Castle Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Rude, unhelpful, abrupt, dated, neglected rooms, what more can I say.... They need to interview for new staff with good customer service... won't book my relations in there again. Everything was to much trouble.. The hotel it's self needs a face lift... On the plus side close to train and bus station...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Dewi W
279PaulaS, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

This is not Castle House Hotel Hereford but the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil Wales which has nothing whatsoever to do with us!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Reception staff were ignorant and unhelpful, manager was unavailable, they get you to pay on arrival don't do this as once you see room you wont stay,our room was stale and smelly, broken wall lights ,broken and stained ceiling tiles, toiletries in bathroom from last occupant, toilet seat old and very chipped, bath old and stained couldn't use it, furniture old didn't match handles were broken on furniture and inside wardrobe was filthy, a leg on chair was broken, a door handle was broken, the door to room had big holes where new locks had been fitted to it several times, my son has sever eczema and needs daily baths he would off got infected skin if he had bathed in that , carpet and ornaments in corridor were filthy, lights kept dim here hoping you don't see it , we were refused a refund or discount should off stayed 2 nights but only managed one and had I off had I choicevi wouldnt off done that one

Room Tip: Inspect your room before you pay as refund was refused to us after we paid
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank susannoonan21
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I happened to stay there in abnormally hot conditions in July, probably absolutely exceptional for Wales, and it simply was not OK. There is no air-con, which is fully understandable, this is not Andalucia, but the mad 1960s architecture transforms the hotel in a greenhouse in summer conditions. Getting asleep was not easy ! In more ordinary conditions, it should be a nice place : the room is very big and the prices reasonable for this level of quality.

Restaurant is best forgotten, service is nice and professional, breakfast is decent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A bit faded but perfectly adequate 3 star in Merthyr. Nothing outstanding but nothing awful either. Decent breakfast, bedrooms reasonably quiet and windows opened so we had some air circulating, plenty of hot water, decent storage space - including room for 25 bikes. No TV reception in our room and sockets poorly placed. I'd be reasonably happy to stay there again but would look around before deciding.

Room Tip: Upper floors seemed quieter, and there's a lift.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel on booking.com but have no idea why I didn't check the reviews first. Was it a moment of insanity? On arrival, the receptionist was unhelpful and disinterested. However, the night porter was a gentleman - chatty, obliging, and more than helpful. A shining star in a sky of black.

I was woken several times during the night by shouting on the street and by noise from neighbouring rooms. The walls seem to be paper thin.

The decor is very dated. Beds were OK. Breakfast was OK but nothing to boast about. Both taps on the sink need fixing. The young man serving at breakfast was quietly polite.

This is a very run down town. It shows many of the worst signs of the economic downturn. At Tesco, a staff member asked me 'what possessed you to come to this place?' I ask self the same question and I cannot explain why. But I know I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2013