The Westin St. John Resort Villas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Caneel Bay Resort(Caneel Bay)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
View Hotel
Secret Harbour Beach Resort(Benner)
2,968 results
All reviewscruz baytrunk baybedroom villathomas airportpublic ferrymorgan's mangotime shareper personthree bedroomcinnamon baykids clubgolf cartbeautiful islandlime innisland tourjohn resortyour luggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Dear Westin Management,

I recently got married at the Wyndham Sugar Bay in St Thomas, and went to St John’s Westin property for my honeymoon. I want to thank your staff and management over in St Johns for ruining my honeymoon.

At arrival, my husband and I pulled up to the main lobby and unloaded our six suitcases from our car without any help form you bell men. There was no one around to help us, so we left them on the sidewalk as I continued to the front desk. There were two women behind the counters, and an empty lobby. I approached one of the ladies and asked if she was a manager. “Rahamee” said to me in a real cocky tone “YES” She did not introduce herself or welcome us to the Westin. I told her that my husband and I were here for our honeymoon; she didn’t seem to care and still did not welcome us. I explained that there was no one to help us with our bags, she rudely said well they most be busy! She called a bell man to escort us to our room. We went to our room for a few minutes to drop off our bags. My husband and I talked about how surprised we were with hospitality of the Westin, but went to the pool and tried to relax and start our honeymoon. At about 5 pm, we went back to our room to settle in and unpack. Within minutes we noticed how warm it was, and tried turning down the air conditioner to discover that it was no longer working. We also noticed many mosquitoes in our room so we called the main lobby. I spoke to a different manager named Hannah. I explained how the air conditioner was not working and about the many mosquitoes in our living space. Hannah said that they had some sort of power outage and that someone would be around shortly to fix the air conditioner. She also said that if we left our room for ½ hour or so she would have someone spray the mosquitoes. She did not offer any recommendations on where to go on the property and was very rude. I explained that we didn’t really want to leave our room; we were hoping to order room service and just spend time together. (We are on our honeymoon.) She became somewhat angry and said if we didn’t want to leave the room there was nothing she can do about the mosquitoes. I questioned why the room wasn't sprayed earlier in prepartion for any new guests checking in. She really didnt answer my question and said that it wasn't and if I wanted it sprayed now, we would have to leave. We asked her to just send someone up to fix the AC. A service man did not arrive at out room for nearly another 3 1/2 hours to fix the AC. He was nice and explained that he just got the call about our AC being broken 10 minutes ago. I was very frustrated and told him we called more then 3 hours ago. He quickly reprograms the AC Unit and it finally started to cool down. He also gave us bug spray and recommended that we wait to spray until we were leaving the room. At about 9:15 pm we went down to the restaurant near the beach. The hostess took us to our table, but did not even bother welcoming us or pulling out my chair, but instead taped on the chair. The server “Agenor” comes up to our table, looks at his clock and says are you ready to order. He did not welcome us or bother to introduce himself. I said can we just order drinks for now, because we didn’t get a chance to look at the menu yet? He said YEH but we shut down soon in a real rude tone!

This type of service continued for the next three days. The employees you have working at your property in St John’s are rude and always made us feel like we were bothering them The people at the breakfast buffet and especially at the omelet station were nasty. For example when we asked if they had spinach for the omelets, the lady making them said no, and then when I asked if she was sure she said let me check the back. She came back and threw some spinach in the eggs, WITHOUT bothering toeven cook the spinach.

All around, my husband and I went from staying at Wyndham where we were treated with the outmost respect and kindness to checking to the Westin where most of the employees were impolite and cruel, including managers. For the price we paid for three nights at the Westin, we could have stayed at the Wyndham for 8 nights. So once again I would like to thank you for one making me cry a number of times on my honeymoon, and two ruining what was supposed to be my best vacation EVER!

Rosie

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rli107
Westinstjohn, Camile, Guest Relations at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

We were so disappointed to read that your recent honeymoon stay was anything but amazing. We sincerely apologize that you encountered a lack of responsiveness to your concerns and issues while you were with us causing you frustration and sadness. We aspire to be intuitive and personable with each guest and especially when they are celebrating such a happy occasion and I do apologize that we fell short in this regard. Your detailed comments will be shared with our Management team as well as used in upcoming training exercises to improve each interaction with our guests and bring us to a higher level of instinctive service. Please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com; please type Camile – Guest Relations in the subject line and the best way that you may be reached.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We have stayed at the Westin twice and we are going back in October. Stayed in the hotel once and a two bedroom villa the other time. We have stayed at Caneel Bay too (we love the VI). In a nutshell, the Westin is a fine spot to base your adventure, but don't spend your time there. We prepurchased the villa through the resort - their pitch at selling a timeshare. We are returning because the price is decent by prepurchasing, BUT we won't be buying - way too many great rentals and other places to see. We travel with our teenage daughters and we spend one day only at the Westin pool. We do not eat any meals there and do not ever use their beach. The food and beach are fine, but other places on the island a cheaper and just about every other beach is superior. Places to eat: Asolare, Crazy Crackers, Skinny Legs, Morgan's Mango. For a nice meal out, go to the Equator at Caneel Bay - awesome. Have a few cold ones at Woody's. Hike a few of the trails and find secluded beached and sugar mill ruins - embrace the adventure! Buy this book: St John Off the Beaten Track by Gerald Singer. It has all of the trails, beaches, ruins, petroglyphs, etc. Hire a power boat with captain for a full day and hit the BVI, Jost is great (Foxys, Sidneys, Soggy Dollar), slide by the Willy T off of Norman Island (a floating bar on a permanently anchored boat). Simply stated - go for it. The place is amazing and you will have the best vacation ever if you don't sit at the resort.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Big_E27
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for several days for our honeymoon. From the time we reached the island, the staff was wonderful. We arrived before check-in and decided to go downtown for the St. John festival. The hotel staff kept our luggage in the locked storage area so that we could enjoy our day before we checked in. Once we checked in later that day, we were very pleased with our room. It was very clean. A hotel staff member called soon after we arrived to make sure our room was acceptable and to make sure we didn't need anything.

We ate dinner at The Beach Cafe and the main restaurant (forgot the name at the moment) while we were there. The Beach Cafe was a more casual, open air restaurant and it was nice. We enjoyed the steel drum player that played while we ate dinner. The main restaurant was fantastic! It was more upscale. Our food was delicious. We also ate the buffet breakfast each morning at The Beach Cafe. It was also very good and offered a variety of food from fruit, to omelets, to french toast to oatmeal and cereal.

The beach is man made (some earlier reviews complained about it) but we truly enjoyed it. I loved that you could enjoy the floats that the Westin offered! They were so nice to lay on in the ocean. The outside beach bar area also had live music several days, which we really enjoyed. The pool area was also very nice. There were always chairs available. You are given a towel card and were able to take as many towels as you needed for the day and when you returned them, they would return your card.

We also loved that taxis were readily available each day from morning to night, when you needed them. We left one morning very early for an excursion to Jost Van Dyke, BVI (definitely recommend this! Take the Calypso!) and a taxi was already out front waiting to go into town. Also, we left several nights to eat dinner downtown and we never had a problem getting a taxi.

I also had a massage at the spa and it was very nice. The masseuse was very professional and made it a very relaxing experience! I did not go to the gym but it looked nice and had several machines, weights, ellipticals, etc.

Overall, the Westin was an enjoyable experience for us. We truly enjoyed the resort. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was friendly and professional, the restaurants were great, and we really enjoyed the beach and pool area. I would definitely recommend staying at the Westin in St. John. We are planning a trip back very soon!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Westinstjohn, Camile, Guest Relations at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Thank you for the glowing review! Your comments are what we aspire for with all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise very soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2010

We spent 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa at this Westin which was rated top ten Carribean resorts by Travel + Leisure so we had fairly high expectations.

For starters the rate we booked per night was not honored and the front desk manager Ms. Jacksin was very unhelpful. Second, we were told by concierge that the shops at St. Thomas were opened on July 4. After a long and expensive trip there we found, to our disappointment, that the vast majority of the shops were closed. Third the WiFi in our room did not work and calls to the front desk were unhelpful. On several occasions I was put on hold for over 5 minutes. The pool was mediocre, not what we expected from a Westin, and the beach was average (small and the water was not clear like other beaches on the island).

The room we stayed in was nice. We would definitely go back to St. John's but would not stay in this Westin again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank woods39

I was disappointed to read that your recent stay with us was less than perfect. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of accurate information you received from our concierge regarding the shopping on St. Thomas as well as the problem with Wi-Fi in your room. These lapses in communication were no doubt frustrating and detracted from your stay. I will pass your comments on to our Management Team to evaluate ways to improve in communication through all levels of our resort. Our quarter acre freshwater pool has consistently been one of the highlights of our guests stay and we’ve received many compliments regarding the landscaping, layout as well as activities that are provided. I would like to visit with you regarding your stay and ways that we could improve as well as provide assistance for the incorrect rate you feel you were charged. I can be reached at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com. Please type Camile, Guest Relations in the subject line and provide me with the best way to reach you.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

My family and I stayed at the Westin on starpoints and it was fully worth it for what we got. We were originally booked in a pool side room, but as a platinum member with starwood we were upgraded to beachfront and it was a great location right on the beach. We litterally on ly had to walk about 15 feet to get on the sand. The only problen is that the water is only blue looking on sunny days, but the water is extremely warm. The weather was only good for the second half of our stay so we were a little disappointed with that, but the Westin can't control that. Make sure you go into town to eat the restaurants are very good there. We ate at the hotel's Cruz Bay Prime one night and it was pretty decent, but I would highly recommend to go eat at Zozo's or Uncle Joe's Barbecue because the foof is amazing there. Have fun with all the amazing beaches there. They are awesome. over all it was a great trip!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Westinstjohn, Camile, Guest Relations at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

It means alot to us here at the Westin St. John to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments and we hope you can return in the near future to enjoy more of our beautiful island! Warm Regards from Paradise, Camile