“Coming here for thirty years!”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
New York City, New York
“Coming here for thirty years!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My first love will always be the island of St.Thomas. It was here at Bolongo Bay that I spent a month on my Honeymoon back in 1980. I return to St.Thomas every year when I can and frequent some of my favorite places. Bolongo Bay is a great place for just about everything, especially with kids! That being said, you never have to leave the resort!!!. If you are like me and like to explore, I would rent a car. Order it a month before you travel! Stay on the left and please be aware of your surroundings at night. You must go to St.John's, Virgin Gorda, Tortola & Jost Van Dyke and see Foxy! Think you can't do all this. You can if you plan ahead. Day 1. Check ferry schedule. when cruise ships are not arriving, go shopping! Head over to Sapphire Beach for a day of swimming or check out Magen's Bay. Have a bite to eat at Iggy's and jump on Heavenly Days for that beautiful sail and zzz. Day 2. Hop on ferry (Red Hook) and go over to St.John's. If you want to be a tourist go to Trunk Bay. If you want to be an explorer go to Salt Pond. Just drive around and take it all in. I have found more places just driving around the island. Colombo's (middle of the jungle) Skinny Legs (great little place to eat)! Shopping I treat myself at INTO THE BLUE. Amazing jewelry. Head back and zzzz. Day 3 & 4. I like to hop back on ferry at RED HOOK and go over to Tortola for the day. I hop in a cab and go over to Cane Garden Bay and stay overnight zzzz. You can easily do this for Virgin Gorda (The Baths!!!) as well. Day 5. Try and get over to the Ritz Carlton if for nothing else, to just see it. Check out Frenchman's Reef and go over to the Aquarium. If you never made it to Magen's Bay, today might be the day. Tonight have dinner in Frenchtown. Craig & Sally's. zzz. Tired yet? LOL. Day 6. Try and get on a boat today (Sapphire Beach) and go snorkeling. I like to get over to Willy Tee's for lunch and just spend the day in the water. Tonight for some fun I would go to Duffy's Love Shack for a little dancing. Keep in mind this is a local spot and not for everyone (Adult oriented) or Latitude 18 (off the beaten path literally). Day 7. You may be heading back today so have a safe flight. I know you will come back again, as I always do. List of places to eat. Cuzzins, Mim's Seaside, Off The Hook, Bella Blu, Oceana, Greenhouse. If you can't stay at Bolongo, consider VRBO.com and looking for condo rentals next door as you can walk right to Bolongo. Good Luck !

Room Tip: Ocean View is always a good choice.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank longislandchick60763

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our Son and his beautiful new wife were married in June 2014 here. It was amazing. The Rooms overlooking the bay and the view...staff very friendly the two restaurants, beach fun, pool..will go back if we can for sure....our housekeeping was great..Be sure to go on Heavenly Days ..The wedding sunset cruise was on it..wonderful crew..all you can ask for..beauty,food, drinks and we all felt Very Welcome. Ike and Kay Linquist . Rockford, Ilinois

Room Tip: We never heard about a bad room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kay L
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The bolongo was nothing short of amazing once again! This is our second time staying here and we love it. The rooms overlooking the beach are amazing and we love being able to walk to Iggys! When we arrived Kyle was our greeter and he was wonderful. Very polite the entire visit. There was a guy checking us into the front desk that was great as well! We could not have been happier. Only suggestion would be to talk to housekeeping, ours was not very nice and we opted out of service so that we didn't inconvenience her. But it was perfect beyond that!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Slw003
West Hempstead, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We just returned from a week at Bolongo Bay and are already planning a return visit. The resort is just perfect and I would recommend getting a room with an ocean view balcony. Listening to the waves lap the shore at night was so relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and quite accommodating. The two restaurants on location, The Lobster Grille and Iggies were both wonderful, with excellent food and service. The beach was beautiful, with plenty of lounge chairs and within easy walking distance from the rooms and the restaurants. We enjoyed all of the water activities too, like the snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boats and rafts that are free for hotel guests. In addition to the abundant rum punches and cocktails, there were coolers of fresh ice water at no charge. We highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with an ocean view balcony. There is complete privacy on the second and third flo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CathyMarkK
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I spent a week at Bolongo Bay for our Honeymoon. Great service at the hotel, constantly getting your drink refilled and a beautiful restaurant 100 feet away from our room are outmatched by the amazing sailing trips we have taken on the Heavenly Days Catamaran. Larry, Shelly, and James made us feel right at home on the sea. We took a trip to snorkel around Honeymoon beach, St. John. We took a trip to snorkel on Buck Island for turtles. And we had a beautiful sunset cruise to end our trip. Although we appreciated everything Bolongo Bay had to offer, the reason we will be coming back is because of our amazing trips on Heavenly Days! Thanks guys!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve R
Danville, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just returned from a week at Bolongo Bay and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is just the right size and the location could not be beat. We like to explore on our trips and so the all-inclusive option did not appeal to us. Bolongo is halfway between downtown and Red Hook with gives plenty of options. We rented a car which allowed us flexibility. The Bolongo beach was very pretty and snorkeling was decent. The kids certainly enjoyed all of the free beach toys (kayaks, paddle boards, snorkel gear, paddle boats). The convenience to Iggies was the highlight though. Just walk 100 yards to the the most perfect beach bar you could imagine with music each night. Our Room (155) was close to Iggy's but the noise did not bother us at all. I agree wit most others that the hotel is no-Ritz Carlton, but I found the rooms clean. I'd highly reccomend....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank frankacorn
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Couldn't have asked for a better resort to take my honeymoon on. If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, you're going to have a bad time. If you are expecting a laid back resort run by great folks, who will remember your name and make sure your drink is always full, then you're all set. Book now.

007, Alex, and Harry will keep you hydrated at the swim up bar, while Jess and Charlie will do the same down the beach at Iggie's, which is just about the best beach bar in the Carribean, no joke. I suggest the Voodoo Juice or a Bushwhacker. Keep a look out for Miss Viola if you need anything in the Lobster Grill, as she runs the show at breakfast.

Zaks and Adam will keep you cool trying to teach you water sports you should have just known you couldn't do in the first place, but are still proud of yourself for trying. Find em at the Beach Hut.

From what I'm told by our cab driver, Bolongo Bay is the only resort directly on the beach, which was fantastic. Our room was ocean view on the 2nd floor and our walk to the beach was 23 seconds (we timed it). Again, if you are expecting the Ritz Carlton for your room, you will be disappointed. If you expect a clean room with functioning everything that will provide a roof over your head and a comfortable bed, then you're in good shape. Let's be honest, you're not going to the Carribean for the hotel room.

All in all, we had an amazing time, and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!