The Westin St. John Resort Villas
Gallows Point Resort(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$534
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$235
Travelocity
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$221
  • Breakfast included
US$294
US$286
US$287
No availability for your dates from our partners
Caneel Bay Resort(Caneel Bay)
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
2,968 results
All reviewscruz baytrunk baybedroom villathomas airportpublic ferrymorgan's mangotime shareper personthree bedroomcinnamon baykids clubgolf cartbeautiful islandlime innisland tourjohn resortyour luggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I visited this resort for a week two years ago and just returned from a five day stay. Upon arrival at the resort, it was almost unrecognizable. We opted to take the Westin ferry as opposed to the Red Hook ferry then taxi. The ferry itself was over ten minutes late. Granted, you're on vacation so timeliness likely isn't a major issue, but doesn't reflect well, especially since no employees came out to assure the 30+ people waiting at the Cruz Bay dock that the ferry was delayed.
As most reviews state, there is major construction going on, which blocks some of the pathways. For the villas, this entails an uphill walk, which would be a huge deterrence for travelling with a small child, or someone unable to walk up a fairly steep incline. I walked to and from the pool multiple times per day, and only had two golf carts offer a ride over the period.
If you're looking for peace and quiet...you won't get it here. The construction is LOUD near the beach and pool.
I noticed a decline in the facilities and level of service. The bathrooms by the pool only had 2 stalls that weren't out of order, and were obviously not well maintained, with no soap or toilet paper. The villa bathrooms were grimy as well. Pool chairs were stained and many of the towels were fraying.
The plus sides of the resort is that it's very child friendly, and if you have a villa, you can save quite a bit by cooking your own food. There are some healthy options to order from poolside restaurant or room service, but you will pay at least $15 per person. Drinks are similarly $10-15.
Overall, the level of customer service has decreased. It's still a great resort if you overlook the construction issues, but definitely has a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: check floor plans to request a closer or quiet location
2  Thank TheLadyJess
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Many thanks for your review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I do apologize that your stay was affected by the renovation taking place. Active construction takes places Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm in an effort to ensure our guests are not affected by this necessary enhancement. You’ll be pleased to learn that we are currently in the process of renovating the Snorkel’s bathrooms by the pool. We hope to welcome you back in the future to see our improvements firsthand. Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We just finished our bi-annual visit to our home resort here on St. John. As always the grounds are beautiful but things seemed a bit different this time:
1) There are a lot of construction projects on the premises. These are needed but distract, of course, from the beauty. Noise is also an issue but unavoidable. The biggest inconvenience is a few paths through the property are closed necessitating a much longer walk to the parking lot, etc.
2) This wouldn't be an issue if they had the same amount of golf cars shuttling guests around. There seemed to be much fewer than in years past. Drivers too were not nearly as friendly as on previous trips.
3) Signage has not yet been altered around the resort. Even temporary signage would help. e.g. the store on the property has moved but that is not reflected anywhere. And while the old store had lots of provisions, choices and good sandwiches available, the new one has a much stodgier feel with a greatly restricted amount of items available.
4) In general, the staff was much less friendly and welcoming than on previous visits. This may reflect stress from the renovations, but hey we still paid to be there.
5) We were told that the resort is changing ownership to Starwood Vacation Ownership as it converts to all villas. It may be this change that resulted in less friendly staff. Last year we stayed at the Cancun property- it was a world of difference in how we felt welcomed and were treated.
I've always been impressed at how good a job Starwood does at making guests feel "special". Did not see it at this resort right now. Hope it gets back on track.
The unit -we own in Bay Vista was fine. We actually had a vista (view) of the Bay which not all units have. The furnishings are showing some wear, but I know the owner's association is working on replacing them. Overall, a bit disappointed compared to previous visits. But the island itself is great, beaches as beautiful as ever and the flora and fauna seemed much healthier and more lush. Very happy to see that the coral is making a comeback.

Room Tip: They don't usually let you select a room/villa. But the upper floors always have a chance for a better view.
3  Thank drjamesz
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

As an Owner, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. While it sounds as though you enjoyed your stay overall, I do want to apologize for the concerns that arose throughout your stay. I will pass your comments on to my Management team in an effort to improve on our processes, service, and amenities offered to our guests. While it is never enjoyable to receive bad news, I cannot thank you enough for your feedback. Without it, I am oftentimes unaware of areas that need improvement. Thanks again and we’ll see you next year.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Beautiful views, friendly staff and clean rooms to go along with a gorgeous beach and pool! You will love exploring the beaches of St. John and snorkeling! Full equipped kitchens and heavenly beds make this a perfect stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kathy T
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed three nights Fri-Mon. Spg member: with that only perk was "free SLOW wifi...if i wanted faster service I would have to pay. Booked through spg website so no 3rd party. Received email from concierge asking for specific interests. Stated clearly that i needed a room without musty or moldy smells and that has been consistently used. ( I have learned even Westin, Hilton,etc need this reminder); asked for extra blankets, extra tea bags, upgrade if possible, early check in. No repsonse once this reply was sent; Resent this again 1 week before arrival; Called left message for early check in possibility; left phone number. No call back. Finally called again and was told no early check in avail. Check in at 3pm. No parking near front area. Had to park quite far away from paver walkway outdoor to reception building.No lobby at all. Simply 2 small front desks, 2 chairs by computers (business center). Four chairs by "concierge" desk/ villa sales.
Was disappointed no bellman to assist me with my luggage and 3 add. bags. Was asked if I needed help as I opened the front door!There were Westin workers sitting in golf carts watching me haul all these things by myself and offered no assistance. At 3:40 pm I was told there were no rooms ready for me and I can find a seat a wait for one. There were no comfy chairs. Only 2 stiff chairs by "business center" so I stood. And stood. Waited 30 minutes. Finally a room was available. Carlos, the front desk worker, was nice and polite, but did not have the charisma to have the position he held for a Westin. Forgot to give me back my Visa and tossed on counter and said something off color, when it should have been placed in my hand and with an apology. When I explained that I was surprised my room was still not ready and check in was 3pm, he walked a few feet from desk and got on walkie-talkie and talked about my situation and I could hear everything. After another ten minutes or so, he said there was a room. I explained I hope that my requests were satisfied and he stated he did not receive requests. (?? what was the concierge letter for then?) He said I would be assisted to my room by a golf cart. i had to wait ten more minutes.After five minutes waiting for a cart, a gentleman walked in and wanted to check into his villa --which is on other side of property than my room. Within one minute he was checked in and when the driver came to take me, front desk told him to take this gentleman and his party to his villa.(despite the fact I had been waiting VERY long). We could share a ride. I carried most of my bags and driver assisted w/ two others. Waited in cart a few minutes and the villa gentleman said he was waiting for his wife to join him. We waited a few minutes and I asked the driver if he could please take me as I had been waiting for a long time and this guy just walked into the building. He asked the villa man if he would be OK if I was taken to my room and he would go back when his party was complete. He agreed. I showed the driver my key number. By this time I was tired and very thirsty. He drove me around and unpacked my things; together we carried bags up elevator and he took my room card and sighed and said we were in the wrong spot. He thought I was staying in the villas also. So we had to bring everything back into the golf cart and drive to the other side.. NO offer to set up luggage, orient me to room or property or amenities by Anyone! Two minutes later the phone rang. Concierge peppy and excitedly asked me how was my stay going at the Westin? I said I was tired and very thirsty and had issues getting into my room. I asked where the water bottles were in the room? (Most have them.)She said she didnt know and I should call the restaurant regarding the water bottles. But she wanted to book my trips and activities during my stay so to get in touch with her by 7:30 and as a bonus I could get a 15% off certificate for some stores downtown .... (SHE WANTED HER COMMISSION ON BOOKINGS... that is all concierge was interested in.... unbelievable. That is not a concierge!) I called restaurant and they said if I wanted water I needed to walk to the market store and buy a bottle. After examination, I noticed the moldy smell and checked the bathroom. There was mold all over the grout and cracked tiles, dirty floors, a penny under a pillow, and a desk that was missing draws, furniture scratched, and only one outlet for computers/phones behind furniture which required crawling on floor and moving furniture. I called down and said that the room was not acceptable due to the dirty/moldy/musty bathroom and the only main request I sent in was please NO MOLDY BATHROOMS! Said they did not receive any requests. (What happened to the replies sent to Concierge) Carlos told me there were no other rooms available. He would send " housekeeping" to see what they could do. Took photos and sent to spg/westin on Twitter and FB. In 10 minutes after pics sent to Twitter, Carlos called and said he was told he located a room for me to switch into and someone would be there in 15 minutes. I waited over one hour for anyone to arrive. I carried some bags and he carried others. I got on golf cart and he started to take me to my new room, meanwhile 3 people wanted a ride to the taxi area to get a taxi downtown. He drove them all the way over to that taxi stand before taking me to my 2nd room. Did not talk to me at all. Second room was on first level. I carried most of my things, he could not locate the room keys in his pocket. he tried all the ones he had. Then while he back-tracked, someone picked two keys off the ground and asked if he was looking for these. FINALLY, he got me into my room. Again, no offer to set up on luggage rack or orient me to room which was basically mirror image of previous room. Then he waited there expecting a tip. At this point, I was not tipping anyone. I said thanks and good-night.
Room was a bit better with regard to mold level, but still seven or eight areas of mold on walls and around water faucet. Floor dirty. Hair and a straw under the sink area. Armpit hair in the sleeve of Westin bathrobe which was all wrinkled all over: used. Same situation with the other one. Wrinkled all over therefore did not attempt to put on. Sheets clean, bed comfortable. Desk more appropriate, no "missing" draws. Still a lack of convenient plugs. Decor just OK. No extra personal items that most upscale resorts have in rooms. TV channels limited and all with extra "TV product" commercials even at normal times like 8pm. No room service, no offer for comp razors or static guard if you forgot it. No milk for coffee as Kimpton and Hiltons and other chains offer. Bottle cap under bed ( floors not getting cleaned). Dirty stains on bathroom wall/door/floor. Wore my slippers while in room entire time. Went to buy milk at the "Marketplace" for my coffee/tea and 8 oz containers were all expired. Told this to manager and she replied:well what do you want? ME: milk that is not expired.HER;then you need to buy half a gallon. So that is what I had to do for 4.99 which considering the food costs, was not that bad, but I knew I would not use it all. Grounds well kept and pretty. Pool very nice. Marketplace had small assortment of snacks and beverages and lunch items, pastry/muffins/bagels,. Look at menu as there are many other things on menu than on actual display like make your own pizza.
Asked concierge for times for car ferry, she handed me a Westin handout and said for me to call to confirm calls as they might have changed.! (Could not believe this!) Told her I had no reception on cell phone. She said call from room, she thinks it is no charge ( NO: little sign next to phone states local calls are 1.50). Last day wanted to snorkel a few spots a read about in Fodors. Asked different Concierge for road directions to specific spots I wanted to go to. She told me I did not need to go to the other side of the island to snorkel and I could just stay at Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay and snorkel. It was dangerous to go to the other side of the island and she would not recommend it. Went to snorkel renal on Westin and rented my snorkel gear and asked them and they were stunned and said best snorkeling is at one of the spots I wanted to go to. They said it is not dangerous and easy to drive to and short easy clearly paved walk. I suggested they connect w/ concierge so that both are on same page w/ recommendations/directions/ perceptions. Last night got food to go from Lemongrass restaurant. Spinach salad w/ edamine great. Salmon pretty good but very small portion. Rice pudding dry and not good. Health center lots of machines. Magazines from 2013. Steamroom out of order. Bathrooms dirty. Limited classes/ 3 x a week. Very small locker room with no water/fruit/ lotions, etc that other Spa Hotels have. Would never get a spa service here. Very large separate enclosed area for Villa sales. Was given 100$ credit for my delay of room. Considering a 40$ Resort Fee per day and taxes/fees and price of room I feel that this stay was completely NOT worth it. Just stayed at a Kimpton in Philly PA and Cambridge MA for less and got SO MUCH More in return, better service, much more friendly workers across the board, cleaner, more perks, .In addition, there is construction in many places which is noisy, dusty. If I come back to St John will go to Caneel Bay, if I go to large resort; Never again to St John Westin. The Westin Resort in Maui was so nice and not at all like this one in St. John.

Room Tip: Had one room VERY moldy on 2nd floor, given a different room first floor - seemed better caulking in bathroom to cover mold but still musty/moldy. I dont know which are the newest buildings. if you can find that out that ask for one of those rooms. Good luck!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Elly H

Thank you very much for posting a review regarding your recent stay. I understand that my assistant has been in contact with you regarding your concerns and will ensure that you are satisfied with the resolution. I do apologize for your multiple inconveniences and hope to once again welcome you as a guest at a Starwood Hotel and Resort.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am only on day two of of my non-refundable eight day stay at the Westin, and I will provide a more complete review upon my departure. However, given how my visit has transpired thus far, I feel compelled to post a review now discussing the first two days.

Prior to arrival, I requested a ground floor room, as a family member suffered an ankle injury. I was led to believe this would not be a problem. Unfortunately, we were booked in a second floor room in a building with no elevators. I was told there was no way to accommodate this request until tomorrow (day 3). Packing up and moving in the middle of my vacation is exactly how I imagined spending my time while here...

I booked a Deluxe Beachfront Room. The Westin website describes this room category as having a private balcony or patio.

Our room has neither. We were told this was a safety issue--that all rooms with double beds on the second floor do not have balconies in the event there are small children in the room. Then perhaps there shouldn't be double beds on the second floor?

This morning I woke up with an ant crawling on me. We called the front desk and were told that someone would come spray in about 30 minutes, after we had left for the day. Imagine our surprise, when we returned from our day of exploring St. John, to find that nobody had been to spray our room and the ants were still present. A second phone call to the front desk solved the problem in a much more timely manner. The true problem in this scenario is that as I mentioned, our room doesn't have a patio or balcony (i.e. no screened door) And as with most hotels, no windows that open. The bathroom is without an exhaust fan. So, we are in for the day, in a room full of insecticide, and no way to deal with the fumes. Unless we would like to leave the main door to our room standing wide open at night. Awesome.

Lastly, I was well aware the Westin was undergoing renovation when I booked our room. The website update stated that renovation of the pool and beachside rooms was complete, along with renovation of the swimming pool. It did mention that the pool deck would have LIMITED disruption due to outdoor pool spa renovation. What it did NOT mention was that by LIMITED, they meant that early in the morning, loud, constant construction noises -- jackhammering, sawing, etc, would begin, and would be very audible INSIDE your deluxe beachside room. If they had told me this, I wouldn't have planned on sleeping in or relaxing in my room. We finally left our room around 11:30 this morning. Given the construction that was still occurring, I suspect that relaxing by the pool isn't happening for many people either during the day.

I understand construction has to happen...but please be honest about it. Consider not booking the rooms directly next to the spa, perhaps just leave it vacant. For guests looking to still stay here, we are in the 10 building, on the end closest to the pool. I would avoid those when making reservations.

Positives do include a rum punch on arrival, a beautiful, large pool, and a super friendly golf cart driver named John.

Room Tip: Don't select poolside rooms or beachfront rooms--particularly in building 10 near the pool. Pool spa construction is LOUD, even inside your room!
2  Thank Courtney1980

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, especially during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you’ve experienced during your first two days. I do hope the rest of your stay exceeded your expectations and that you will reconsider your return to The Westin St. John. We would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a true Westin experience.