“Don't stay here!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
Ranked #5 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I want to start by saying Stephanie, the manager, was very helpful and accommodating. Everything else was totally horrible. My reservation at the Tamarind was set up for me and, surprisingly, the trip advisor reviews I read beforehand were not terrible. I only intended to stay for 3 nights and I wasn't expecting a high end experience, but I was expecting a decent place. It is not! Frankly I don't understand why the other reviews of this place do not reflect the same experience I had.

The room she showed me to was old, cheaply furnished and smelled so bad that I immediately got a migraine headache. It smelled like a combination of bleach, overwhelming potpourri and dampness. The only windows in the room were screens covered by metal jalousies so your choice would be to use the AC and stay in what amounted to a box or forego the AC and sweat by opening the jalousies.

Cheap flooring, filthy bamboo blinds, beds I didn't even want to put my luggage on let alone my body, broken tiles in the bathroom, rusted AC units, the list goes on. Then Stephanie showed me another room which at least had windows but the same dreadful smell and shabby furnishings. When I told her I couldn't stay there, she tried to help me find another hotel. I did find something else wonderful on my own for the same price and she refunded my deposit.

One of the reasons I want to give this review is so that people who consider this place to stay will know what to expect and not be blindsided like I was by reviews that give a false picture of the Tamarind.

I have heard from other people on the island that the owners of this business and of this property are unwilling to invest any money into improvements. So if that's true, it's understandable that the on site management has their hands tied. Understandable but still unacceptable from my view as the potential guest.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank tapestryoftravel

Reviewed 15 May 2014

These are very basic rooms. No phone, no fridge. TV, fan , air conditioning. Small. We didn't spend much time there, we were at the beach or town. There is a courtyard. They have meals and drinks. Sometimes there is live music. Had some jerk chicken that was awesome, from there. Con: noisy. Pro: walking distance to town.

Room Tip: I would try and book a room to the inside, toward the courtyard. That would help with street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have been staying at the Tamarind for years and wouldn't think of going any other place. The staff makes our stay feel like home every time. The courtyard and bar provide for a friendly hangout to grab a drink and dream of becoming a local. We really enjoy the beach chairs and coolers that are available which make our beach days great. All of Cruz Bay is easily within walking distance, and if you choose to rent a Jeep there is ample off street parking in the rear- a luxury in Love City. If you aren't into fake beaches and pretentiousness of the Weston, this place is for you.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay there & the price was great, the people were friendly, the a/c works &,& the staff WILL help you if you ask you can bet I'm heading back. P.S. do your research before you go you're not staying @ the Ritz

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Check in was with a very rude lady who's first question was: Last name please, without once making us feel welcome. When asked about which way to the beach she said it: You're on an island, it's all around! Btw, you needed to drive to the beach and we had a car but needed her to point in the right direction but she pointed to the room and let us help ourselves there.
Motel-like, extremely stuffy, that basically has paper wall. No views of beautiful St. John. No one to give advice on where to go or any security after dinner hours. Gate is open for all basically. I would suggest to might as well pay a little more and stay at a better place where it may be worth your money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Thin thread-bare sheets needed replacing years ago. Cheapest possible, thin, old spring mattress they could find, smaller than a twin, just bigger than a cot. Floors falling apart. Not clean like it was. Very disappointing. In dire need of a remodel. Stayed here six years ago and it was much better then. Gave it 1 stars for price but would have given it a zero

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank P L
Reviewed 24 April 2014

then it's fine. Great location and friendly staff, but we're talking about barking dogs behind the inn at 2,3,4a as well as cocks going off throughout the night (which is super common in the VI). The room reminded us of being in the hull of a ship as every time the wind would blow, the roof creaked like there was someone walking around on top of it.

I hate to bash on places, but felt I should warn people. I would pass and spend the extra money for the Westin or any other place a little more out of the action...especially for a honeymoon or any other special occasion.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple