“Do Not Stay Here if you want a nice room”

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Richmond. VA
Reviewed 26 January 2006

My husband and I stayed one night at this resort. We were supposed to stay 6 nights. It was run down and the rooms are horrible. I cant believe the condition of everything. The food was good. I would not advise anyone to stay here. It was on a scale of motel six.

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,225)

Reviewed 22 January 2006

Jan.22,2006
Reviewer: Susan&Steve Doyle from MPLS.MN.

We really do not know where to start, we just returned from Bolongo Bay Fri.Jan. 20th. First off the resort is very family orrientated and also great for couples that want to relax without the hussle and bussel of the bigger resorts(like the super clubs) When u go to Bolongo it is all about u not them they go above and beyond the call of duty to make u happy! U will even see the owners help out at the bar or even clean tables if they are busy plus they look like they are having fun doing it they always have a smile on their face! The staff was always singing as they were working and they do not forget your name or what it is that u want to eat ect. They were alway ontop of everything! "Viola" hats off to u , u are the most fantastic hostess I have ever met, u made everyday a great way to say Good Morning to the world!!!!! Pricilla, Thanks for the great service, everymorning she would have our glass of champ. and coffee almost at the table before we sat down WOW! Thats just to name a few. The beach was always in tiptop shape and yes there were rocks in the ocean and u did need watershoes but oh well its the ocean! The guys that haddled the watersports,parents feel safe with your kids they are fantastic at what they do they are on top of everything they will be on the jetskis or the rescue boat before u can snap your fingers. Jamaul, thanks u are wonderful i felt as though i was around my son,HUGS & KISSES and if get to feeling bad feel free to email me and i will email u a glass of orange juice. Everyone at Bolongo Thank u for one of the BEST VACATIONS we have had ever. I think i gained 10lbs. from all the WONDERFUL FOOD! between the Beach House and IGGISE!!!Our roon very clean and never smelled of the musty stuff u sometimes have when by the ocean. We had a FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone from BOLONGO BAY BEACH CLUB! we will see u again. Love all u guys Bye Sue and Steve Doyle

12  Thank koi
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 21 January 2006

We charted a sailboat for seven days and stayed 2 extra days after the charter at Bolongo Bay Beach Club in St. Thomas. We did a lot of research before choosing to stay at Bolongo; it looks like our research paid off. We had a great time, the people were friendly and we loved our room and the activities. Thank you; we'll see you again when we come back, as well as to refer you to all of our friends.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GEORGETOWN, DELAWARE
Reviewed 19 January 2006

We read reviews before going that the staff bends over backwards for guests. However, I beg to differ!
The first day we arrived to a room with no working A/C but were assured that it would be fixed by bedtime.
Well, by midnight the A/C died on us and we told the front desk. Of course, being midnight, there were no maintenance staff around so we spent the rest of the night sweltering.
The next night, the same thing! We asked to be moved to another room with working A/C and were told that there was a choice of only two rooms (which I find hard to believe, the place looked deserted!) and both were smaller rooms with smaller beds. Never have we ever been "downgraded" in a hotel because of their faulty equipment!
We moved to our next room and were met by stale-smelling sheets and sandy floors.
On our final night there, the hotel experienced a power outage from midnight to 4:30 a.m. There were no emergency lights anywhere.
Upon checking out, they never volunteered an explanation but when pressed about it their response was "Oh, the whole island was out, it's a St. Thomas thing"
Never again! Live and learn!

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2006

I stayed at the Bolongo for 4 days in January 2006 with my husband. We chose this resort because my husband was touring with a band and that is where they were placed. We have been to alot of resorts all over the carribean and this resort was very different than the other places we have stayed. The property is extremely small, food is good/average and though the others felt the food was high priced I thought is was average for what is usually charged. I normally go all inclusive, 4 star resorts but I didn't since I was there such a short amount of time and we did not spend much time at the resort. The beach is very rocky, pool shoes are a must. Nothing to see as far as snorkeling goes however, there were a few people loving fish that loved to rub on your legs. They did not bite and were not dangerous they are just used to being fed. they have plenty of water sports to do. Though it is small, we never felt crowed, plenty of space and chairs around the beach and pool for everyone.The rooms were the BIG issue at this resort. They were Motel 6 at best. some of the rooms were a disgrace. Don't get me wrong, they were spotless, no bugs, etc but they were serverly run down. This hotel is in need of a major renovations. Floor tiles broken, beds are lumpy and hard as a rock, very musty smelling. Showers are the worst. I am 4'9" and when I tell you the shower stalls are small, I mean very small. When I shaved my legs, my knee was sticking out of the curtain, no water pressure and the toilets all over the island need help. Toilet bowls clog and over flow very easily and take a very long time to refill so you can flush again. What I can tell you about this resort (more like a motel) is that the staff is amazingly helpful and friendly and I can't say enough for the owners. That's what made the place and why I gave it the extra star.

As for the island of St. Thomas, I LOVED IT. St. John's too. I can't wait to go back. I felt very safe walking around at night. The islands are beautiful and very Americanized in the tourist areas. They have something for everyone and the people are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank lovepalmtrees
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 23 December 2005

My family just returned from a week at Bolonga Bay Beach Club. We rented a oceanfront hotel room for my son and his wife, and a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo for my younger son, and my wife and me for a week, and had a great time. It's an older facility, but very well maintained, and if you like a "laid back" island lifestyle, then you'd love this small, boutique resort. The staff made us feel like family, the ocean views were very close (about 100' from the condo)and we never felt like there were many people around...kinda like having our own "secret" get-a-way.
One potential drawback to this resort is that, eventhought there's a beautiful beach, it is rocky, making wearing "water shoes" a must. There is plenty of sand on the beach for sand castles, etc, but you will need the water shoes to swim in snorkle, (which is very good). If you have more than two people on the trip, the condos are the way to go. We stayed in a 2-br with full kitchen, large patio with direct access to one of the two pools available for guest. The hotel room my son and his wife stayed in was nice, with small refrig, and microwave, and a very nice ocean view) There are two restaruants on-stite(l casual, one more upscale) which are very nice, but like everything on the island, not cheap ($10 for a cheeseburger). We had two very nice dinners, and several lunches at the causal, "tikki hut" style Igges, and everything was great. There's another small upscale restaruant next door to the resort (Mim's) which was outstanding. Tables were 20' from the ocean with spectacular views. Try the coconut curried, stuffed lobster. It's almost worth the trip to the island to try. The resort is about 30 minutes from the airport, 20 minutes (depending on how many cruise ships are in) from the main shopping district, about 15 minutes from Redhook(resturants, some shopping, groceries, and the ferry to St. Johns) Using taxis with a group (we had 5 people) can be expensive. If you like to go places, you might consider renting a car, however, driving on the crowded, narrow, winding roads (driving of the left side,I might add) can be exciting. However, if you have a car you can discover many pristine beaches, and local type restaruants. All in all, this will not be our last visit to this beautiful, laid back, family resort.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 December 2005

We just returned from Bolongo Bay in St. Thomas. We did the all inclusive package and it was well worth it as the food here is phenomenal!! Don't forget to get the stuffed lobster and the Bushwacker drink from Harry at the bar. Rooms are average: beds could be better, but you don't go there to spend your time inside. Staff is extremely friendly. If you are taking kids - don't know if this is the place for you as pool is average, but you are on a quiet stretch of beach. Beach staff extremely nice. Be sure and get over to the beaches of St. John!! We went to Cancun last year and preferred St. Thomas/St. John. Less hassles and shopping is wonderful.

8  Thank SuegoetzKentucky
3 mi away
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!