried to book a boat tour for 3 days and no one ever returned our call. If you can, go on site ahead of time to get full information. The number in the ad we checked out was wrong but the staff didn't seem too concerned. This is definitely island life so don't expect to be in a rush anywhere.
Hope these tips help you have a wonderful time. It is a lovely place and despite the challenges we had a memorable anniversary trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spectacular beachfront villas and suites are directly on beautiful Sapphire Beach by the crystal-clear Caribbean. A full-service restaurant is easily walkable from the beach. Families with kids will enjoy the sand, pool, fishing off the dock or boat, and pirate history. Active vacationers will find plenty of hiking, scuba diving and bicycling to keep on the go. There is something for everyone. Sapphire Beach, Saint Thomas is the perfect vacation island. Book your dream visit today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sapphire Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sapphire Beach Hotel East End
- Hotel Sapphire Beach
- Sapphire Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands