All reviews sapphire beach st john stayed in building two story grocery store day trip other islands corner unit snorkeling equipment rental car burger full kitchen bar and grill negative reviews vrbo marina condo
Reviewed 6 January 2017

I rented a one bedroom unit #302 in building A at the Sapphire Beach Resort via a VRBO listing. As a starting point the owner of this unit was great and very easy to work with. He responded promptly to my initial request and made everything easy including providing a list of everything we needed to enjoy our trip.

The unit we rented included a first floor living space with kitchem, bathroom and sitting area. This unit was remodeled at some point in the last few years. The kitchen and downstairs bath were of the quality I would expect at a high end resort. The balcony included a direct view of Sapphire beach, which I consider the most beautiful beach on the island. The sitting area included a hideaway bed my children slept on that met their needs. The kitchen is well equipped and we generally ate breakfast and lunch in our unit. The second floor of this unit included the bedroom, second bathroom, sitting area and a second balcony. Once again the bathroom was remodeled. The bed in the master bedroom was a little too firm for my preference but overall I was extremely pleased with this unit and would highly recommend.

The "resort" is mainly comprised of individually owned units so it is important to review photos of your unit prior to booking. First and second floor units are studios and the the third floor is the 1 bedrooms. If traveling as a couple I think the studios would work, but would recommend the one bedroom if traveling with a family. There is a laundry facility onsite in a small trailer if needed. My room included complimentary Wi Fi. This resort is also adjacent to a marina that can be used for day trips and booking snorkeling adventures. There is a small beach bar on site for drinks and basic lunch food as well as a dive shop for renting snorkel and rental gear. The pool was awesome and overlooked the ocean. There is an old beach bar next to the pool that is currently closed so it does take away from the experience a little, but overall it was a minor issue.

Our unit included daily beach towel service so we could trade in our towels daily. The unit also included complimentary beach chair service daily. The unit also included snorkel equipment free of charge for our entire trip. The unit was close to the town of Red Hook and as a result close to multiple dining options and the ferry to St. John. The onsite dining options are limited to the beach bar and a pizza place at an adjacent resort so to the extent you plan to eat out I would recommend a rental car.

Overall I was very pleased with my experience with this rental and my time on St. Thomas and felt very safe given the 24 hour security at the front entrance. Just remember these are individually owned condos with some resort amenities as opposed to a full service resort so you are going to have to plan to go to the grocery store unless you want to travel offsite for most meals. The best part of this location is direct beach front access to Sapphire Beach one of the nicest beaches on the planet.

Room tip: Book a one bedroom as opposed to a studio if traveling with more than 2 people
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank S708
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

A beautiful beach. A great day out. Very clean. The sea was wonderful. There are bars right there, which serve food. It's about 30 mins from the cruise port. It's worth every minute of the drive. It is well worth a trip down there.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank susanmK562KE
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We absolutely love our time at Sapphire Beach Resort.
We have returned multiple times and will continue to stay at Sapphire Beach Resort for our future stays on STT.
We always stay at a VRBO condo rental.
We enjoy the beachfront access, the beach chairs, the beach bar, the pool overlooking the ocean and the proximity to Red Hook.
There are some issues with the grounds, (tennis courts are an eyesore and the pool bar is abandoned) but it's not a huge concern when the beach is so amazing.
We will return!!

2  Thank kjbrown83
Reviewed 17 December 2016

Stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort in 309-C for the first two weeks of December 2016. The condo was wonderful, a one bedroom villa with two floors, each having a balcony overlooking the ocean. The owner, Lisa Benson, was an excellent host and provided everything. Walked out onto a great beach. The condo association provided beach chairs and there were trees to sit under if you didn't want direct sun. Plenty of water activities and a grill for great hamburgers or drinks. Close to Red Hook for restaurants and the ferry to St. John. Great vacation place.

Room tip: The first two floors of each building are studios and the top 2 floors are villas. Our corner unit had excellent views.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2016

Traveling here for a wedding in October 2016, our original rental (at another place) unexpectedly sent us a refund check, and said that the place was now unavailable.
My wife found this gem with only 2 or 3 weeks till our trip.

This unit (309-B) has had some Major Upgrades, from gentle stair lighting, accent night lights for those of us afraid of the dark, a fully integrated system of lights, curtains, music, video, even ceiling fans, all controlled by a few remotes. Arriving on a rainy afternoon, we enjoyed the rum and fruit punch in the fridge, and my wife really mastered the House Controls. With a spacious living area, a full kitchen, and a semi-spiral staircase up to the barge bedroom, we found it perfect for our week. The bedroom has an adjoining dressing area and bathroom, and room for all of our clothes and our ridiculous collection of skin care and other products.
There is also a small but secure closet outside of the front door, perfect for my fishing gear, and there are some chairs, snorkels, and other beach stuff that we were welcomed to use. Both entry doors have keypad access, so no possibility of losing a key at the beach!

There was a beach bar, newly reopened, with generous and cheap rum punches, great burgers, dogs, fish sandwiches, grilled to order, and we had fun with bartender Big Red. You will know her if you see her. The beach was just feet from our top floor and main floor decks, where my wife read and took in the loveliness of it all.
It seemed less crowded than we expected, but it did not bother us at all. We met quite a few fun folks, just floating/wading/sipping in the shallow and calm, crystal clear water.

I made a mental note to complain about the WiFi, but my wife simply called the owner, and the issue was resolved in less than an hour, and we had no further troubles. That said, if you are using a lot of WiFi, you are wasting your trip!

I was also going to complain about some wasps that seemed to want to take residence near our front door, but we mentioned it to the guy on the beach who will bring you a chair, and 30 minutes later, someone was in front of the unit spraying down the wasps...no further issues there either.

There is a pretty cool pizza place/bar just up the hill from the property's marina. They have great Mahi and Chips, some decent hand made pizzas, and plenty to drink. It was busy, but they took care of our needs with no problem. We went twice, and would certainly go back.

There are cabs there for most of the day/evening, and you can get to Red Hook in about five minutes for about 10 bucks....plenty of bars and eats, and a really good grocery store that we stocked up in before we arrived on day one. You can also arrange for an early pick up with the cabs for AM trips to the airport. They ask you to be 3 HOURS EARLY when you depart, but because of our 9 AM departure, we were pretty lonely for a few hours before take off. It might be more crowded on later flights.

All in all, we had a blast! I fished and caught a big Jack from shore one night just outside of the marina, got caught in a pop up storm another night while walking with my wife by the marina, and really just enjoyed what seemed like a perfect place to decompress and enjoy the sun, the water, and the amazing view of St. Johns and a few other islands in the distance.

No need for a car, and our Unit 309-B was fantastic. Any concerns were taken care of with speed, everybody seemed nice, and really, just happy to be in such a beautiful place. We will return if this unit is available.

Room tip: I think all of the rooms face the water and have a good view, but because we had the 2 level, I think ours was better.
Date of stay: October 2016