“Disappointing hotel. Beautiful island!”

The Westin St. John Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lexington, Kentucky
“Disappointing hotel. Beautiful island!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I just left yesterday--a 2nd visit after staying here 12 years ago for our honeymoon... And sadly, nothing has changed for the better, it's only gone down hill. We have travelled extensively all over the world and this hotel is in no way a 4 star; it's barely a 2 star. The staff is rude; ordering a drink or lunch at the pool restaurant was a true burden to the wait staff. Regardless of how friendly we were or how well we tipped, we were greeted with grunts, rolls of the eye and just utter nastiness. The rooms are in major need of redecorating and the bathrooms need to be ripped out completely. I will never return to the this hotel and could never recommend it to anyone.

The island, however, is our favorite vacation spot in the world!! Stay at Caneel, rent a villa, just don't waste your money on this place. Westin should be embarrassed to claim this as their property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank swoodworth02
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I want to apologize that your second stay with us did not exceed your expectations. Our resort rooms were recently renovated, including the bathrooms, so we hope you will return in the future to see our improvements firsthand. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just got back from a week in St John - our fourth trip in about as many years. We have stayed at the Westin each time and it's always a pleasant experience. The staff has been very accommodating and helpful. My kids enjoyed the use of paddle boards, hobie cats and kayaks in the bay in front of the property. We rent a car and drive to a different beach each day the island is beautiful and we enjoy seeing as much as we can. There have been minor issues with small appliances not functioning which is annoying when you think what it costs to own or stay here but when I'm in paradise I quickly forget the inconvenience. Love the property the staff is really great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cinfisher
Thank you so much for consistently choosing the Westin St. John as your destination of choice when visiting the Virgin Islands. It sounds as though you enjoyed our amenities available and that your children enjoyed their experience as well. We can’t wait to welcome you back for another relaxing stay.
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I cannot even tell you how often we have visited this resort over the past few years. We travel here at least 2 times a year. Over the years we have tried several different options available.
Our first experience we took the Westin ferry for a 5 night stay. We didn't have a vehicle, but we rented one for 2 days at the car rental on site. Would never do that again. Way to expensive to go that route.
Our next several trips included 5-7 night stays in the hotel part of the resort. We used our points on our AMEX to stay here each and every time. We got to know the resort and the buildings we liked to stay in and in almost every occasion the staff was able to accommodate us. We learned to rent a Jeep on St Thomas and take the car barge over. We pay for one way trips so that we don't have to wait for the appropriate car barge to get back onto. We maybe spend 1 of our days at the Westin, the island is way too beautiful to just sit at the Westin pool or Great Cruz Bay.
We just returned from our trip in which which we stayed for 10 days with 6 people including a 4 and 5 year old. We traded our week at Vistana (Orlando) for points and were able to get a 3 bedroom villa for 6 nights and used our AMEX points for an additional 3 nights in a 2 bedroom villa. We were pleasantly surprised at check in to find that we were upgraded to a 3 bedroom villa for our entire stay and didn't need to change villas! We again rented a Jeep on St Thomas and learned over the past few visits that bringing a suitcase with food/meat is a big money saver. Another money saver, Cost U Less on St Thomas. Its a huge warehouse store like Costco/Bjs. We buy veggies/fruit/bread/milk etc..and alcohol here. Then head over to St John on the car barge.
The resort has been updating their status regularly and we knew what to expect in terms of renovation disruptions. The new pool deck is really great and spacious! I look forward to staying in the renovated hotel rooms in the fall.
I guess I just love this place way to much to really have any complaints. And if we ever did have issues, they were dealt with in a timely (island time is different people) and effective manner and we always were completely satisfied.
As for the hills...the whole island is a hill. I personally loved the hike up to the Bay Vista Villas. My littles loved to see who could get up the hill the fastest and enjoyed catching a few lizards along the way. The iguanas were also a hit for the boys. Shuttles are always available to anyone (owner or not) who would rather not walk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank hellomsangie
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to both the Westin St. John and Starwood Hotels and Resorts. It sounds as though you have figured out our property and the islands as a whole. Your suggestions are spot on and we thank you for taking the time to post a review. We truly appreciate your kind words and look forward to your next trip to see us.
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've held off reviewing this property because I wanted to let the dust settle and try to be objective about the pros and cons of this resort.

My best friend and I spent a week here in February, staying at a friend's time share villa. The price was very reasonable because he is a friend, but I would never pay the very steep rack rate the Westin usually charges. At the time of our trip, renovations were going on all over the resort, so that may color some of my opinions.

We stayed in the part of the property closest to the ocean, so that was a plus. I've seen negative comments about the beach area, but I personally thought it was clean, well maintained, and a great place to swim. The beach chairs were free and comfortable (unlike other public beaches where we had to pay for a beach chair), and it was nice to be able to pop back to the pool as well.

Our 3-bedroom villa was spacious and in fairly good condition, but persistent problems like a freezer that produced brown ice did not get fixed during the entire week, despite frequent calls and at least three visits from the "maintenance engineer." Our coffee pot had problems, too, but these minor issues didn't materially detract from an otherwise pleasant stay.

One word of warning - we saw LOTS of people with small babies or toddlers. This is a very hilly property, and it was amusing to watch people struggling with strollers up steep inclines. Be prepared for a lot of walking and some steep hills if you visit here.

I've given the staff an average rating because we weren't overlying impressed with their customer service or attitude - perhaps because we weren't "owners.". We waited a long time for help from the concierge staff, and one day during a pretty bad storm we asked if we could get an umbrella or some ponchos at the front desk. After waiting for a solid 20-25 minutes for the desk person to have someone bring us two disposable ponchos, he suddenly "discovered" them in a small bin about under the counter about two feet away from where he was standing. And then, he didn't really apologize, even though we were late for our dinner reservations because of the delay!

The fitness center is decent, and I loved the morning yoga and Pilates classes. The pool is large and fairly well maintained. I had a lovely 30 minute swim every day of our stay.

We cooked in the villa for breakfast and lunch and just went out for dinner, which helped save on costs. Groceries are very expensive on the island, and you really need a jeep to get around. Don't do a car like we did - the hills and switchbacks are pretty daunting, and although we traversed the entire island, I had more than a few white knuckled experiences.

The Westin is a very nice property - but if we ever go back, I think that I will want to spend a few days at another property on the island to get another perspective on the quality of the accommodations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nancyolah
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your details regarding our property and were glad to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back once again.
FL
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Although there were a few staff blunders, they made up for them promptly and to our satisfaction. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool area which we're told was recently rennovated. The bar not being open past 5 (sometimes 6, sometimes 7, seemed to depend on who you asked) was kind of disappointing, but you're only a 5 minute ride from Cruz Bay where all the fun beach bars are. Being close enough to, and far enough away from the little downtown area was a big plus in our book, very aceessible. We had a nice pool view rm which was well appointed and housekeeping did a nice job keeping it clean. We would definitely go back, had an amazing time!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SickBoy80
I was pleased to read that you had an amazing time and plan to return to The Westin St. John for another refreshing stay. I was also pleased to learn that while you had some concerns during your stay, we were able to address your concerns quickly and rectify the situation to your satisfaction. While things do happen, it is oftentimes the way in which we handle it and resolve the concerns that can make all the difference. Thank you for posting your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Syosset, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a few times over the last 10 years and I've never had a bad stay here, so my disposition is generally positive towards the property. If you are planning a stay here a few things you should know from the last time I was here:

1) They are redoing most of the garden view rooms to be villa/timeshares. This means that there is some construction on the property, but from where we were staying I can't say I was ever bothered by construction noise inconvenience. It also means that most of the hotel accommodations are either beach or pool view. In the past, I've been reluctant to book a garden room here because you sometimes get one that's a hike up the hill from the pool beach area - now I think there's only one or two buildings left that are garden view and they are only down in the "lower" part of the property closer to the beach

2) The beach cafe restaurant/bar is under construction. The food was never that good there anyway, but one side affect of this is that there isn't a bar open late night and if there is a wedding or party in the evening at the beach area, there's really not a bar at all in the evening.

3) On the plus side, they have invested in the property and the hotel rooms all look to be re-done. The buildings all have a fresh coat of paint, new shingles, etc. The carpet / bathrooms etc. were starting to look a little worn the last time I was here about 3 years ago, so they were due an upgrade. Not super fancier, mind you, just newer. My only gripe about the room, was it was 2 full (double) beds, not 2 queen.

Overall a great stay. My daughter used the kids club and we were very happy with the staff there. As other reviewers have noted, the beach isn't the tropical paradise you might have imagined when you booked your stay here. The beach at Caneel is much better but hey, Caneel is way more expensive then here so you get what you pay for. If you stay here rent a car or take a taxi to the north shore beaches! They really are some of the nicest beaches anywhere, and this is coming from someone who went to hawaii last year. The pool at the Westin is really nice and looks to have been given a bit of a refresher as well since I was last here (new stone / chairs, etc.)

Room Tip: Buildings 111, 112 are farthest from the construction.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Matt S
Thank you for your detailed review regarding our renovation. You were correct in that our Beachfront and Poolside rooms were recently renovated, along with our pool deck. I was glad to hear your daughter enjoyed our associates at the Kids Club. They will be happy to know they enhanced her stay. Thanks again for posting your feedback and based on your continuous return over the years, we look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We shared a villa with good friends. It was 2 bedroom 3 full bath set up with full kitchen. The resort was undergoing a major renovation in multiple areas. The work did not affect our stay as the staff and other amenities made up for some things that were shut down, like the beach bar. We drank , ate and spent time at the pool and beach. The food was very good with excellent selections. One of the drinks that came in a small beach bucket was all the rage with the guests. We ate in the Restraunt over the lobby and had excellent service and meal. The taxi mini bus was present on site for trips anywhere on the island. We rented a Jeep for 3 days of exploring the island and beach going to all of the famous and obscure places. We did the all day Island Time boat trip to the British V.I. . It was a great day and we all loved it. We saw VirginGorda and the Baths, Cooper Island for a great lunch, Norman Island for snorkeling and afternoon drinks and treats on the Pirate barge. There was a generous open bar for the return to St. John. The crew of Island Time were really fun , friendly, engaging , and very generous with their knowledge of the area. We were quite spoiled as there were only 15 of us on a trip that usually carried 30-50 people in high season. We usually do not stay in Resorts this large. It was more spread out than large, with no ugly high rise towers. Fantastic lush island landscaping throughout the resort . I would definitely like to return and explore the whole area more. Do more day trips by boat . Do some scuba diving .and chilllllll......

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Jawdoc524
GMMikeRyan, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review. On behalf of the Staff and Management team here at the Westin St. John, we thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and learning about your recent stay. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your two bedroom villa accommodations, your trip with Cruz Bay Watersports and our dining outlets on property. It sounds as though your stay left you feeling relaxed, refreshed, and at your best, nd that was certainly our goal. Thanks again and we’ll see you again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!