“Perfect for the Solo Traveller”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cruz Bay
Inn at Tamarind Court
Ranked #4 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Malden, Massachusetts
“Perfect for the Solo Traveller”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

I recently stayed three nights on SJ at The Tamarind. It is easily the best buy on the island. The single room is cool, clean and comfortable. The shared facilities are more than adequate. I have never had to wait for the shower or the jake. The bar serves reasonably priced drinks and food. A different cook prepares the meals nightly which is terrific. You are a five minute walk to a dozen good restaurants. These places differ greatly in price but I have found that the quality is very good in all of them.
The natural beauty of SJ is why we come. Leaving Tam Court you walk five minutes and you are on a trail that takes you to Salomen or Honeymoon Beach. Spectacular is the word for these places. I would grab a beach towell and snorkel gear at Tam and throw them in your backpack and enjoy the thirty minute walk out to the beach. Use it as a workout, so that the first plunge into the water is even more satisfying. Get a ziplock bag and put some beer and ice. They will make you a giant rum punch for water bottle if you so desire.
I think Tam Court is a great place. Please don't tell anyone so that I will always be able to get in there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank maldenken44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Western NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

The bed was comfortable and the room clean. As in many Caribbean locations, the outside noises of roosters and service vehicles were present. The loud air conditioning unit drown them out. It served its purpose for us and the rate was good.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
West Chester, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

Just like the rest of St. John, the place is pretty laid back. The office may, or may not, open in the hours listed. I stayed in the budget single room and it was just what i was looking for, but no more.And that was good with me. To say the place needs a good updating or refurbish is an understatement, but the bed was clean, the AC was cold, it was quiet, the shower worked, and thats all i needed.
If you have never traveled 'down and dirty' you may not want to stay here. But i will stay here again - got agood nights rest (so much so I slept well past my intended hour of rise, mainly because the shudders do not open in the room and bearly a peep of outside light gets in). There is a bar and restaurant right outside my door in the courtyard, i only had the continental breakfast but others there said the food was good.
The people were nice and I spent a fine evening on the porch with a few new friends, enjoying cold beverages and discussing the island life -before of course the the beverages kicked in and the conversation turned to religion and politics, a sure-fire way to see what folks are really made of! I enjoyed my evenings and stay at the Tamarind.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank stargazer14
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

I travelled alone to St John just for a short stay so i needed to find something economical. I stayed two nights in a single room with shared bath. The rooms were clean and I never ran into anyone else in the bathrooms hichc were also clean. I think it was about 3 single rooms per shared bath, so the ratio is good. Great little restaruant and bar downstairs and convenient to Cruz Bay and Lind Point trail.
I was ready to give this place rave reviews upon initial arrival. Staff was friendly, ambiance was good. However, I got eaten alive by bugs at night. not sure if there were bed bugs or no see-ums, but I had welts on my legs for weeks afterwards. maybe I just got unlucky. I would probably stay here again for a few nights, but will wear long pants and sleeves next time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank soxn7
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I came to St John for a May 2nd wedding for my son and had a wonderful time. I loved
staying at Tamarind Court. I stay in a single. At first I was a bit nervous at sharing a
bath, but found that the experience of it only added to the flavor and ambiance of the
court and of my whole trip. The room and bath where always clean and fresh. The service excellent and friendly. Breakfast was wonderful - perfect portions, tasted great and the price wow! - so inexpensive. What a great way to start a day by sitting in the
courtyard and having a tasty breakfast and just enjoying the beginning of a new day. I
especially loved how close and easy it was to take in Cruz Bay by foot. Dinners where
delightful also, that different chef each night is great.

All of the staff at Tamarind Court where kind, courteous and ever so helpful in
every way possible. It was so easy to relax and enjoy everything.

The only one problem I had (and it wasn't the inns fault) was not being able to catch my 8:15 AM flight. The boat back to St Thomas in the morning leaves at 7:00 not early enough to catch my plane. I had to reschedule my flight. I just didn't know or think about the logistics of it. A note for the future - you may want to remind future guests that they can't catch an early flights out of St Thomas but should schedule afternoon flights because it does take some time to get back due to the boat shuttle departure times.

Thanks so much for making my stay and vacation absolutely wonderful.

Sheila
Mississippi

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank whydah
Mendota Heights, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

I stayed for a week by myself at the Inn at Tamarind Court. After living on a cramped sailboat with 7 other people for a week in the British Virgin Islands, I was happy to finally have some privacy. There's nothing fancy about the Inn at Tamarind Court. It doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. It's clean, comfortable and relatively quiet. The staff is helpful and friendly. There's a laundry/dry cleaners next door; I gave them my week's worth of dirty clothes and later that day they handed them back to me clean & pressed. From the Inn at Tamarind Court, you can walk to the ferry landing in about five minutes and to the National Park headquarters in about 20 minutes. Honeymoon Bay has a pristine beach and is about a half-hour walk. The nearby downtown has a couple of grocery stores, tourist shops, bars and restaurants as well as a dive shop. The restuarnt menu has a variety of items on it that are modestly priced. Don't expect luxury, and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank BillyPuba
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

The over priced one bedroom apartment was small dark and poorly furnished. The "locals favorite" breakfast was not included and disappointing. Notice there are no pictures of their property on their site.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family