Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Can't recommend”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Rooms need updating and painting. They are not in good shape. Small bugs everywhere. Floor nasty. Water leaking from shower in room above, no bathtub and water in shower does not keep constant temperature. The only reason I am giving it a 2 is because it is right on the beach and the beach is lovely. However, it is not lovely enough to make up for the rooms. Would never return regardless of the price.

Room Tip: Do not plan your trip here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dannoo0929

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just returned from Bolongo Bay from a friend's destination wedding, and I was simply disappointed across the board with this property. From musty rooms with tiny bugs everywhere to soaked water spots and rotting door jams - I would never return, regardless of price.

Our visit lated from Thursday through Monday. In that time we took advantage of the amenities a number of times including:

- Pool
- Iggies Beach Bar
- Lobster Grille
- Waterfront Rentals (Kayaks, Floats)
- Heavenly Daze (Catamaran Trip)

Here are my notes from the trip - which began the minute we checked into the room.

ROOM
We walked in to a fully tiled room that felt very dirty and had clear sand left throughout it. The doorjamb to the tiny bathroom was rotted at the bottom and the front of the bathroom vanity was painted plywood. The sink was without a stopper and the towels (like all fabrics in the room) smelled musty. The bathroom odor was a putrid mix of raw sewerage and body odor, and the toilet rarely emptied when flushed.

The stall shower lacked water pressure and warm water, which was disappointing at first but became more tolerable as the temps often peaked in the 90s.

Our bed was certainly not king sized despite being advertised as such. It felt smaller than our queen sized bed at home, but was either that or a full. Not sure. In either case, the bed was the highlight of the room by far. Quite comfortable for the first couple of nights.

Beyond the bed there was a small table and on the long wall adjacent was a bureau and old, box style television. There was a balcony off the room with a decent view, but it featured two uneven chairs and a rusted cage of sorts that surrounded the AC unit that hung out of the room.

Inside the room I was pleased to find an iron and ironing board, but the "kitchen" area was a rusted out small dorm style refrigerator and another sink lacking a drain or stopper - and there were hundreds of tiny, black bugs.

Upon asking a staff member about them I was told that the bugs were common and that housekeeping could look into it. Overall, the room was simply uncomfortable and felt dirty.

HOTEL STAFF
Generally friendly, but very laid back. We were very disappointed with the front desk clerk who changed (in a 12 hour period) the pricing on us should we have wanted to upgrade to an all inclusive package. The variance in prize was significant, too - ranging from $450 to more than $1,600 based on a variety of factors that no one would clarify for us. Irate with that, we refused to upgrade - and in the end saved some $800 over other couples who were in the group who had gone all inclusive. The food and drink were basic at best, so we didn't miss out on much - and we were quite happy with that decision.

THE LOBSTER GRILLE
The Lobster Grille is adjacent to the hotel lobby and offers a basic selection for breakfast without daily specials. It's the only option for breakfast at the resort, and service is terribly slow. One morning we sat down before 9AM and hadn't had our slip to sign before 10AM.

Expect a mix of standard island fair mostly consistent of American dishes with an island twist of sorts. Portions are pricing are both good, but the food lacked character during the day time.

The Lobster Grille requires reservations for dinner regardless of how busy they are. We know this because we were told as such despite the fact that there was no one sitting down to eat and more than 15 open tables set with wait staff standing around.

The pricing makes a significant jump up (expect entrees to range from $25-$40/pp) at dinner time, but again, portions are respectable.

IGGIES BEACH BAR
We heard rave reviews about Iggies and were impressed a bit by Iggies when comparing it against The Lobster Grille. Again, service is slow, and a friend best described this beach bar as having looked like a great place 10 years past it's prime.

The atmosphere along the shore is tough to beat though, and you can expect to find a loud bar area with relatively friendly bartenders. It looked like some of the management was shared between Iggies and The Lobster Grille though, and their lack of attention was both evident and consistent.

HEAVENLY DAZE
The Heavenly Daze is a catamaran that docks inside of Bolongo Bay and is used for a number of excursions from the Bolongo Bay Resort. We went on an afternoon trip to Turtle Cove and snorkeled with sea turtles. Hands down, the highlight of our time in and around Bolongo Bay. The crew on board was incredibly attentive and friendly and clearly went out of their way to accommodate everyone on board.

- - -

All in all, if we had not been attending for a friend's wedding at the resort, we would not have been happy at all with this vacation. It was overpriced, we felt lied to in a number of circumstances - and the condition of the property was something you'd expect out of a local roach motel. Had there been more options locally, we would've strongly considered moving hotels altogether.

Simply a large disappointment.

Room Tip: If you need to stay here, look for a room further from the lobby and pool area to avoid rowdy guests...
6  Thank Eric_Lander
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This isn't a 'bad' resort but its very basic. Friendly staff but very, very slow with check in. They do offer you a fruit punch while you wait which is a nice gesture. Rooms are very basic, nothing fancy and the property is out-dated as well. Rooms have that musty smell to them like most resorts in the Caribbean do. The windows on the doors were merely shutters and would not close completely to help keep the room cooler. The air conditioner has to run on high always. We had upgrade to a beach view (thank you 'gladiator') that was half washed away. Gardens are definately over grown and not taken care of, beach was also needs some TLC. The breakfast is very poor. Breakfast buffet for $14 consisted of maybe 4 items. I ordered the pancakes off the menu for $3 and received 1 pancake that was gone in 3 bites! Pool was OK...you were able to use the non-motorized water sports free of charge which we enjoyed. You can get an all inclusive bracelet here as well. This was just a stop over for us so we stayed one night. I doubt that I could stay here any longer than 3 days, its far too quiet for my husband and I.

Room Tip: Not much to help with here...it is what it is...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed at the Bolongo Bay Resort for the Labor Day weekend. It did not disappoint me.
Upon our arrival, we were greeted with a choice of rum punch or fruit punch and it was just what we needed after landing.

I found the front desk staff to be all smiles, friendly and warm. They gave us a room that was not what we reserved. No problem. We went to the front desk and they worked with us, all the while smiling and switched rooms for us.

We found our room to be clean and adequate. The rooms are equipped with an iron and board, flat screen TV and the channels are decent as well. The shower was so tiny, however. The air conditioners are a bit noisy especially when trying to sleep but the beds are very comfortable. Our room was 135, ocean view. Waking up every morning to a paradise was a true extravagance.

The beach is rocky and it looks small, but what I LOVED about this beach is that you don’t feel crowded nor do you have to get up early to “reserve” a spot. It’s spacious enough for everyone to spread out and there are enough lounge chairs for everyone. Also, what I LOVED was there were no beach hustlers parading around trying to sell everything to you. There are plenty of sport activities right on the beach. Also, be aware the beach is full of Iguanas and some of them are huge. They climb the palm trees and they will even stroll right next to you and under your lounge chair. They’re used to people feeding them, I assume because they don’t seem afraid of people. Mosquitoes are also a big problem and the bug spray/off spray didn’t seem to help much.

Iggy’s Restaurant and the Lobster grill are on the beach. I loved them both. We bought an all-inclusive plan which I highly recommend. I must have eaten lobster just about every day! The food is delicious as well are the drinks.

Did I enjoy my visit at the Bolongo? Yes, I did. Would I return? Yes I would. Everything ran smoothly and everyone was so nice. It was one of my vacations ever!! I miss it already!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MoneyD
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at the Bolongo Bay Beach Resort for the Labor Day weekend and had a relaxing and peaceful stay. We were greeted with a Rum Punch. The staff at this resort were happy, friendly, cheerful and always willing to help make our stay a comfortable one. The rooms are cozy, housekeeping was swift and efficient which is always very appreciative!

The beach was a bit rocky. You really can’t go into the water without beach shoes, that’s how rocky it is. But the ocean was calm. There are water sports activities on the beach as well. Lots of beach chairs on the beach for everyone! I loved Iggy’s Restaurant and the Lobster Grill, which are right on the beach. The Lobster Grill serves a buffet breakfast in the morning. You definitely want to go All-Inclusive for this trip. We ate Lobster every day!
I highly recommend Bolongo Bay and would definitely return again! The staff there are all wonderful and the resort is very relaxing!

3  Thank drafty
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Looking forward to spending time on the beach and laying by the pool. But what do you do when there "ain't no sunshine". Staying at this resort made it "sunny". The staff was wonderful. Stephanie is the best. The food was sinful. The French toast was fabulous never change the recipe. I have traveled a great deal and I can honestly said what you saw in the photo gallery was what you got. It will revisited by me in sunshine or not.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just spent two days at this resort. It is a great place to stay! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food at the Lobster Grill and Iggies, both restaurants on site, was outstanding as well. It's great for couples, families. The room was more than adequate with a nice balcony right off the beach. Lots of water sports activities as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Coast
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!