We just finished our bi-annual visit to our home resort here on St. John. As always the grounds are beautiful but things seemed a bit different this time:
1) There are a lot of construction projects on the premises. These are needed but distract, of course, from the beauty. Noise is also an issue but unavoidable. The biggest inconvenience is a few paths through the property are closed necessitating a much longer walk to the parking lot, etc.
2) This wouldn't be an issue if they had the same amount of golf cars shuttling guests around. There seemed to be much fewer than in years past. Drivers too were not nearly as friendly as on previous trips.
3) Signage has not yet been altered around the resort. Even temporary signage would help. e.g. the store on the property has moved but that is not reflected anywhere. And while the old store had lots of provisions, choices and good sandwiches available, the new one has a much stodgier feel with a greatly restricted amount of items available.
4) In general, the staff was much less friendly and welcoming than on previous visits. This may reflect stress from the renovations, but hey we still paid to be there.
5) We were told that the resort is changing ownership to Starwood Vacation Ownership as it converts to all villas. It may be this change that resulted in less friendly staff. Last year we stayed at the Cancun property- it was a world of difference in how we felt welcomed and were treated.
I've always been impressed at how good a job Starwood does at making guests feel "special". Did not see it at this resort right now. Hope it gets back on track.
The unit -we own in Bay Vista was fine. We actually had a vista (view) of the Bay which not all units have. The furnishings are showing some wear, but I know the owner's association is working on replacing them. Overall, a bit disappointed compared to previous visits. But the island itself is great, beaches as beautiful as ever and the flora and fauna seemed much healthier and more lush. Very happy to see that the coral is making a comeback.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 1,200 feet of private beach, The Westin St. John Resort makes for the perfect island retreat. Stay in spacious rooms with ocean views from private balconies or patios. Guests can enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin St. John Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Westin St. John Resort And Villas
- Westin Cruz Bay
- Cruz Bay Westin
- St John Westin
- The Westin St. John Resort Cruz Bay