“This restaurant is a MUST on St. John!”
Review of De' Coal Pot

De' Coal Pot
Ranked #30 of 118 Restaurants in St. John
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I spent the day on St. John for the first time. We asked a local tour guide for a recommendation for a good restaurant that serves island cuisine and she took us to De Coal Pot. This was one of the best lunches/dinners I had on this vacation. The Creole that my husband ordered was so tasty and tender it practically fell off the bone. I ordered a whole fish meal that was out of this world in tastiness and freshness. The portions were very generous and each meal at lunch was served with 3 sides. Even the sides were wonderful. The sweet potato stuffing, the rice, the fresh steamed vegetables - just to name a few - were all fresh and abundant. It was just what we were looking for in dining experience and food. The server was very pleasant and funny and made us feel very welcome. It was a very homey and cool in the dining room. The drinks were typical but very cold and good. I can't wait to share this restaurant next year with some other family members when we return to St. John for vacation.

1  Thank rosinafrat

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Forget going to Gladys' Cafe on St. Thomas. On St. John—ZoZo's Ristorante? Morgan's Mango? Forget about it. You must go to De'Coal Pot.

This newly established restaurant on St. John boasts the premier quality and consistency for island cuisine. The curried goat and oxtail are by far the best options on the menu. And if you are fortunate enough to patron the restaurant on a Friday, you must order the conch soup—you will not be disappointed. Compliment your food with their signature soursop rum mixed drink, and you will know for sure that you've found the best food gem on St. John.

The price for food is well below the St. John norm, and the portions are very generous. Do yourself a favor and go to De' Coal Pot. Our family is just now returning from a 2-week vacation from St. John and have been fortunate to sample the vast variety of restaurants that St. John has to offer. Throughout the vacation we went to De' Coal Pot twice for dinner and once for lunch. Each time it felt like the food was better than the last.

*An insider's tip: The lunch menu has almost all of the dinner options and is essentially half the price.

The bottom line—De' Coal Pot is the overall winner. No doubt this will be rated St. John's best overall restaurant. When you are looking for local knock-you-out terrific food, go to De' Coal Pot.

**To Victoria, the owner: The Dubin family says, "Thank you for the best meals that we've eaten on St. John! You are phenomenal."

3  Thank David M
Reviewed 12 August 2014

At the recommendation of a few locals, my husband and I ate dinner at De' Coal Pot one evening.
The smell of good cooking that hits your nose once you open the front door pulls you right on in.
It's a small restaurant, not particularly fancy, just one waitress, but it is homey and the food is as good as it smells. Somehow that evening, the diners at all the tables got to talking with each other, then the owner and chef came out and joined in.
Another poster mentioned that the food took a long time coming out, well, it's freshly prepared and oh so worth the wait.
We started with Bacalao bites - salt cod balls that were so good, I was sad when the plate was empty.
Dinner was fillet of snapper, creole style for my husband, steamed with herbs for me. It was melt-in-your-mouth tender. All dinners come with 3 sides. Very generous portions, we were not able to finish our meal and took it home to our resort.
Pork,chicken, conch, oxtail and curry are some other offerings on the menu.
With two cold Presidente beer each, dinner for the two of us came out to $75, which on St. John, is a pretty good deal.
We travel to the island every year, and this will definitely become one of our regular dining spots.

1  Thank NY-Sue-NY
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at the fabulous Caneel Bay resort while in St John. Took a taxi to Cruz Bay ($5 each) for lunch. Visited De Coal Pot based on great reviews from TripAdvisor. We were very satisfied! The hostess was very nice and helpful. I had the tasty Chicken Creole with Fried Plantains, Rice, and Sweet Potato Stuffing. OMG! Everything was awesome and it was also the first time I had Fried Plantains.
Food prices are very high in St John for both vacationers and locals, but the prices at De Coal Pot were reasonable. I will certainly come back to this gem on my next trip to St John. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went 8/5 for lunch and had a blast! The room was air conditioned and nicely appointed. The food was wonderful!!! We had the chicken creole and the meat just fell off the bone, perfectly seasoned. My husband had fried plantains for the first time and loved them. The rice and other sides were great and I loved my passion fruit juice drink. The staff was gracious and fun.
Definitely plan to return to st John if only to eat there again.