“Very unhappy of Ipswich” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Merthyr Tydfil
Ipswich
“Very unhappy of Ipswich”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Booked three rooms for three nights at this hotel, received a call from the owner asking us if we definitely wanted the rooms as it is bank holiday and the rugby also. We confirmed that we wanted the three rooms for the three nights as we are attending a family wedding and would have been travelling from Ipswich (257 miles). Today, received call from the owner to say that there were never any rooms in the first-place and as we hadn't confirmed that we wanted the rooms, they are no longer there. I told him we had confirmed the booking, but he said we were "first reserve". Have stayed here before and had several problems, faulty taps, electrical plugs that come apart. Unfortunately wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, wedding to go to and no-where to stay!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrsJ1960

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were looking for a cheap hotel in the Cardiff area for a single night stay and came across this hotel online. The pictures looked pretty good, so we decided to reserve two rooms. We happened to be coming into Merthyr Tydfil during the worst construction detours imaginable. We could not find the road where the hotel was located, even though we printed directions before we left. We finally resolved to calling the hotel for directions, and the woman who answered the phone was friendly, but of absolutely no help. Thirty minutes later... we found it. We get there, check and the same woman I spoke to over the phone, walked us to the hotel's restaurant [which was a really nice gesture].

There is odd décor placed all over the hotel: black and white pictures of recognizable structures from all over the world [Restaurant], random watercolour paintings mixed with coloured charcoal drawings of ancient Greek sculptures [hallways], and 80's style artwork in the hotel rooms. The décor overall was questionable. Now, the worst part of the stay... on one of the headboards in our room was a old, dried booger left by guests before us, a large section of wall paper had been stripped from the wall, part of the ceiling was peeling in the restaurant, our toilet seat was rotted at the bottom on the lid, the hallway on the third floor [where our rooms were located] were very dimly lit, the floors needed to be vacuumed and it just seemed like the basic cleaning hadn't been followed through in a while. The walls were super thin, we could hear the tv from other guest's rooms as we walked down the hall, and we could hear the shower and toilet flush from the room next to us.

We did eat in the restaurant, for dinner and breakfast. Dinner that night was a carvery. I had the pork, my party had the roast beef and turkey. Even though it was under heat lamps, my pork was tepid to the touch. The restaurant was not packed, but there wasn't much available to choose from for the sides, either options or amount of each side. We came down the next morning for breakfast, which was a full English breakfast. There were more people in the restaurant at this time, but the selection and quantity of food was the same. Both meals were buffet style, I think each time we were "waited" on once.

Whenever we were leaving the hotel, some vomited in the hallway heading toward our room. It didn't look fresh, and no one had addressed it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maschalismos

Travellers are raving about these Merthyr Tydfil hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

It looks like what it is, a 70s hotel, the décor being all pastel, green, lilac and gold. My room was spacious, with a bath, which is always a plus, clean, comfortable bed, but would benefit from being redecorate, Dinners were generous in size, not cordon bleu, but acceptable. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
279PaulaS, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
This is not Castle House Hotel Hereford but the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil Wales which has nothing whatsoever to do with us!
Neath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Booked/checked in to this place last minute - on first impressions at the lobby it seemed ok for a 3* hotel.
Then to be told the price for the night was up from the £49 to £69.00... My partner and I were too tired to bother arguing the case with the receptionist and we just took the key and followed the receptionists instructions to the room.
The room we were given was nothing like the one we say in the photos on booking.com... Carpets were old and stained, the furniture has seen it's day and was all chipped and marked, the bed was lumpy, mattress had certainly seen it's day! There was a flat screen TV and a refreshments tray with coffee and tea and that's it.
No ironing facilities, no available WIFI, there was a phone but who needs such a thing in this day and age with mobile phones.
The decor was very dated and scruffy, I remember my gran having the same wallpaper and boarder put up in the very early 90s.

Walk in to what was the ensuite.... Toiled was soiled and caked in black limescale, the bath and overhead shower was all mouldy (as per the photos I've uploaded) there was hair down the trap of the bath which wasn't just a single hair, it was totally visible to the eye even though I wasn't even looking.
The hose going up to the shower head was broken, the shower head was dirty, mould around the shower head holder, mould around the sealant of the bath.
The window in the bathroom obviously hasn't been cleaned for a long long time! It too was mouldy on both the glass and frame.
The towels provided were too old, thin and very hard.

As it was stated we had the last available room we decided to grin and bear it for the night and just avoid contact with anything in the room.

We decided to have a nap as we'd had a long day, to learn the duvet was good for nothing, again it's most likely just very old and was so thin.
We were only provided with one pillow each too.
The bed was very uncomfortable but so exhausted I did manage to fall to sleep - later waking up with back-ache... I'm only 30 years of age and never had such a complaint before.

As we awoke we decided to find out what options there were for dinner, as it was a Saturday we didn't fancy town as it was full of drinkers and the youth of Merthyr and didn't think out options were much apart from to try the hotels restaurant.
We could see it had been awarded a 4* hygiene award so took the plunge at 8pm.
We looked at the menu by reception which seemed pretty good, then entered the dining room only to be told our one and only option was a carvery roast dinner.
This wasn't something we wanted - and I'd actually had a pre-planned roast the following day.
We decided to go out and grab a take away which wasn't much cop but was our fastest option as it was getting later.

(Morning of departure)
We were not made aware of check out time but being a frequent hotel stayer assumed it to be 11/12 midday.
My partner was admittedly running late in the shower when the phone rang in the room, it was reception calling asking why we'd not yet vacated the room, it was barely 5 mins after 11pm!!!
I told them we wouldn't be long and we rushed to check out only to have a very rude receptionist stating that check out past time is charged at £10 per hour past 11am.
I simply snarled at the receptionist and stated I'd be back in contact.

I'm going to be drafting a letting of complaint to the hotel about everything noted above.
I could have stayed in a chain hotel with a lower star rating for less and would sure as heck have had a better stay.
This place really is appalling - I'm not a guy of high expectations but expect the minimum standard to be one of clean, user friendly, comfortable and worry free.

This place in my view is only good for contractors, and at a far far discounted price!
£69 for a stay here is ludicrous!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Beckyparks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights 13th march, the road closed outside hotel, workman started work at 7 am! Visiting scots for the 6 nations made it impossible to sleep,setting off smoke alarms at 2 am! The room was tired and dated and was impossible to shower as there was no water pressure on 4th floor,manager was not bothered at all when we brought up these points, no apology offered. On the plus side comfy bed, quilts and pillows, clean towels.

• Stayed March 2014
hove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was advised to stay in Cardiff and travel in to Merthyr as the hotels were supposed to he poor, but I wanted an early start. Previous reviews hadn't been great but it was only for one night. What I found were polite staff, general cleanliness, a warm cosy room with a comfy bed and good pillows, a TV that worked properly, a shower that was tall enough (I am 6ft4) and ran fast and hot. I slept well. Breakfast had been bugged up by a previous review but was average. Some of if was excellent (scrambled eggs especially) but some poor (hash browns hard and fried?). Overall, for what you pay this was great. The main things I want from a hotel stay for a night or two is a good night sleep, a hot easy to use shower and a decent breakfast. That is what I got.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bambifalls
Ponteland, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hotel is very outdated in terms of decor and furniture. Squirting boards were sellotaped on in our room. Lack of sockets made drying hair difficult and unable to charge more than one phone/laptop at a time. Lighting was rather dim with only 2 wall lamps and a bedside lamp . Shower was abysmal - no water pressure at all and only trickled out so unable to use. Taps on sink turned round when trying to turn tap on so got soaked.

Evening meal was delicious well cooked, hot and plentiful but breakfast the next morning was DIRE.
Consisted of 1 slice of cold hard bacon,1 sausage 1 hashbrown 1 toast and a dessert spoon of beans - all lukewarm and as for the fried egg, well I thought I was chewing a piece of rubber. Tea was stewed, as along with the coffee was left on a hot stand to stay warm

A complete overhaul is a must if this hotel wants to stay trading.

Be aware that there is a busy bus station right outside - great if you need to travel but if your looking for quiet - forget it

On a more positive note however I could not fault the staff on duty. They were friendly and appeared to enjoy their work although a few of them did not speak any english / welsh

Not somewhere I will be returning to

Room Tip: ask to be on the other side of the bus station