“Great Italian”

Price range: US$12 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Da Livio is nestled in the heart of Cruz Bay. Offering an exclusive and authentic taste of Italy, we bring you a unique dining experience to the island that's not offered by any other restaurant around. Aside from bringing you a crafted menu, we are also a private distributor of wine and specialty imported goods. Each of our dishes are packed with outstandingly fresh ingredients that are all imported to ensure that we serve our original recipes the way they are indented. Choose from our handmade pastas and sauces to our brick oven pizza- everything is made from scratch, each time. From the Caputo flour, imported from Napoli and used in our dough- to the Faema E61 that is the only one on in the entire islands, come taste the difference and quality with us at Da Livio!
Massachusetts
“Great Italian”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Another one of our frequent places to eat while on island, We typically have the lobster ravoli and bologense as our meals and we have not been disappointed. A little out of the way spot and we have to try one of their pizzas, maybe next year!

• Visited May 2014

Powell, Ohio
“Authentic Italian dishes!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great menu, lots of variety, best pizza this side of Italy. Wait staff is very experienced and knowledgeable.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great Pizza, so-so Pasta”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to Da Livio on our last night in St. John. The service was very spotty and took about 20 minutes to be greeted by our server then another 20 minutes to get our drinks. It was not that busy, so we were not sure why it took so long. The pizza was great, it was grilled in a wood fire grill. The pasta was very al dente, and was just ok. We would go back for pizza to go, but not to dine in.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank JennyJoy2461
NJ
“You'd be better off digging sealife out of the sand on the beach..”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I'm exaggerating a little but it WOULD be quicker.

We stopped here on our last night in St. John. I felt bad for my meat-eating Italian husband who I had been dragging to every seafood restaurant I could find. He was so happy to find an Italian restaurant and, despite the small menu and the fact that the restaurant was nearly empty, I decided to give it a try. There was octopus on the menu and the atmosphere was cool. I understood the small menu because it was such a small place. Although my intuition told me that if every other restaurant had people spilling out onto the streets and this place was empty, I should probably leave.

So there was one large table when we came in. The kind that does take a lot of attention so that could explain a little delay. And we had time to kill..we enjoyed taking in the evening. However, it probably took 15-20 minutes for our apps. A tomato/mozz salad and the octopus app. They were fine, not great. Then we waited God know how long for our entrees. I can't express to you how long we waited. I actually asked to see the dessert menu while we waited to see if we could even want anything on it (I told the girl I needed "Something to read"). We must have had 3 bottles of water just because we were waiting so long (which cost 18--). My bronzino (a special) had been kind of poached or something. It was flavorless. I have ordered that many times in my life and I have never NOT liked it. Because, it is kind of difficult to mess up. The waitress hadn't listed prices (but nothing on the menu was outside the 20 range) so I didn't expect it to be 40. My husband's pasta arrived and he looked down at his tiny dish, then at me and said, "Wait the hell is this?" I couldn't help but laugh. It was like, a tapas portion of pasta. (They must have boiled each strand by hand). He said it tasted like they threw a can of crushed tomato into a tiny thimble of pasta -- that was about 25 dollars. Ironically, all of the pictures on the walls had people eating huge bowls of pasta.

We regretted it immensely. Dinner on the island is expensive but I don't care as long as I have something worth eating. This was as much as the excellent meals I have had at other places. But it was the worst dinner I had in St. John, and combined one of the worse dining experiences I have ever had. If the staff here chases you down the street offering you a free meal, and you have just had your wallet stolen..I'd go panhandle.

I will say that our waitress was pleasant and none of this was her fault. It was just the way the place is run.

The night was repaired a little when we stopped by Morgan's Mango and had an amazing key lime pie for dessert.

4 Thank PrincessFang
LivioLeoni, Owner at da Livio, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
My real answer to your "review" is something I can't say here...I will say you are just cheap people looking for a cheap plate of slop because it is the only food you have had since you are born...as the microwavable macaroni and cheese you serve everyday as dinner, but I do not, I take
a deep breath, stay calm and answer as cordially as I can.
I apologize for the experience you had in my restaurant please
give me another chance and I will give you a free Tiramisu. ;)
Best regards.
Burlingame, California
“Best Italian place I have ever been. I do not agree with other reviews”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

First my son got a seafood pasta. The food was cooked very well when he tasted it he said it was heaven. My other son got a pizza and it was well made and everything there is from Italy. Our family had every last piece even though we were full. Very good service waiter always is smiling and very happy. I very well recommend this restaurant. We are going there tomorrow and maybes the next day after that. 1,000,000 times better than ZoZo and way more worth it.

1 Thank travelmom2boys