“Nightmarish hotel”
Review of Tregenna Hotel

Tregenna Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff an guests have absolutely no idea about keeping quiet when guests are trying to get to sleep. The rooms stink of curry the plumbing is noisy so noisy in fact I had to turn my radiator on when it was hot to stop the noise. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Just don't risk staying here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank gorjam58
There are newer reviews for Tregenna Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We booked through late rooms and had a good price and were very happy to have the suite which had a sofa and a 4 poster bed and was a nice size room. The bed was comfortable.The room was clean and the hotel quiet, We did not have breakfast or a meal but i saw they have a bar and I have heard that the food is worth trying. This hotel does have at least have some character the previous evening we had stayed at a more expensive chain hotel there are a couple of them in Merthyr which was very soulless. They have chalet type accommodation outside the main hotel and parking directlyoutside them. There are signs marked to the location of the hotel in the town centre,

Room Tip: The suite is lovely,particularly if you want to chill on the sofa.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Wondered what to expect here when made as a last minute booking for a Sunday night in Merthyr Tydfil.
The room was adequate and clean, with a TV and a good shower.
I was offered an evening meal, and for an extra £5 breakfast, but declined as had to meet a friend.

Room Tip: Takes a little finding due to extensive road works, good off road parking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Would love to be able to review this hotel but after going onto their web site I called them on a Saturday evening to enquire whether they would have a dog friendly room or chalet available in the middle of September. The foreign sounding male who took my call did not seem to know or be able to check anywhere to see if it was possible and take a booking. Instead he advised me to call back on Monday morning. I then took the opportunity to send an e.mail to hotel reception to make my enquiry as advised on their website. That was about two weeks ago and I am still awaiting a reply. I have come to the conclusion that the staff their are obviously incompetent and on that basis I doubt very much whether I would want to stay there even if they did have a room free!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Book in time was supposed to be 1300 hours but on arrival we were sent to the room only to find out it was still being cleaned. The room was ok but there was a lot of dust on a beam, a curtain on a skylight was badly torn and filthy. One of the bedside lights was hanging of the wall. In the bathroom there was the sound of constant running water, which disturbed us during the night. There were also a lot of dogs at the hotel who spoke loudly to each other during the night, and because I don't talk dog it only kept me awake. When we woke up in the morning and got ready for breakfast we found we could not get out of the room because of a faulty lock, so we had to phone the reception to be released from our predicament. Fire hazard or what. On our final day we had planned on complaining but management were otherwise detained by a customer complaining about a flooded room, due to a leaky radiator. All in all I would liken it to Fawlty Towers. We will not be returning there ever!!

Room Tip: Go to a decent Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff S
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel would have been outdated 100 years ago.

Where do i start?

Dust everywhere, tired looking rooms and uncomfy bed, all resulting im a terrible experience

The staff were friendly but thats about it. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Rickyd2411
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel had a few bad reviews but I was told that it has recently changed hands. I think the new owners are trying hard to turn the place round. OK, it's not the most scenic location (it's right next to the football ground) but then the area is a bit depressed having lost a lot of major employment so nearby parts of the town are run-down. The wall paper in my (single) room needed sticking back down & the cold tap on my en-suite basin howled like a fog horn at some settings. But the staff were very helpful & friendly and the food was I thought very good. We ate there every evening as a result. I also thought the cost very reasonable & would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Castle of Brecon
Castle of Brecon
#2 of 2 in Brecon

Been to Tregenna Hotel? Share your experiences!