“Bolongo is Beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
A TripAdvisor Member
“Bolongo is Beautiful”
Reviewed 18 May 2005

We returned on 5/14/05 from a stay at Bolongo Bay. What a wonderful place! We stayed in one of the villas which had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. It was perfect for us as we were a family of 5 (me, my husband, 9 year old son, 12 year old daughter and their 13 year old cousin). They have 2 restaurants on site which we ate in most often because of the all-inclusive. Both are great. Iggie's is a casual beach bar/restaurant and the Beach House is the place for dinner. For an all inclusive, I think the food was great and the drinks even better! Nothing was "cheapened" by being on an all-inclusive as I have seen in the past. I cannot say enough about the staff! From the front desk (Ice and Heflyn) the day we checked in, to the waiters for dinner (at the Beach House) or waiters at Iggies for lunch or a snack! Ray (from South Carolina) at Iggies is WONDERFUL. What a polite, pleasant and respectfuly young man! He's great with the kids, and everyone else! Priscilla (a waitress at breakfast at the Beach House) is terrific. Alex (waiter at dinner at Beach House) is a great guy too! We made wonderful memories there and will return. Some mosquitos at night, but if you have OFF not a problem. Rooms were kept clean and neat and no bugs in sight as I have seen in other reviews. Not crowded this time of year either, which the adults liked but the kids would have like to have some more kids around. A few more activities at night geared toward kids would've been nice, but all in all A GREAT VACATION!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Newport News, Va
Reviewed 13 May 2005

Just wanted to add a quick review since my wife and I just returned from 7 days at Bolongo. I searched the web for reviews of resorts prior to making plans for this vacation. Thank god I listened to those who posted great reviews for Bolongo! It was awsome, the staff was fantastic and the food at both the beach house and Iggies was great! The staff really does care about you from the time you check in till the time you depart.. They do their best to do anything they can to make your stay all you want it to be! Your not just another customer..

Bolongo isn't the Ritz.. it's not for those who walk on water, it more for those who wish to swim in it and enjoy it! Sure, it's not filled with gold and diamond fixtures and million dollar suites.. But, it's a REAL carribean island get-away for REAL people who want to escape the everyday tensions of life and enjoy the Islands and all they have to offer. If you want a place like the Ritz, stay at the Ritz.. If you want to be treated like family, and have a great time.. Bolongo is it..... Can't wait to go back.....

• Stayed May 2005
14 Thank bbern2014
East Providence, RI
Reviewed 6 May 2005

Bolongo is nothing more than a run down motel. We have been to St. Thomas many times -- we've stayed at Secret Harbor, Frenchman's Reef Marriott and we also own a timeshare at the Westin St. John. If you are used to motels -- this will be fine for you. If you are expecting an actual resort -- you will hate it here. The room was filthy upon check-in -- complete with the lipstick marks of a previous guest on the glasses in the bathroon (I don't know how anyone could miss that). The shower was tiny and absolutely disgusting. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable -- our "king" bed was two twins pushed together with a piece over the middle! Iggy's food was gross -- a hamburger took 50 minutes and came out rare.

Bottom line -- if you like Westin, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott -- DO NOT BOOK A ROOM HERE. If you like Motel 6 -- run down -- this is the place for you!!!

• Stayed August 2003
13 Thank etraveller
Wauseon, OH
Reviewed 28 April 2005

Although I stayed at Bolongo a year ago, I decided to post my review. I have been using tripadvisor comments to assist me with my tropical vacation again this year & I'd like to share my past experiences as well. My boyfriend and I stayed at Bolongo Bay for 3 nights/4 days in March of '04. The exterior area of the place is well-kept & there is a beautiful ocean view. We went A.I., and honestly did not get our $$ worth. We are not huge drinkers & we wanted to see some of the island, so we found ourselves not always eating there. The food at Iggie's was okay. The food at the Beach House was very good for dinner. We ate breakfast there every morning, and that was good also. The pool is very small & the beach is a bit rocky right off the shore - a good pair of water shoes solves any problems. The water sports included were not that great because the area they allow you to use them in is very small. If several people are out at once, it is a joke to try to enjoy yourself. I would take bug spray for your rooms and plan to use some in the evening if you are at Iggie's. The nightly entertainment was a bit of a let down. The main area of our room was pleasant - the bathrooom left a little to be desired. We started our stay on the first floor with a nice patio - however, on the first evening, our air conditioner exploded [I thought a bomb had gone off in our room - seriously!]. The staff was great to move us to another room in the middle of the night. We wound up in a little nicer room - but up 3 flights of stairs - which gets tiring doing multiple times a day.
Sights- Spent a day at beautiful Magen's Bay, spent a day sailing and snorkeling at St. John -the best beaches I've ever seen!
This is an honest review, take some of the other's with a grain of salt. I have attached some pictures. I would go back to St. Thomas, prob. not to Bolongo. The staff is wonderful, and if you are looking for a budget place, this is okay - I'd just like a little cleaner feeling in my room/bathroom.

• Stayed March 2004
13 Thank sunseekerOH
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 27 April 2005

We were very disappointed with this "resort" it was probably ok when it was new but really needs remodeling~the wood on the cabinets in the bathroom was rotting and the cabinet's in the kitchen were metal and made a loud awful noise. You couldn't open a cabinet or door without it banging into a beam~your feet were black after walking across the floor~only two hammocks on the very small rocky beach and they were filthy~The lounge chairs on the beach were very old and rusty. Take the ferry to st. John and camp at Cinnamon bay for $27-it's great! St. Thomas is way too crowded and you either pay a fortune in cabs or sit in traffic forever looking for a place to park your rental~

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank sunfairy3
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 April 2005

This place could be the best place I have ever stayed at. The food and drinks are great, and so is the beach. We had 8 days of sun, and we will try to return as soon as possible!

Stayed March 2005
31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Elmira, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2005

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the resort. It was the best vacation that we have ever had. Bolongo Bay is truly a slice of paradise. The staff was attentive, polite, and went out of their way to insure that we had a great time. Chef Ric's creations in the Beachhouse Restaurant are incredible; not only are they among the tastiest foods that we have ever encountered, the overall presentation of the meals enhanced the dining experience immensely. Iggie's is the casual bar & grill beachside, and had good lunch and dinner fare. The drinks at both establishments were top-notch. The beach was great (groomed daily by the staff), the water "toys" were enjoyable, the pool relaxing, and the atmosphere beyond description. Everything was truly first rate. Our room was immaculate, spacious, and the view of the bay from our balcony was beautiful. As has been said in numerous other reviews, this is not the Ritz or the Taj Mahal, but it is exactly the type of resort that we were looking for; clean, casual, and very, very relaxing. There were abundant activities to keep you occupied if you desired.
We went all-inclusive, and felt that we got extremely good value for our investment. We were certainly not short-changed on either food or drink. Unlike some all-inclusives, your food was ordered from the regular menu and served to you by a very friendly and professional waitstaff. We were pampered from the time we arrived until we checked out. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2005
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!